Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Currently, I am putting the referendum out there so it can be crowdsourced before August 22 and people won't vote against it merely because of the wording or something like that.
Please consider hosting the master referendum on a wiki page here... as I noted in qole's thread, input is already scattering...

(thank this post if you agree)

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by qole View Post
SD69: I'm sorry that you think I am against "keeping maemo alive".

We all care, otherwise we wouldn't be here, so please don't try to make it sound like those who aren't in agreement with your ideas just want Maemo to die.
Qole: I am sure you care and that you have reached your position with regrettable sadness and melancholy, and you wish that Nokia funding would continue so things could be otherwise. I will grant that for you the decision feels a bit like that of reluctantly deciding to euthanize a pet and that you didn't want it to happen.

You haven't read the referendum carefully. I will respond on the merits during the debate period (August 22 - September 22).

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
You must remember, the council / community has no real power here. We're not paying anyone to do anything, the money is coming from Nokia, so we have to be very reasonable and persuasive, not demanding.
Hm, I was under the impression that, while Nokia is the bill payer, the council (representing the community) is the actual customer and has final say on what gets done etc.

(I'm also under the impression that Nemein, maemo staff, community, council etc are all on the same side and Nokia corporate was the only entity needing convincing)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
I think we should push the vote out by a week or two, until Dave gets back, just so we can deal with issues like the 5 candidate loophole and a debate cutoff of 4 days.
You should be able to write a referendum for the 5 candidate issue in a matter of minutes. It is a rather straight forward issue. The debate is not for 4 days; it is for one month.

The vote does not happen until more than one month from now. And it can't be pushed because it has to occur within 6 months of the last election. I think it would not violate the rules to push out or shorten the time period for council nominations.

Despite a little "mess" here on the beginning, I'm starting to save money for [whatever].org donation for operating. And I suggest everyone interested in keeping Maemo (under whatever name) alive, to do the same - as I see it's only real option for independent, legal organization.

Back on topic, If i understand correctly, discussion will last for a month, but referendum question will be "frozen" after 4 days? So, discussing about it seems quite non-constructive, isn't it?

Let's have at least 2 weeks for concluding on correct questions for referendum, then, another 2 weeks for discussions it before voting - if vote date is frozen already.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I want a third choice on the referendum:
"[ ] I don't think it is time to make this decision"

And I don't think we should have a vote on the 5 candidate rule, we should just change it so there's always a vote, you can't just become a council member because you nominated yourself.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

And I don't think we should have a vote on the 5 candidate rule, we should just change it so there's always a vote, you can't just become a council member because you nominated yourself.
Waiting for the second half of 2012, is too late for maemo.org. The decision on the future must be made well before that. Second half of 2012, is the time when most of the plan should be put in action.

I think maemo.org can not afford it to wait that much, since it is obvious meego will not wait for it.

Besides, it looks rather depressive when council member of maemo.org pronounces it dead, and proposes delaying the action.

It reminded me of February/2011.

Yeah, I know this too provocative, but still that is the general feeling.

I do agree that there should be no haste decisions, and without actual data on user/developer base.

How about census to determine the characteristics of maemo community?

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-08-18 at 20:50.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
Waiting for the second half of 2012, is to late for maemo.org. The decision on the future must be made well before that. Second half of 2012, is the time when most of the plan should be put in action.
I disagree and want to see the option qole proposed to be included in the vote (if there's going to be one).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
I disagree and want to see the option qole proposed to be included in the vote (if there's going to be one).
That gives me an idea, thanks to comments you and qole have made:

Why not have a referendum of referendums? The council can agree on the core theme, and then let every community member propose their solutions. Each proposal would be included as a referendum item; those that tackle the same issue would be mutually exclusive in the vote.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
A good idea. However, I've not got the time to discuss this in two places, and maemo-community is the canonical place for such discussions (which is more easily archived, threaded, searched and followed offline). So, I'm going to hold my tongue here and reply to the "binding" issue again on the mailing list. Thread here.

Any change to the election process requires a referendum. Them's the rules.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:

Tags
council, elections