Posts: 132 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ jodhpur
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Tested hard-drive enclosure, flash-drive, mouse, and network dongle, all work. Thanks.
network dongle working for networking ?

I'm using usb ethernet adapter with wpa_supplicant for 802.1x authentification and it working fine :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Grabbed the latest release and tested my yp-u3 samsung mp3 player, it now mounts up about 60% which is similar to my sandisk 16gb flash drive, I thing that the N900 just misses the connect sometimes.
The only upgrade I can think of is being able to reclick the host mode (with boost) button to renegotiate the connection in case of a failed connect rather than having to hit client mode and then back to host again.
I use host mode and a flash drive constantly now, it is so natural and intergrated vs. HEN, as the prefered way to transfer larger files from my laptop or friends to my N900s SD card vs SCP'ing it and having to waaaait.
You need to get this into CSSU, this is the type of very useful and well intergrated into the normal everyday communication upgrades Nokia should have done long ago. There is a reason even back with HEN eBay had so many host mode cables for the N900, people need this, you moved it from crude hack to part of the machine.

Last edited by biketool; 2012-12-21 at 11:23.

never got this working on my device.i use a usb hub.always getting "unable to connect:no filesystem available" for all devices i hav tried

The Following User Says Thank You to octave For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Anyone experiencing the near lockup or even crash when transferring large files from your laptop using USB host mode and a flash drive to dump it into your internal memory can follow this thread, it worked for me, I made a custom profile with swappolube, it also helped with big transfers over network and from the SD card to my EMMC. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=69973
The issue is apparently large writes to the EMMC which also is home to the 1gb swap partition gets overloaded with input/output.

Last edited by biketool; 2012-12-31 at 17:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Lima, Peru
installed kernel power v51(r1) CSSU stable and mecledpattern then reboot but when I tried install deb package usb mode, its imposible install this one
Please any suggestion?

and can you write reason why it is impossible?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
For those enjoying USB mode... I found an interesting cheep item online that claims to be usable with the N900 (no, really, right on the page...)

I got a couple, and will let you know how they work when they get here in a few weeks. But for the price is worth trying them out. Standard caveats apply: Don't put pressure on your USB port. Don't try to use this to hold your device in the air. Don't play tennis with your N900. Etc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Hello,

I'll start with the usual apologies in case these questions have already been dealt with.

I can see two extra USB modes that usbhost could usefully provide:

1. Force charging (with optional selection of charging rate) from dumb charger that doesn't short the data lines, or from netbook with 'provide charge while turned off' USB port.
2. Peripheral mode without charging. Useful when you connect the N900 to another portable device that doesn't have much power to spare.

Are either of these possible?

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to avidscavenger For This Useful Post:
@avidscavenger: yes, look at bq2415x_charger kernel module. It has 3 charger modes: none, host (usn charger) and dedicated (for wallcharger).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:

Tags
usbmode