Active Topics

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kkarioja View Post
How about a possibility to make rule to repeat e.g. every hour or so? With this background trick I talked about earlier (still seems to work btw) I have to make something like 10 rules for one purpose.
What trick do you mean? I checked a couple of your recent posts and they were about turning background connections on/off. I don't understand why that would require repeating action, so I probably am not looking at the right thing.

Fastly thinking, the kind of repeating rules, that I think you're writing about, do not really fit well into the current model both from code nor usability view. But most of all I'd like to understand what's being tried to do here, because there might be other ways to achieve it.

Hi!

First of all, thanks a lot for your awesome work!! I have a request: would it be possible to add another button to the homescreen and to assign a specific profile to it? Therefore it would be possible to quickly switch to certain profile directly from the homescreen (for example a sleeping profile during the night). Right now I've assigned certain rules to activate the sleeping profile. But as the rules don't always apply I have to open profilematic and start the profile manually very often... So an additional homescreen button would be extremely convenient!

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
What trick do you mean? I checked a couple of your recent posts and they were about turning background connections on/off. I don't understand why that would require repeating action, so I probably am not looking at the right thing.
I mean post #810. After a check I noticed it's not that recent I thought. Not too good communication by me, sorry.

But what I've been doing is to enable background connections for a while to do email check and feed update every hour (or every 2 hours or every 90 minutes). At least I didn't figure out how else to do it but create a rule for every time of day I want to do this.

This isn't actually a very big issue after all, so if it is hard to code it may be clever to ignore this suggestion.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kkarioja For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by meegofan View Post
Hi!

First of all, thanks a lot for your awesome work!! I have a request: would it be possible to add another button to the homescreen and to assign a specific profile to it? Therefore it would be possible to quickly switch to certain profile directly from the homescreen (for example a sleeping profile during the night). Right now I've assigned certain rules to activate the sleeping profile. But as the rules don't always apply I have to open profilematic and start the profile manually very often... So an additional homescreen button would be extremely convenient!

Thanks in advance for your reply!
So if I understand correctly, having an icon in homescreen that would activate some profile? That's doable... you can actually do it already if you manually create the icon file. But of course it would be nicer if you could just do it from ProfileMatic's UI. I'll write that down for future feature.

Although I'm quite a bit curious why the rules won't apply for you very often... Are your rules time based? If so, I have a test version that might fix that and it'd be useful if you tried it.

Thanks for the feedback!

But what I've been doing is to enable background connections for a while to do email check and feed update every hour (or every 2 hours or every 90 minutes). At least I didn't figure out how else to do it but create a rule for every time of day I want to do this.
Ah I see... It'd probably be possible to create such a "periodic" condition. I'm not sure how hard or easy it would be, but I'll write it down.

Hi ajalkane,

thanks for your quick reply! The thing is, I don't go to bed at the same time every day. Nor do I charge my device every night. So it's hard to come up with a set of specific rules that always apply. Therefore it would be nice to be able to switch to the night profile directly from the homescreen just before going to bed (like this Bluetooth toggle app). I think this doesn't require much coding, since the functionality is already there... Of course I would agree to be a tester of such a Profilematic feature :-)

Just read that you said that it's already possible to do this by creating an icon and assigning a script to it! Maybe you could roughly explain the steps I have to take to achieve my goal? Thanks very much!

PS: Hum, maybe it's not that easy, because hitting the icon should change the appearance of the icon... And it should also be possible to deactivate the rule by hitting the icon a second time...

Originally Posted by meegofan View Post
PS: Hum, maybe it's not that easy, because hitting the icon should change the appearance of the icon... And it should also be possible to deactivate the rule by hitting the icon a second time...
Ah like that... I thought you wanted the equivalent of long pressing a rule in ProfileMatic and choosing "Run rule's actions". But what you're requesting is a tad more complex, and at the moment doesn't really work well with how ProfileMatic works. So it'd require quite a bit work.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Hi ajalkane,

Just curious as-to-whether you've had any more luck/progress in this area, no "biggy" if you haven't

Thank-you.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-10-27 at 18:26.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Hi ajalkane,

Just curious as-to-whether you've had any more luck/progress in this area, no "biggy" if you haven't

Thank-you.
See this post http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=828

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Bummer... Oh well fair enough, thanks for having a crack anyway...
Maybe one day I might see if I can do anything, when I can manage my time better, dont like my chances.