Notices

Ah, ok. A tip, if you have to use Windows editors, is to use notepad. It can deal with (open, edit, and save) files containing UNIX line-ends, although creating a new file always uses DOS line-ends.

On the tablet, you ought to get a real text editor; for me, that means JOE, but nano is said to be a viable option. Or stick with vi, if you like it, but other options are available.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Aug 2008 @ South Carolina
Benson,

I have two issues:

1. I cant close FVWM. I can drop to root and killall fvwm2, but Matchbox wont start up with the matchboxwm start.

2. How did you scroll the whole screen. I messed with desktopsize, but I cant get the screen to get scrollbars. I can get apps to have scroll bars, but if I move them off the screen, I cant scroll to the other screen.

3. Also.....the video you showed me, definately was scrolling the RDesktop.....but when I fire up PyRdesktop, it maximizes the screen at 800x480, and I cant do anything about it. Were you using PyRdesktop or something else...? How did you set the resolution of the remote desktop to 1280x1024...and then scroll within a window...?

Steve

OK, I don't know of a way to scrollbar the whole screen, but you can bind Ctrl+dpad or something to scroll around in it. You can also use the pager down in the left corner, above the button-bar. (You may have to push windows down (click button 3 on decorations) to see the pager.)

I used the rdesktop-cli that comes with pyrdesktop, using -g 1280x1024. Then used FVWM to scrollbar that window. Since you only need the large resolution on one screen, it's easy enough to just make a shell script to run it, although that functionality might be nice in pyrdesktop at some point. (Particularly, it would be more widely helpful for specifying smaller sizes, so part of the screen doesn't get chopped in windowed mode... Not that your use doesn't count.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Benson,

I went into the Rdesktop.py and changed:

to_run = "-f" to
to_run = "-g 1280x1024 "

And now it comes up setup at the right resolution, but I can use the PyRdesktop front gui end to save the displays.

BUT....I had to start over....something I did stopped my Tablet from getting out to the web....not for sure what....so after a lot of frustration, I started over. So will get the windowing done tomorrow....but I am almost there....thanks to you...

Steve

I found this to kill matchbox

#!/bin/bash
source /etc/osso-af-init/osso-gtk.defs
source /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.defs
echo Theme is $MBTHEME

source /etc/osso-af-init/maemo-af-desktop.sh stop
sleep 2
source /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.sh stop
sleep 1

I've added it to the tar download.
It obviates the need to use the modified matchbox.sh and restart-once launcher, and is much cleaner.

I myself am going to try out openbox, which now appears to be in one of the repo's, which is nice. I'll see how it is.

The Following User Says Thank You to iiiedokeiii For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
I am going to try openbox too but that script does not work, or i cant use it.

/home/user # sh stop*
Theme is glasser-12pt
stop-matchbox.sh: source: line 6: can't open /etc/osso-af-init/maemo-af-desktop.sh
/home/user #

and there is no file called maemo-af-desktop.sh in /etc/osso-af-init/

You can remove

source /etc/osso-af-init/maemo-af-desktop.sh stop
sleep 2

from the script.

1) We don't want to stop the desktop
2) The desktop stop script is now called hilden-desktop.sh

I think also the shebang should point to /bin/sh instead of bash, but I'm not positive.

Try that and it should work?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
openbox is very nice and fast, it is the window manager under LXDE, my current favorite "tablettop environment"

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I like Fluxbox, among others.

iiiedokeiii or Benson,

HELP...!! :-)

I did setup and boot to SD and got all that working.....but when I tried to replicate this setup with fvwm, I just cant get it working.

If I drop down in xterm and gainroot, and type in the scripts manually, I get this error....even with iiiedokeiii new script above...

Error, AF_PIDDIR is not defined. I have tried every imaginable combination of all the scripts, but I cant get past this error. This comes every time as it executes /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.sh stop.

Any thoughts or ideas...?

Thanks so much,

Steve