I understand you. Right now I only have VisualStudio2012 installed :-) but when I reinstall qtSDK I don't mind mixing it on my primary OS. It does not do too much harm.

But back on-topic: I don't know how exactly USB connection works for N9 since I did not really use it! But you should be able to connect/disconnect each USB device to one (virtual)machine at a time, so try that. I cannot help You with USB very much since I don't have SDK installed right now, and that crap (honestly) takes hours to install.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zvjer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Not sure how USB networking works on the N9, but surely there's a way to set the IP address there.
I'm able to change the adress at the N9 and the C7, but not at the BlackBerry device. Over there I'm only able to change the last two numbers, the 169.254.x.x is fixed. But since at maemo are more well educated IT cracks around I thought I could ask for the N9 to understand how to solve the rest myself.
I were anyway surprised that I'm the first with this problem.

Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Your problem is, as you hint below, that the IP address assigned to the USB network (N9 <-> PC-USB) is on a different subnet than your other (WLAN, VM) addresses.

The other solution would be to tweak the routing the table. With Windows that's a pretty complicated task.
Okay. I have my VM already im bridge mode, so as you said it is now only related to the routing. Sadly I know nearly nothing about it.
If I could make 169.254.0.1 and 192.168.2.15 visible to all devices within 192.168.0.* the problem should be solved.

Hm, if nobody knows how this works I'm afraid I need to refresh my Network knowledge with some fundamental stuff from wikipedia.

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

Open SDK connect app on N9, select USB and connect the cable. You'll see your IP address that you don't like.

Now click settings below and disable DHCP server so you can change the IP to the one that you like.

I'm not sure this will help you at all, but you can try.
I think your USB device (N9) is virtually attached to the wrong virtualmachine, or maybe even to the host. You must virtually disconnect N9 from current machine and connect it virtually to the VM that has QTSDK. You do that by clicking the icons AFAIR.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zvjer For This Useful Post:
just do VM -> Removeable devices -> N9 RNDIS xxxxxx -> connect.

Simple.

I have exactly the same setup, running Qt SDK under a VM, don't have any issues even over wifi or USB.

The Following User Says Thank You to rash.m2k For This Useful Post:
Yep, that's what I was trying to explain but don't remember where the buttons are.

Originally Posted by Zvjer View Post
I understand you. Right now I only have VisualStudio2012 installed :-) but when I reinstall qtSDK I don't mind mixing it on my primary OS. It does not do too much harm.
Yes, a single QtSDK doesn't harm. But at least for Symbian I need to install the old one because at the new QtSDK is no Symbian target anymore. But for my MeeGo stuff I would like to use the new one with the newest QtCreater and I would say I need also the newest SDK later this year when Jolla arrives. At BlackBerry I have the Beta3 of the Native Cascades SDK but want to install the old stable native SDK too because I want to try some stuff on my Playbook which doesn't support Cascades. And I wan't to try in the future the newest QNX stuff in QtCreator which is currently in a early state. Mesing on a running machine is always a pain, at least for me.
So I thought I could get rid of all my problems by using VMs. Oh, I were so wrong...

Originally Posted by Zvjer View Post
But back on-topic: I don't know how exactly USB connection works for N9 since I did not really use it! But you should be able to connect/disconnect each USB device to one (virtual)machine at a time, so try that. I cannot help You with USB very much since I don't have SDK installed right now, and that crap (honestly) takes hours to install.
As I wrote at twitter the N9 usb icon doesn't show up at the VM. Not even in the Massstorage mode. I don't know why, the BlackBerry is there but I'm unable to reconnect it to the VM since the host is blocking it instantly. I messed already more than 2 hours with the driver (deactivating, uninstalling ...) before writing this post. Nothing worked, if it is uninstalled windows is blocking it because it is searching for drivers.

So I guess the only finally working and best solution for every dev device I have here would be to make the different subnets visible to all devices in my network. Don't know why, google delivered so far only very confusing stuff... but I guess this is doable.

Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
just do VM -> Removeable devices -> N9 RNDIS xxxxxx -> connect.

Simple.

I have exactly the same setup, running Qt SDK under a VM, don't have any issues even over wifi or USB.
Hm, strange. What could go wrong if the N9 doesn't appear at the Removeable devices?

I have my mouse there, keyboard, a gigaset landline phone, my external storage, the BlackBerry but not the N9.
And as I wrote, I tried to reconnect with the blackberry, without success.

Last edited by helex; 2012-11-02 at 19:46.

Originally Posted by helex View Post
Hm, strange. What could go wrong if the N9 doesn't appear at the Removeable devices?

I have my mouse there, keyboard, a gigaset landline phone, my external storage, the BlackBerry but not the N9.
And as I wrote, I tried to reconnect with the blackberry, without success.
The only reason would be either a faulty usb port or a faulty usb cable.

The phone normally asks you which type of connection you want to use. If not they something is wrong (or you've defaulted it to not ask and use a specific connection type)

Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
The only reason would be either a faulty usb port or a faulty usb cable.

The phone normally asks you which type of connection you want to use. If not they something is wrong (or you've defaulted it to not ask and use a specific connection type)
Hm, no no. The N9 works just fine, it asks me also what connection to use and it is useable just fine on my host system. But inside VMware it doesn't show up, not in the iconbar at the top and not in the list of the connectable USB devices. I tried all combinations at the usb device settings including activatating the USB 1.1 mode instead of USB 2.0.

The BlackBerry device in counterpart shows up as a icon in VMware but I'm unable to connect. It says always "the device is currently in use" - locked by the driver at the host. If I deinstall or deactivate the driver at the host system the corresponding usb icon at VMware disappears or I get a "driver error" if I'm fast enought.

I wonder now why it works just fine with your N9 at your system. Could you please share your setup?
I have over here Windows 7 64bit host, Windows 7 32 bit guest, VMware Player 5.0.0 build-812388.

i'm running openSUSE 12.2 as host, opensuse 12.2 as guest using vmware workstation 9.

try this VM -> Hardware tab -> USB Controller -> Tick show all USB input devices.

Or try this:

with your guest in FULL screen mode and focused purely on the guest (open some windows in the guest or open notpad and type with the keyboard) plug in your N9 in this state and then select your connection type (SDK).

Normally in full screen mode the guest takes control over USB devices rather than the host.