The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
there is no backup plan!
letme live with own fantasy world along with my n9 for abit longer

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
RIM owns QNX, just like N9 owned Meego. None are good software firms
Your analogy is way off my man.

Erm... Intel and Nokia worked together to make MeeGo, now defunct.

RIM works with nobody to make QNX (now).

My analogy is on target. RIM and NOKIA cant do software like ios, windows and android. Compared to the trio, RIM And NOKIA are 1950s cadillacs

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
My analogy is on target. RIM and NOKIA cant do software like ios, windows and android. Compared to the trio, RIM And NOKIA are 1950s cadillacs
oh yeah, nokia cant do software, that must be the reason why symbian is outselling wp so long after it has been killed and why 808 will certanly sell better than any wp dumbphone out there

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Troll much?

Seriously dude... you're saying that WP7, which was billed as a rewrite, that's actually sitting on top of WinCE and still cannot multi-task like QNX based Playbook OS (by RIM) is a superior product to Maemo/Hildon and MeeGo/Harmattan?

Seriously dude? I can't take that serious even on my worst day.

Based on what criteria? Real world criteria man... not "just because"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
Tend to agree.
The key is that, for the average end user, what's under the hood is irrelevent.
Certainly native code provides benefits for those who do more than make/take calls, send emails, tweets and play games, but given the recent stats, even telephony is the least used aspect of modern smartphones.

MS's drive (through Nokia and others) into the mobile market is all about the aspect of the "ecosystem" that is most important to the manufacturers/OS providers and most ignored by end users: revenue through advertising.

Nokia have had an app market and a range of integrated systems through mapping etc, but their capacity to generate revenue through advertising has been limited by the nature of their OS and market design. Nokia mobile OS development has traditionally been focussed on the end user experience.
The likes of WP and android are purely focussed on integration of advertising revenue throughout all aspects of the User experience, be it through apps, web search or data mining by using linked services.

The challenge for Nokia with any "Plan B" will be how they develop a market based on the same business model that they are competing against.
I find to my surprice I am using my Lumia 800 more and more. For web the L800 is much better than the N9, so much that it weigh up for all lacks of features. The tight integration and the fluent UI make a really good experience. In that respect WP7 is a better plan B than MeeGo.

But, my point is that what make phones sell isn't necessarily connected to how much it is used. Maps may not be used that much, but it is a great selling point. People want it even though the may only use it a handful number of times.

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
There is one thing that WP8 will bring to phones in droves, particularly as much has been made of the fact that it and Windows 8 are built from the same base. Security holes.

How will the general population react if they find the same stream of security patches they've grown used to on PCs suddenly being required for their phones?

I know I'd react poorly.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Troll much?

Seriously dude... you're saying that WP7, which was billed as a rewrite, that's actually sitting on top of WinCE and still cannot multi-task like QNX based Playbook OS (by RIM) is a superior product to Maemo/Hildon and MeeGo/Harmattan?

Seriously dude? I can't take that serious even on my worst day.

Based on what criteria? Real world criteria man... not "just because"
He got a point. If Nokia had managed to make Symbian and Ovi a nice experience, Nokia wouldn't be in trouble. The N97 and edof didn't help, but the main problem was software. Same with RIM. Even today they simply cannot make international versions that doesn't make you laugh, it's worse than Chinese translated cheap junk.

Rim is pure junk IMO, nothing of value.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
He got a point....

Rim is pure junk IMO, nothing of value.
So sayeth the man that sang BadaOS praises. Can't take it serious yet.