MWC is getting nearer and we have had some rumours/tweets on new features that are to be presented in Barcelona. Some more information in this news article (in Finnish) titled:
Jolla has high hopes for Barcelona - "News are on their way"
http://www.tekniikkatalous.fi/ict/jo...saquot/a966903

Summary:
-New features (as expected) and some more information on TOH
-Jolla have 100 squaremeters of space, ~20 people from executives and sales, a big investment says CEO Pienimäki
-They are meeting operators and other partners, no deals expected to be made but they are starting the conversations
-They have shipped the pre-orders in Finland, some tens of thousands (not quite clear whether this includes all the pre-orders or just those from Finland). Next up is Portugal, webstore is of course already open.
-Expectations on China have been toned down a bit, it requires localisation and volume.
-Their goal is to sell several hundreds of thousands of phones this year.
-The next phone is being designed, but right now they want to concentrate on launching the first device. The launch of the second device will most likely be during 2015.
-They are trying to improve the OS and apps so that the platform would raise interest among the other manufacturers.
-As they are using the same components as Android phones, they are able to order more devices fast.
-There is a interest towards Jolla due to Android and WP are seen as less trustworthy due to NSA.
-They employ around 90 people at the moment, looking for mostly some exceptional talents although they get a huge amount of applications all the time.

So, what features do you expect them to present in MWC? Something that has been discussed/requested in jolla.together? Something totally unexpected?

Last edited by Tujutzki; 2014-02-12 at 11:33.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Tujutzki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Really disapointing interview.

Seems like they haven't really advanced at all on the business side of things since they annouced the DNA deal long long time ago. Release in China seems to be cancelled, so its more of a backward movement.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Seems like they haven't really advanced at all on the business side of things since they annouced the DNA deal long long time ago. Release in China seems to be cancelled, so its more of a backward movement.
I agree. It seems that operators and other partners have been waiting all this time for Sailfish to mature and show whether it can really be a viable platform. Pienimäki implicitly mentioned that these updates (ie. the browser working in landscape mode) to the software have been important in this regard as well.

Unfortunately their failures in China were quite apparent past 6 months thinking what they had talked yearly last year. Europe was their home market, but China was the wild card volume market. That's what I always got out of their talks.
Possible set backs with D.Phone because of he delay? Who knows. It's a market they absolutely need. I just can't see them selling anywhere near their projected sales this year with Europe being the main market.

Whatever the reason was to delay next phone till next year, that's probably the right thing to do.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
No point in releasing new phone until they can sell it somewhere.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
New device in 2015? That's something, but quite a long wait still.

Originally Posted by Tujutzki View Post
So, what features do you expect them to present in MWC? Something that has been discussed/requested in jolla.together? Something totally unexpected?
What about another version of the first device with different modem in 2014 to address North American users? They didn't address that at all yet.

Last edited by shmerl; 2014-02-12 at 16:12.

they have limited resources and they are fighting against behemoths. they have to prioritize how they attack the market. we don't know the full inside story so cut them some slack and show them as much support as you can if you like Sailfish and Jolla.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
I'm glad to support them, but I hope they won't leave their potential users out until 2015. I.e. I'll support them with buying the device when I'll be able to use it on my network with 3G or LTE. Other than that I support them in different ways.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
While that is true there is one thing you are missing with that statement..
No point having a company that don't Sell anything so let's say we have to wait until mid 2015. Who is paying the salaries?

Who is wasting money in the company at the moment?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
they can't see it somewhere i suppose until they polish up the OS. that's probably why the first set of Jolla phones have been launched (just an educated guess).

The Following User Says Thank You to droll For This Useful Post: