Posts: 73 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
I'm most worried about design, appearance and ergonomics.

Nokia seems pretty decent at getting the hardware where it needs to go.

I'm amazed at people like sachin007 who are obsessed with specs and only seem to care that numbers increased not that the increased numbers mean anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to killdeer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Yes i am concerned about the 128mb ram.

It is totally unacceptable if true. You will find most people disappointed with that.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
- 1Gbit =128MB (hello 256MB Pandora :-) K4X1G323PC Samsung DDR mobile RAM, EDIT: adding support for bigger chip is perhaps trivial and 256MB chips are becoming cheap and widely available now (hello beagleboard rev C, hello pandora again) so it is quite likely final product will have it. After all the additional hardware (DSP, 3D chip, cameras) eats some RAM too so 128 may be really tight on OMAP3
I did a search on that Samsung part number and found this:
http://www.samsung.com/global/system...R_DDR_code.pdf

This document was last updated on November 2008, and mysteriously there is a part with "2G" as 4th and 5th digit marked as red. Does red mean that it is a brand new part that was just added? Either way, this is just to show that there is 256MB RAM chip available (or available soon?) in the same package. If so then RX-51 should work with either 128MB or 256MB or RAM without any change in motherboard, just a change in RAM chip. (Maybe this happened with the Pandora case too, when the 256MB chips became available they just announced the memory upgrade...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by spartanNTX View Post
That is cool- how common is this? I don't know that I've seen that in any of the iPod transmitters or any other small transmitter before.
The newest Nseries smartphones with built-in FM transmitters show "Nokia" as RDS information, the SE feature phones with FM transmitters even send song infos afaik...
Seems like Nokia is going to integrate the next gen tablets nicely into the Nseries range, since FM transmitters were called a new standard feature for Nseries when the N79/N85 were presented

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chlettn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
If so then RX-51 should work with either 128MB or 256MB or RAM without any change in motherboard, just a change in RAM chip. (Maybe this happened with the Pandora case too, when the 256MB chips became available they just announced the memory upgrade...)
Yes. Also the kernel changelong mentions rx-51 for the first time in March (or maybe April) so at that time getting 256MB was probably hard even if they planned to use it in future. For Pandora the price difference between those two RAM chips is < 9 USD (current Digikey price in relatively small quantities).

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
- keyboard similar to N810 one + 5 buttons (mapped to F6-F10) + camera buttons (shutter, focus)
5 buttons? Would that mean there'll be less hardware buttons? Depending on how you count, now we have:
  1. + (zoom in)
  2. - (zoom out)
  3. maximize
  4. home
  5. menu
  6. escape ("back")
  7. plus 5 buttons on the D-pad

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
If you know anything about digital photography, you know that 5MP is plenty big enough; I've seen a study where they tested people to see if they could see the difference that extra megapixels made in highly enlarged photos, and the vast majority couldn't even tell the difference.

I personally don't want gigantic 8 or 10 megapixel photos jamming up my memory cards.

The question is not, "How many megapixels?" but, "what kind of optics?" and you can't learn about that from the kernel source.

EDIT: The other problem is sufficient lighting, and that usually means a flash. And a flash is a real battery drainer.

Some interesting reading:
The Megapixel Myth
Do Megapixels Make A Difference?

Last edited by qole; 2008-12-09 at 20:51.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
escape sends normal key code for escape key and d-pad sends up/down/left/right/enter so is should be OK, what surprised me is that current tablets map those buttons to F4-F8

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
I've got two cameras of nearly the same model, the only difference is that one is 6 megapixels and the other 8 (IIRC).. everything else is the same. Most importantly, the CCD is the same size, so the 8MP version has smaller pixels.

The result? Smaller pixels: Smaller light-collecting area. Less photons: the light sensitivity went out the window. The 'new' higher-pixel model is close to useless compared to the earlier model, as the 6MP version works just fine in twilight while it's difficult to even focus in indoor lightning or cloudy afternoon with the 8MP version. And, as the new model compensates for less light sensitivity by slowing down the shutter I get much shakier images.

No, give me max. 6-7MP any day, the pixel mania only results in bigger pictures for no reason, and less light sensitivity. At least for compact cameras. The best SLR cameras (with large CCDs too) can afford many megapixels, but I wish they could leave the compact cameras (and by extension, phone cameras) out of this *****ic race. Heck, it's quite impossible to buy anything below 10MP these days - I've tried. Argh..

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
OT... but I was wondering why my earlier old 3Mpix Olympus appeared superior to my new 6Mpix Olympus, while the optics were very similar. Now I think you have answered to my question...

Tags
fremantle, iphone killer, n900, rover, rx-51