Notices

Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Note that you can also do this with the Desktop menu / Add Widget menu. It may be a little quicker.
mmm... except that I do not seem to have a "Sticky Notes" item on my Add Widget menu. What am I misunderstanding?
The regular "Notes" application opens a note in 2-3 secs, thats why I felt that the 10 secs here felt pretty long, its pretty crucial for the user experience.

The next version will have the "Your notes here" removed by default when you first click on the note.
Elegant. I'd be so happy if you can avoid the visit to the app switcher also.

Point taken. What would you think about another which would be as small as a shortcut whose purpose would solely to create new notes?
Perfect -I'd love an icon (shortcut) that would just create a sticky note, cursor in it ready for typing.

If you use the + button on an existing widget, the new one will "inherit" the colour from that one.
Yup, but most of the time I would not have one to start with...

The next version will have a settings dialog in which you can set these stuff rather easily for any new widget.
Great! BTW, do you see any way to make a setting so a note would re-appear after a boot ?

My thought is a pop-up message asking if you really want to delete the note.
Will this suffice?
Yes! Exactly what I was hoping for!

Thanks and keep up the good work!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Harry For This Useful Post:
Well done. Made this phone more useful instantly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Clubberlang For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Hm, I haven't thought about making the notes point to certain files, but this is a nice idea.
Should every note point to a file or just the ones you want?
Also, should they delete the file when you close the widget?
Well it might be helpful to have every note point to a file, but I don't think that it's really useful. I think the more useful use case will be to create a note who's content is a file.

Now that I looked at the content of a tomboy note file this wont be useful for tomboy since they contain a lot more info. Maybe have it possible to specify backends for the notes. Default, File, Conboy, Builtin Notes, etc... Each backend will basically have a function to load a note, save a note, and list possible notes.

This is starting to sound like overkill though...

The Following User Says Thank You to dbrodie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
mmm... except that I do not seem to have a "Sticky Notes" item on my Add Widget menu. What am I misunderstanding?
Uh-oh!
Then something is messed up on your device!
There should be a "Sticky Notes" item right where you can add any other widget.

Elegant. I'd be so happy if you can avoid the visit to the app switcher also.
Well, if you add it from the "Add widget" section, it doesn't happen.

Great! BTW, do you see any way to make a setting so a note would re-appear after a boot?
Nah, now I can see something wrong is definitely going on.
Sticky Notes should definitely be started upon startup.

Note that only the notes which you haven't deleted should re-appear.

Obviously, for me it does - but the fact that for you it doesn't (and also the absence of the item in the Add widget menu) indicates that something may be wrong.

Could the others please report about these?
  • Do you have Sticky Notes in the Add widget menu? (possibly at the bottom)
  • Does the notes reappear for you on device reboot? (they should appear some seconds later than other widgets)
    Note that the deleted notes will never return.

If the answer to either of these are "no", please check the below:
  • In /usr/share/applications/hildon-home, there should be a file called "sticky-notes-widget.desktop". Does it exist?
    This file should instruct hildon-home to put my app into the Add Widget menu.
  • In /etc/event.d, there should be an extensionless file called "sticky-notes". Does it exist?
    This file contains the necessary instructions to start Sticky Notes when the system starts.

When installed, the package should install these files, so a re-install may fix this.
If it does not, then something more is going on.

I would be very happy if you could help me debug this!

EDIT:

I just uninstalled Sticky Notes and deleted its files - and the file that should go into /etc/event.d/ does not get installed for some strange reason. (Although it is present in the .deb file.)

EDIT 2:

Okay, with some trickery-hackery with Debian packaging, I was able to solve this issue.
In the next release, it will be definitely fixed!

And big thank you to Dirty Harry for finding the bug!

Last edited by Venemo; 2010-06-29 at 18:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Great app! Thank you!
A marginal problem: I have all files correctly installed but I don't have a "Sticky Notes" item on my Add Widget menu. What am I missing? Maybe your app needs qt4-homescreen-loader? Keep-up the good work!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
So glad my random observations can be of help. Seems everything is on track for a phenomenal next release!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Harry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
It is a lot I don't code and really never did with QTs

Well, I would be grateful if you can tell me how to do this, or either point me to someone who can.
As it stands, the desktop widgets (neither of them) simply doesn't get any drag events from the desktop.
does ShowFullScreen() work with a desktop widget? That way, we could easily overcome desktop limitations with a simple click.

Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, and such are already possible. Also possible to select text with Shift + arrow keys.
(The only feature missing is selecting them by dragging - which is not possible because of the reasons above. If you know a workaround or someone who knows a workarund, it is welcome.)
The full screen option could be a workaround for selection by dragging, that's what I meant.

About your toolbar idea - it is not bad (was already recommended), but I don't have an idea about how to fit it onto the finger-friendly UI.
Again, with fullscreen will be simple to have a separate toolbar, different from the one present while in 'widget mode'.
This night I'll have a look at QT docs before sleeping.
TY again for the nice app!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jurop88 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 111 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Yes, and thank you for that! It is a nice idea indeed.
I think I'll implement it in an upcoming release (not the next one, though), or create a simple "Sticky Todos" widget for this.
I personally find it better if both are in an apt. Then I have on my desktop did not even create a widget, but use one with the option I want.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dr.MZ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by torshind View Post
Great app! Thank you!
A marginal problem: I have all files correctly installed but I don't have a "Sticky Notes" item on my Add Widget menu. What am I missing? Maybe your app needs qt4-homescreen-loader? Keep-up the good work!!!
You're not missing anything. This is related to what I wrote into the post above yours.

One of the files required for the app to function correctly was somehow missing from the installation, and it just escaped from me: since I placed that file manually there in an early stage of development, I didn't notice that it doesn't get installed, only when I deleted all the stuff and looked closer again.

(The qt widget loader is not required at all. I use a custom approach that lets me create multiple instances of the same widget.)

Basically, this is the trick:

(Long explanation for other developers)

The sticky-notes process should run continuously in the background. (Launched at system start.)

Then, when you either use the "add widget" stuff or the app menu icon, a new process starts that tells the already running process to display a new widget, and then shuts itself down. (Achieved by QtSingleApplication.) This ensures the consistent behaviour of the app.

The Add widget menu requires an additional .desktop file to be installed. When hildon-home detects a new file in its directory, it automatically runs the executable associated with it - this is the reason why every widget appears on installation.

In our case, hildon-home starts a process which *should* call the already running one and return. But since the background process is not running (because of the installation issue), the process created by hildon-home becomes the *only* sticky-notes process running in the background. Because it doesn't return, sticky notes is removed from the add widgets menu (since hildon-home works that way).

Mistery solved - all I need now is some time to implement the features and then make a release.
Possibly a smaller release will come in the weekend and a better one in the next week.

Last edited by Venemo; 2010-06-30 at 21:10.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Hey guys!

Just bumping the thread.
Unfortunately, because of some RL issues, I wasn't able to keep my promise, but don't worry...

Stay tuned, because a new, cool version of Sticky Notes is about to be released soon™!
In the meantime, if you've found any bugs in the current one, don't hesitate to report them here.

Last edited by Venemo; 2010-07-20 at 17:52.

Tags
application, maemo 5, notes, sticky notes, widget