Notices

If anyone is interested I can make the stable versions as well. It takes about 30 minutes to compile on my quad core system.
I would be interested in a quick howto to be able to compile it myself if you don't mind.
I never took the time to dig into the makefiles and dependencies required to compile this beast, so if you could provide the relevant information in a quick howto, that would be much appreciated

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pierrem For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by pierrem View Post
I would be interested in a quick howto to be able to compile it myself if you don't mind.
I never took the time to dig into the makefiles and dependencies required to compile this beast, so if you could provide the relevant information in a quick howto, that would be much appreciated
I'd be interested too.

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Texas, USA
Originally Posted by marbleuser View Post
Well, i'd give up any percieved qt performance for a gtk version with gstreamer baked in. Do you have any plans for such a build?
I test built with gstreamer enabled, but this did not provide the <video> h264 support like you thought. Upon reading up on Firefox and gstreamer, it seems support is not finalized and still in progress: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=422540

As for how to build:

1. Install Maemo SDK. (also apt-get install python2.5)
2. Follow these instructions: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Build/Fennec
3. Use "ac_add_options --enable-application=mobile/xul" instead of "ac_add_options --enable-application=mobile" in your mozconfig.
4. After you run "make package", change directories to "objdir/mobile/xul/installer" and run "make deb".

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mooninite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ london
i was wondering if it was possible to create a fennec build for maemo but with the android tablet ui???

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post

As for how to build:

1. Install Maemo SDK. (also apt-get install python2.5)
2. Follow these instructions: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Build/Fennec
3. Use "ac_add_options --enable-application=mobile/xul" instead of "ac_add_options --enable-application=mobile" in your mozconfig.
4. After you run "make package", change directories to "objdir/mobile/xul/installer" and run "make deb".
Thanks!
N00b Q: does procedure include optifying to prevent use of sys volume?

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by mohi2k7 View Post
i was wondering if it was possible to create a fennec build for maemo but with the android tablet ui???
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
By the way, there are 3 prebuilt themes for mobile Firefox, which isn't apparent at all. One can switch them on in about:config, but that key is missing in Meego build by default, so you'll have to add it:

general.skins.selectedSkin

It can be set to:

"classic/1.0"
"gingerbread/1.0"
"honeycomb/1.0"

The last theme works only for tablets for now. Classic is what you see by default. Thanks for mbrubeck for the hint.

Source:
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?p=32600

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post
I never saw a performance difference between GTK and Qt builds so I think any opinion on the matter is purely subjective.

In regards to a binary build, I tried one and it failed to link properly. I won't be spending time on correcting it, but you're more than able to try yourself.
Just for testing I downloaded the latest (may 2011) mozilla nighties for qt (4.0.1-mozilla-2.1, 5.0a1-aurora, and 6.0a1-central and 6.0a1-tracemonkey) , and the speed difference in the interface is huge. qt feels fast and responsive, while 12.0 xul/gtk is slow as molasses (tested with talk.maemo.org).
Regarding javascript, 6.0-tracemonkey is slightly faster than the rest, and about 12% faster than opera.

EDIT: Finished javascript benchmark with 12.0a1. It is 25% slower than 6.0a1-tracemonkey. So it is affected by the JIT change in 9.0
NOTE: In 9.0 the JIT was finally changed, but also was disabled in non SSE2 cpu's (at least in X86). In late 12.0 builds it has been reenabled again, but all FPU operations are done in slow C++ code in non SSE2 cpu's, resulting in a 25% slowdown.
So, I think the best release for N900 may be 8.0.1-qt with tracemonkey if possible.

Last edited by maacruz; 2012-01-17 at 20:10.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
@maacruz Post deb?

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by antezz View Post
@maacruz Post deb?
Last mozilla tracemonkey-maemo5-qt build:
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mobile/nig...0~a1_armel.deb

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Texas, USA
I have built Fennec 8.0.1 and indeed find that sunspider is faster over version 12. I have uploaded the deb and updated the first post to the link to it. Fennec 8.0.1 will probably be the last built worth building if the JIT is going to stay slow in non-android-native builds.

Last edited by mooninite; 2012-01-18 at 05:44.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mooninite For This Useful Post: