Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 384 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
i found a way

dpkg --purge xsnow

that did the trick

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I think that itīs indeed uninstalled but config files are left in home directory e.g. ./xsnow. Iīm not sure if itīs possible to remove packages completely with apt-get --purge remove <package>. Weird that maemo-list... command list it. Probably package doesn't remove itself correctly from system.

To see what kind of config directories you have in your home directory you can use command
ls -a
which lists all directories and files, hidden also.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
14.5 Using dpkg manually

The simplest way to install a single package you've downloaded is the command dpkg -i (short for dpkg --install). Say you've downloaded the package icewm_0.8.12-1.deb and you'd like to install it. First log on as root, then type:

dpkg -i icewm_0.8.12-1.deb

and icewm version 0.8.12 will be installed. If you already had an older version, dpkg will upgrade it rather than installing both versions at once.

If you want to remove a package, you have two options. The first is most intuitive:

dpkg -r icewm

This will remove the icewm package (-r is short for --remove). Note that you give only the 'icewm' for --remove, while --install requires the entire .deb filename.

--remove will leave configuration files for the package on your system. A configuration file is defined as any file you might have edited in order to customize the program for your system or your preferences. This way, if you later reinstall the package, you won't have to set everything up a second time.

However, you might want to erase the configuration files too, so dpkg also provides a --purge option. dpkg --purge icewm will permanently delete every last file associated with the icewm package.

interesting stuff ... found a bunch of apps listed though they were uninstalled .... hope purge is doing the job!

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ india
hildon causing the same problem on my n900
hildon-input-method is using 93%cpu memory
trying to figure out how to disable/ uninstall apps that are causing problems

any thoughts

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ New York, NY
I just got this problem as well. hildon-home is always in the high 90% mark, and just drains the battery very quickly. I tried killing it, but it just comes back as another process. Also, most of the icons on my desktop have disappeared. Could someone please help??!!

Originally Posted by jmc8501 View Post
I just got this problem as well. hildon-home is always in the high 90% mark, and just drains the battery very quickly. I tried killing it, but it just comes back as another process. Also, most of the icons on my desktop have disappeared. Could someone please help??!!
I'd suggest a reboot as the first step. I've recently started using Matan's modified Hildon Desktop package and it seems to have fixed some issues. My basic approach before hand was to assume that messing with the desktop widgets/shortcuts would warrant a reboot as not rebooting would result in eventual disappointment By this, I mean moving or adding items on the desktops.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

I've rebooted a number of times, as well as restoring from a backup from a month ago (the problem just started today), and then rebooting a few times as well.

Another symptom of this problem is that I cannot add icons to the desktop. The only icons currently on the desktop are some bookmarks. When I try to add icon/shortcuts/etc, I can press on the little gear which darken the desktop, but not on the dropdown menu to actually do so

I think I solved the problem! Sort of...

So I have the "Desktop Activity Manager" installed, and I had previously saved a few different types of configurations. So I decided to load one of them, and, after telling me a few times if I wanted to kill hildon-home (to which I replied yes) it loaded the configuration, widgets and icon and all, and best of all, the processes had gone down to their normal level.

However, when trying to switch back to my default configuration, the problem persists.

I'll do a bit more tinkering, but anyone have any ideas?

The Following User Says Thank You to jmc8501 For This Useful Post: