Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I know it's early, but it's fun to dream, isn't it?

Here's the mighty question. What features would realistically you like to see in the N900 -- stage 4 of Nokia's 5 stage plan. Perhaps, Nokia will take some of our brainstorming seriously, and consider implementing some of them as features!

I'll start.

I'd really like to see wireless charging for the N900. Electrical induction has been known since the mid-1800. We have toothbrushes and razors that can charge themselves free of wires, but this technology eludes more sophisticated electronics. I'd like for my N900 to wirelessly charge itself whilst in my jacket pocket in a house, a cafe, or an office, car, or wherever wireless power transmitters can be found. I would like to say goodbye to the socket for good.

Science fiction? Not really, the technology is based on the same basic principles that allow WiFi (and MANY other technologies) to work. In fact, take a gander at the PowerCast Corporation, that is looking to mass produce the technology: powercastco.com. Here's an article at laptopmag.com talking about the technology.

Failing this, I would like a battery that has the receiver built into it, so that I at least have the option of adding it into the N900 at a later date, or upgrading it if power transmissions standards suddenly change.

An always on tablet would be a KILLER feature.

I can see Apple releasing a feature like this in their next PDA (the upcoming newton) and being heralded for another "first".

What is your idea for the perfect tablet?

}:^)~
YARR!!

<captian>Corrupt</captain>

stage 4 is n8** with WiMax.

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
the ability to change cellular providers, and not be locked into Sprint. They have the worst coverage in my area, albeit some of the fastest data connections.

if the next gen device has WiMax, which is not 4G but really 3G, i would like to be able to get my cell service through my current provider and not a lock-in deal with Sprint.

maybe a 2-4 MegaPixel camera with zoom, flash and video capture as well.

a better, more power efficient bluetooth adapter with A2DP support.

both SD cards on the n800 have to included in the next device as well.

a wireless card that supports packet injection.

and of course more memory and CPU
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

If they add inductive charging, I really really hope they keep the wired charger! Inductive charging is much slower and less efficient than just plugging the thing in.

I'd much prefer to have the option of charging through USB (without an adapter) and a higher capacity battery.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
600mhz CPU + KDE I did not have to compile myself, other than that I like th 810 form from the pics... Although I have not held one myself.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Realistically?
  • TI OMAP 3440 core with working OpenGL drivers
  • CPU in the 800MHz range.
  • Color bump on the LCD
  • Similar or better battery life
  • Doubled RAM/Flash
  • Dual SD-card slots
  • Wifi/Bluetooth but no stupid cellular radio of any sort
  • Ambidextrous button layout (twice the buttons, twice the fun!)
  • No slider.

Realistic, but unlikely?
  • Resolution bump on the LCD to ~1024x600
  • Accelerometer-based screen rotation
  • Multitouch
  • h.264 hardware video decoding
  • Video-out of some kind
  • Improved battery life

Not. Gonna. Happen.
  • Internal flash/HD storage exceeding 60GB without any size or battery-life penalty
  • Non-crappy built-in GPS chipset
  • Completely open source OS

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-02-19 at 04:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
  • Unlocked Cellular
  • Beefed up Specs on Processor/RAM
  • Solid Video Capability (even if it is in ONE clearly defined format)
  • Bring the hard cover back
  • Full USB Host Capabality
  • At Least 20gb onboard storage
  • USB Headset or separate mic/headphone jack support (nothing proprietary)

Last edited by maxinflixion; 2007-10-26 at 22:47.

@cairn

I completely agree. Until wireless power is fast and ubiquitous, there should be more traditional methods. Charging through the micro-USB would be great, and likely free up some internal room -- valuable room that could be used for an infrared LED!!

In fact, while you're at it, a simple micro-USB to headphone adapter would also be nice to get rid of the headphone jack -- but ONLY under the condition that it supports HiFi output through the adapter. A major benefit here, is it can be engineered to easily physically disconnect if it is forced/pulled too hard. This is a big deal for me as I've had MANY 3.5" wear over time from heavy use, that are not easily fixed. Having to live with mono out of a stereo port isn't fun and I imagine would be less fun after spending $500+ on a device.

The obvious con to this scenario, is only having one wire connected at a given time. Of course, with two micro-USBs, you get increased functionality while maintaining multiple connections.

So it's settled: inductive charging and 2 micro SDs [*edit* USB's] (charging, mic, etc).

YARR!!

Capt'n Corrupt | tpurroC n'tpaC

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2007-10-26 at 23:51.

You mean 2 micro USB, please no micro SDs

Haha... Yes, ColdFusion, that's what I mean!

YARR!!

CaPt'N cOrRuPt

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist