Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
omapfb is yet to be released.
One curiosity: OmapFB is only a SINK or a SRC also ?
More precisely it can be used to grab omapgfx with less override than x11imagesrc ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
One curiosity: OmapFB is only a SINK or a SRC also ?
More precisely it can be used to grab omapgfx with less override than x11imagesrc ?
only a sink, my main idea adding xoverlay support was to offload CPU while recording video, hopefully reducing stutter in recorded video. While using omapfb as preview sink loads CPU only 20%-30% @250MHz (1280x720@30fps) there is still some stuttering. Seems the roots of dropped frames in videos recorded with n900 camera are not in CPU load. Yet to find the real cause.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
only a sink, my main idea adding xoverlay support was to offload CPU while recording video, hopefully reducing stutter in recorded video. While using omapfb as preview sink loads CPU only 20%-30% @250MHz (1280x720@30fps) there is still some stuttering. Seems the roots of dropped frames in videos recorded with n900 camera are not in CPU load. Yet to find the real cause.
The timer is the cause. The number of task switches is bounded by the timer, and the N900 is at 128 Hz. It happened in my computer, the default kernel is compiled with a 100 Hz timer, and while it has cpu enough for real time xvid capture it stuttered. Once I changed the timer to 1000Hz, even with high cpu load it doesn't stutter.
Try building a kernel with CONFIG_HZ=256 and CONFIG_OMAP_32K_TIMER_HZ=256, or even 512 (my DT kernels for the N810 are at 256 with no ill effects at all, and the N810 has a much slower cpu)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
The timer is the cause. The number of task switches is bounded by the timer, and the N900 is at 128 Hz. It happened in my computer, the default kernel is compiled with a 100 Hz timer, and while it has cpu enough for real time xvid capture it stuttered. Once I changed the timer to 1000Hz, even with high cpu load it doesn't stutter.
Try building a kernel with CONFIG_HZ=256 and CONFIG_OMAP_32K_TIMER_HZ=256, or even 512 (my DT kernels for the N810 are at 256 with no ill effects at all, and the N810 has a much slower cpu)
Thanks for the hint, will try. Just wonder how this will affect battery life and performance (having in mind BTB flush on context switch because of thumb errata fix)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
OK can someone for pete sake translate what just the #$%^& happened in the last 10 posts in lamens terms ?

There seems to be a lot of brain matter being splattered all over ddddddddddd place
PUN INTENDED!

All in all because we are dealing with A/V we want to avoid any issues with _playback_ for file degeneration sake.

- What is the absolute best (most optimized) way/format to encode movies (BD/DV Rips) for the n9/8 00 ?
In other words I really could give a **** if the files end up being huge enough not to make a difference. As long as playing them is smooth.

- What is the most ideal settings for DSP overclock ?

- Is anyone else experiencing playback stutter in the first few minutes of playing large mp4's ?
How can we combat this ?

Totally trying to look at things strategically here....

Last edited by mmaadx; 2012-01-15 at 21:35.

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
Thanks for the hint, will try. Just wonder how this will affect battery life and performance (having in mind BTB flush on context switch because of thumb errata fix)
I build latest kernel (modified 12-Jan) from git with 256Hz and 512Hz, but still video recording was stuttered.

I ran almost 3 days (w/o charging and 20% juice left) with 256Hz without noticing any negative affect to battery life compared to 128Hz. Also no other issues observed during usage.

Today I compiled kernel with 512Hz and first impression was that device is much faster. Responsiveness is improved and application loading time seems to be shorter. Can't say how much, but feeling is that you can really notice it. I didn't notice this kind of change when updated from 128Hz to 256Hz.

Let's see what is impact to battery life with same setting and use profile that I had with 256Hz testing.

Last edited by Gusse; 2012-01-16 at 20:18.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Gusse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
This is getting REALLY interesting!!
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

Originally Posted by Gusse View Post
I build latest kernel (modified 12-Jan) from git with 256Hz and 512Hz, but still video recording was stuttered.

I ran almost 3 days (w/o charging and 20% juice left) with 256Hz without noticing any negative affect to battery life compared to 128Hz. Also no other issues observed during usage.

Today I compiled kernel with 512Hz and first impression was that device is much faster. Responsiveness is improved and application loading time seems to be shorter. Can't say how much, but feeling is that you can really notice it. I didn't notice this kind of change when updated from 128Hz to 256Hz.

Let's see what is impact to battery life with same setting and use profile that I had with 256Hz testing.
What? I thought the linux kernel went tickless from around version 2.6.24?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
What? I thought the linux kernel went tickless from around version 2.6.24?
This is a config option to allow using less power. IIRC it is disabled in Nokia kernel because of broken Pulse timeslicing.

Well, CONFIG_NO_HZ=y in KP, I am lost what actually CONFIG_HZ=256 and CONFIG_OMAP_32K_TIMER_HZ=256 (or 512) is doing.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:

Tags
balls, gpl violation, hackjobs, lgpl violation, nokia, upgrade..., video player