Notices

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by sowwhatyoureap View Post
Would be cool with a >1W IR transmitter, but I guess a transmitter much more powerful than the one in N900 would probably not even be legal in most countries (?).
Actually, I don't think that would be a problem. RF frequencies are regulated by governments because devices using them can so easily interfere with one another, but consumer IR is just using light waves; so long as you don't turn your device into a portable heat lamp, I doubt anybody would care how bright an IR flashlight gets.

Ah cool, yeah I hope it makes it in. Being able to have IR tx/rx on a mobile/tablet device is such a rare thing, strangely enough.
Eh, it's just that IR is not the current fad any more. Well, actually, it is coming back now -- all the high-end Android phones now have CIR ports. I would imagine that as security becomes more of an issue, shorter-range and more controllable broadcast technologies like IR will be making more of a general comeback again as well...

Thanks for testing! I'll start on my hunt for the TV and composite buttons.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
I see sowwhatyoureap's report surpassed mine in detail, very good.

I see now that the Input button on the Utility panel brings up the input list on the Viera. I can then go up and down the menu using the arrows. But other than that, my report still stands; I'm not sure why e.g. HDMI works for sowwhatyoureap's Viera but not mine. Also, using the arrows in the Menu panel does nothing (if the input menu is not shown yet on the TV).

Thanks for your hard work.

P.S. Maybe HDMI doesn't work for me, because, unlike sowwhatyoureap, I don't have cables plugged into HDMI inputs?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chill View Post
I'm not sure why e.g. HDMI works for sowwhatyoureap's Viera but not mine. Also, using the arrows in the Menu panel does nothing (if the input menu is not shown yet on the TV).
Hmm, I definitely need to find some better keyset config files. (But I'm surprised about the arrow keys; they really should either work or not work...)

P.S. Maybe HDMI doesn't work for me, because, unlike sowwhatyoureap, I don't have cables plugged into HDMI inputs?
I suppose it is possible; I have seen that on high-end Samsung TVs, the TV is capable of recognizing whether an input is "active" or not. If so, this might also account for why sowhatyoureap isn't able to switch to the component inputs...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sweden
Hmm, it's weird that it doesn't work quite as good for chill's device. I actually only have both of the HDMI ports occupied at the moment, and I'm still able to switch to all inputs -- including Component which is currently bugged out in Pierogi -- using the regular remote. Chill, I presume you have tried all three keysets (1/1a/1b)?

The problem switching to HDMI might, as you say, be due to no active signal (or at least no connected cable) but I'm not sure that is the case. If the behaviour remains when using the regular remote, it's obviously intended to be that way, so that might be something to test.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sowwhatyoureap For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Actually, I don't think that would be a problem. RF frequencies are regulated by governments because devices using them can so easily interfere with one another, but consumer IR is just using light waves; so long as you don't turn your device into a portable heat lamp, I doubt anybody would care how bright an IR flashlight gets.
Yeah you're right, I was dumb in my previous post It would essentially just be a non-visible torch, and arrays of IR diodes (maybe even > 1 W total) is of course used in night-vision applications for instance.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sowwhatyoureap For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sowwhatyoureap View Post
Hmm, it's weird that it doesn't work quite as good for chill's device. I actually only have both of the HDMI ports occupied at the moment, and I'm still able to switch to all inputs -- including Component which is currently bugged out in Pierogi -- using the regular remote. Chill, I presume you have tried all three keysets (1/1a/1b)?

The problem switching to HDMI might, as you say, be due to no active signal (or at least no connected cable) but I'm not sure that is the case. If the behaviour remains when using the regular remote, it's obviously intended to be that way, so that might be something to test.
Yes, I tried all three keysets.

You're right about testing with the regular remote...I tried it and the behavior does not remain - the remote can switch to HDMI ok. So it's a Pierogi commands issue.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:
Alright, bit of a breakthrough here -- after browsing through another pile of Panasonic IR config files, I finally found one with the ever-elusive TV input button! I have my fingers crossed that it will work.

However, all of the config files seem to agree on what the values are for the component and HDMI commands. There are no variants. So I have no idea why some of the input controls are working on one model, while others work on another.

In any case, Pierogi version 1.1.40 is now making its way up to the extras-devel repository. I've also taken advantage of this update to add the "Input" button to the Input panel, which upon reflection, only makes sense.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Very good work! Just tried the 1.1.40 build and the new state-of-the-art "Antenna"/TV button, and it seems to working correctly So, at least on my Viera, it now is possible to switch to every input except Component using the drop-down list, which is wonderful. I like the addition of the Input button to the Input tab by the way, because that way you could actually reach the Component input by repeatedly tapping the button.

As the "Antenna" button is now working, I can even switch between analogue and digital tuner by tapping it, so even one more problem solved. I don't know if that behaviour -- TV button switches between tuners -- is shared across all Vieras, but hopefully a few of them.

The Following User Says Thank You to sowwhatyoureap For This Useful Post:
Two thumbs up for the Input button!

HDMI1-3 now switches correctly, but not HDMI4 (my Viera has it). The discrete HDMI button switches to HDMI1.

Antenna works, both discrete and from the menu.

Component does not do anything, either discrete or from the menu.

Great progress, Copernicus!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:
Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
hi copernicus
you might remember that i did request NEC projector keyset but none did work on this https://www.dropbox.com/s/zlpg8odi8d...-2077.jpg?dl=0

Tags
infrared, pasta, remote, remote control