Poll: Which phone makes more sense to buy?
Poll Options
Which phone makes more sense to buy?

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Agree with all your sentiments, but not so sure on this one. Why do you say this?
Are you talking about the ease with which it is to literally write software actually on the N900, compared to the N9?
Yes, assuming that we are talking about the N900 being nicer to write software with (out of the box)... At least it got a keyboard. It still doesn't make sense though.

Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
Well...I like for the N900 that I can take a desktop PyGTK app and with minimal tweaks (backporting the Python) I can make it run on the N900...can the N9 do that? What is the devel environment like on the N9?
There is no essential difference, other than that it's Qt based now of course, and Gtk is not available out of the box.

If you actually want to use desktop applications on your phone though, then the N900 is probably better suited again, because of the stylus making it a little bit less painful to use tiny UI elements.

I don't think that has much to do with being a developer or not either though. It's not like most developers would find the idea appealing just because they are developers, or that most users would not be able to get such applications if a developer makes them available. So it just ends up being a very specific preference.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
^
Yeah maybe out-of-the-box (even then it's debatable).
But once everything is set-up I wouldn't say it's better.
I would never rely on the built-in keyboard anyway.

Just got an N9, it's beautiful! <3

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zillertal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Look, I agree a phone or tiny tablet computer like the n900 it's not the best thing to write software as a developer machine (even though its actually possible on the n900). The point is that it is a machine that is better suited for the people who has a higher awareness about technology and software development. It is a rather straight off the shelf debian based computer, where you can cross compile almost anything from the large linux software library to work nicely with minor modifications. You can use ssh with a real keyboard and you even have x11 at the bottom working for you. You have python, qt, gtk and all the native stuff that is natural to an open source developer. Stuff like objective c in a closed software world (the iCrap and fruit company stuff) or a strange java moccup (dalvik) in a plastic, far away from linux phone (android) is nothing the the developer type of person would bet his horses on. In fact, even symbian is something that is even worse from that point of view. The future doesn't look too good either with nokia going for the microsoft w7. I do feel so sorry for the poor developers at nokia these days. They are quitting nokia one by one and noone is doing more than their required work hours. The passion and spirit is gone thanks to that bonehead Stephen Elop. Its obvious he is clueless when it comes the soul and ideology that drives the Finish developers.

So now we have the n9 and meego that comes as a huge disappointment, at least to me. It's a slick, thin design with some extra horse powers (far from as good as the n8 though when it comes to graphics power) , but as I see it, this is just a thin and rather ordinary phone that fits in your pocket where you can do little more than any of the other "smartphones" out there today (maybe less). well, of course it is a more true to the design linux platform underneath compared to the competitors, but good for what when it comes packaged like that?

Nope, to me its a half-assed attempt to place a jab at the evil iDonkey, and as far as it looks like it doesnt even have any nice widgets and possibility to customize to death like our beloved oddball n900. Face it, the n900 will be a one time classic for the community who truly knows what it goes for. Look, how many "smartphones" have strange things like:
* stereo speakers
* a built in table stand
* a physical keyboard with backlight
* usb otg (hostmode)
* application and kernel modules that easily can be cross compiled to the device
* flash, even if rather outdated
* easily replaceable battery
* x11 support
* 32 gig internal flash (even good by todays standards)
* full ability to customize nearly everything in the device
* being targeted with fully native code from the application straight down to the kernel.
* resistive touchscreen with a pen that slides into the phone so that you can take it out point at things with high presition even if you have your thick winter gloves on and won't have to freeze your damned fingers off when searching for music while standing in a blizzard.

Sorry if I sound a little bit too over excited here, and I do admit I am very passionate about my n900. I just cannot find any good replacements for my n900 when it breaks down one day, that's going to be a problem if the market is going to look as shitty as it does today.

Last edited by Larswad; 2011-10-22 at 21:53.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
like:

* a built in table stand
* a physical keyboard with backlight
* easily replaceable battery
As I see it, these are the only true stand-outs from the things you've listed.
Everything else listed is debatable, or still a possibility, at least to some extent.
Then there's the numerous areas that the N9 is better than the N900...

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-23 at 11:45.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
As I see it, these are the only true stand-outs from the things you've listed.
Everything else listed is debatable, or still a possibility, at least to some extent.
Then there's the numerous areas that the N9 is better than the N900...
Not really, the list could go on with for instance integrated skype (huge difference to separate app), a lot of great customizable widgets (no, the n9 doesn't have widgets because it probably wants to look as dull as the iSnore), the n900 is not locked from doing anything you want with it (in fact it is built with the intention to be modified) in opposite to the n9 where you need to go through a sort of rooting process.
I dont' see how the x11 support, customizability, stylus, stereo speakers (and 32 gb to a lower price) is debatable. its tnings that n9 completely lacks.

Further I would be cautious talking about the hardware in the n9 since it comes with a cpu that is even inferiour to the one release in the galaxy S years ago. comparing the gpu in the n8 also makes the n9 look pretty silly.

On top of all this the N9 is very expensive if you compare it with other smartphones in the same segment and with the same target customers. If you'd want such a phone you'd be better off with a Galaxy S II by far, unless all you want is to have monster glass, true multitasking and a more true to the design linux os.
Phones today is mostly about fanboyism and neat thick, slick design and apps apps apps. If you want something else beside this superficial fluff you're left with very few alternatives.
I had my hopes up for a long time with where Meego would end up, but when i saw and read the n9 specs it was a big yawn and disappointmen

Last edited by Larswad; 2011-10-23 at 16:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
Further I would be cautious talking about the hardware in the n9 since it comes with a cpu that is even inferiour to the one release in the galaxy S years ago. comparing the gpu in the n8 also makes the n9 look pretty silly.
You mean GPU, CPU is the same. SGX 530 is still capable for current games. Unfortunately, it ain't capable of impressing your friend through benchmarks.

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Of course buy N900.

Unless You want gadget toy to "impress" Your 1650435 mates in facebook and twitter - with battery hard build-in to the point You need disassembling whole device to just see it, no SD card slot, no hardware keyboard (i know, mentioned countless of times), hopeless and pathetic Aegis "platform security", and so goes on = miserably limited.

This is one of rare situations, where You may buy better device for *much* lower cost - personally, I recommend acquiring one from after-market (possible to buy one in ideal condition for ~150 $ if You search a little, and for ~200$ without any search, instantly), but of course it depends on personal preference.

Basically for (at least) power-users, N900 is obvious choice. Gadget people may prefer N9, but in this "area of market" they got more "gadgeety" possibilities

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
You mean GPU, CPU is the same. SGX 530 is still capable for current games. Unfortunately, it ain't capable of impressing your friend through benchmarks.
Yes, it is a SoC, thanks for pointing that out (no irony intended), but I am simply comparing performance and value for money and if you look at that you can see that you can find both cpu and gpu better than in the n9.
GPU and CPU are of course different in what they do, even if the are integrated on the same chip.