Active Topics

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Karachi, Pakistan
Hey everyone,
I'm new here and wanted to purchase the N900, however I thought I'd ask the members of the community a few question before I do so:

1. Does the internet browser have Flash? Is it the full web or just a hindered, crippled mobile one?

2. About apps, is there a ZIP/RAR unpacker? An RSS reader I can keep on the homescreen? A BitTorrent client (i.e. not a remote control software, an actual client)? An office suite?

3. Has the famed PR1.2 firmware been released yet? Does it have portrait mode functionality? I'd really like that.

4. Does the FM transmitter function as an audio device? Can I, for instance, use the FM transmitter with audio in the web browser (YouTube, for instance) or with a video player?

5. Can I use a Bluetooth keyboard (it should have the HID profile)? Or is it possible to hook a keyboard up via USB host?

6. How's the codec support for the video player? Can it play MKVs? XviD? DivX? Is it possible to install additional codecs?

7. I'm migrating from a Nokia E90. Is the hardware keyboard easy to adjust to?

8. Does it have Google Maps? Or will I have to stick with Ovi Maps?

9. How is daily usage? Can it actually function as a reliable phone?

Thanks a million to anyone who can answer these questions with a satisfying answer.

There's flash but no 10.1

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Karachi, Pakistan
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
There's flash but no 10.1
I don't understand. Does that mean there's just no hardware acceleration or does that mean it's just Flash Lite?

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
@Question nine, I'd say no. If you call alot, I don't really think this device would suit you IMO.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by hackm0d View Post
Hey everyone,
I'm new here and wanted to purchase the N900, however I thought I'd ask the members of the community a few question before I do so:
1. It's Flash 9.4, full flash. Just not 10.X, which nothing else has yet except one Android phone and those willing to get the Beta desktop version.

2. ZIP/RAR, RSS, BitTorrent client = Yes
Office suite = kind of, there are a few options, all are kind of slow.

3. Yes. For about 40% of the system apps yes, but don't expect it. It's a landscape based device with a landscape physical keyboard. It's primary focus is landscape, and always will be.

4. Yes, Yes, Yes.

5. Kind of, via BT, it takes some work to get it just right though. As for USB, it's close, but not quite there yet.

6. MKVs = Kind of (with MPlayer) XviD/Divx = yes. You can install an additional codec pack, but this is ARM, not Intel. You won't find codec packs just laying about to install like for Windows.

8. No, but you can use the Google site like a normal laptop/browser. There are other options too: Mappero(free) & Sygic (paid).

9. I use it several times a day as a phone, lots of SMS & IM, and have never missed a single call/SMS/IM. It's rock solid when it comes to use as a standard phone, unless you're running something that breaks your phone (beta stuff or high intensity stuff, like NES emulators, etc).

As for if it's the right phone for you? Look at the forums. There are top-sticky threads that go over some of the problems (some real, some imagined, some fixed with PR1.2, and some fixable with free apps from the community). You're dropping a good amount of cash on a device you'll probably use a few years. Take the time, do the homework.

Last edited by woody14619; 2010-06-09 at 17:52.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
I don't understand. Does that mean there's just no hardware acceleration or does that mean it's just Flash Lite?
It is full flash, version 9.4. No hardware acceleration. IMHO still the best mobile browsing experience around though.

Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
1. It has flash 9, the full desktop versin, but will never see flash 10.
2. It uses the debian package manager, so it's even better than that. There is an rss widget. I don't like it. The bittorrent client is transmission (good), and there is an office suite if you feel like using experimental software or running the full version of openoffice which is slow and will drain your battery like nobody's business.
3. pr1.2 is out, but if you are looking for full portrait mode look elsewhere. It works in the phone app, and in the browser, but there is no way of typing in portrait, making it useless for any sort of interaction. There is a community effort to fix this.
4. Yes.
5. don't know about this one, maybe.
6. plays pretty much anything, but I personally re-encode everything to h.264, or mp3 to avoid performance issues.
7. Never used the e90, but the keyboard is fantastic.
8. No google maps, Ovi maps is there but does not have any sort of navigation. There are paid solutions.
9. It is reliable as long as you don't install any development software, at which point your mileage may vary.

Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
@Question nine, I'd say no. If you call alot, I don't really think this device would suit you IMO.
I would have to disagree with this. I use it as my primary phone and it is perfectly reliable. However, it does not include some features like separate ring tones, calling, groups, profiles etc. BUT... the beauty of this phone is pretty much all of that can be accomplished through free apps produced by the community.

1. Does the internet browser have Flash?
Flash 9 something.

Is it the full web or just a hindered, crippled mobile one?
Browser is based on Firefox, and doesn't ask for mobile pages.

2. About apps, is there a ZIP/RAR unpacker?
Yes.

An RSS reader I can keep on the homescreen?
There is an RSS widget.

A BitTorrent client (i.e. not a remote control software, an actual client)?
Transmission is available.

An office suite?
Not sure, I don't think so.

3. Has the famed PR1.2 firmware been released yet? Does it have portrait mode functionality? I'd really like that.
It has, and it "includes" it as a silly gimmick. Not really usable.

4. Does the FM transmitter function as an audio device? Can I, for instance, use the FM transmitter with audio in the web browser (YouTube, for instance) or with a video player?
Yes.

5. Can I use a Bluetooth keyboard (it should have the HID profile)?
I believe this is working, not sure.

Or is it possible to hook a keyboard up via USB host?
Once USB host mode is working, which may be Real Soon.

6. How's the codec support for the video player? Can it play MKVs? XviD? DivX? Is it possible to install additional codecs?
The built in media player is extremely picky. I haven't been able to get it to play any mp4 files I've thrown at it, even after recompressing them with handbrake. Mplayer is available, though you don't get hardware acceleration.

8. Does it have Google Maps? Or will I have to stick with Ovi Maps?
Ovi Maps thus far.

9. How is daily usage? Can it actually function as a reliable phone?
Works fine for me. If you hammer it with web usage you'll kill it right quick, but the same goes for pretty much any mobile device.

Hope that helps. Check the stickies to see if they answer any other questions.

Originally Posted by ZShakespeare View Post
1. It has flash 9, the full desktop versin, but will never see flash 10.
......Source?