Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I find that rather unlikely. It is much more likely that all 1079 units were produced for but never paid by Jolla.
I just don't see this... The "first wave" was apparently less than 200 units, and I would presume those were all paid for by Jolla (otherwise, the factory would have gone ahead and provided the next 79 units as well). But if Jolla couldn't pay for more than 200 to start with, why in the world would the factory go ahead and make another 1000 of them? Especially of the 32GB version, when the majority of IGG backers were selecting the 64GB version?

The way I see it, Jolla was on death's door, they hadn't made any payments in months, the factory was all set up to produce these particular tablets, and they probably already had some (unpaid-for) components on hand. So they went ahead and produced a batch for themselves, to recoup some of the effort they'd put into the device. The fact that they could produce an even 1000, I think, means that they had paid for at least some of the components themselves (as I doubt Jolla had the financial wherewithal to pay for that amount of components at any time in the last few months).

I guess the factory holds all the moulds and tooling to make the tablets, so it probably wasn't wise for Jolla to rodger them.
Going to a new factory will be like starting again, and you wouldn't blame the old one if they wanted nothing to do with jolla.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I just don't see this... The "first wave" was apparently less than 200 units, and I would presume those were all paid for by Jolla (otherwise, the factory would have gone ahead and provided the next 79 units as well). But if Jolla couldn't pay for more than 200 to start with, why in the world would the factory go ahead and make another 1000 of them?
I think those 200 units were from the same final "test" batch as the developer units and PR units for media.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
I feel next year Jolla will settle the tablet/gate by offering those tablets that are held by the manufacturer to those who still want one and refund monies to those who can't get a tablet or who are requesting a refund. This way Jolla can get out of the tablet business and control its cash outlay (refunds). They are not going back into the tablet business and they will not "take the money and run", both options are too costly.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by att View Post
I think those 200 units were from the same final "test" batch as the developer units and PR units for media.
Thay are not, as they have hardware differences.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
The profit margin for Jolla, who has already spent millions developing the hardware and software, is obviously going to be lower at any price point than for the factory, who did not...
True. Regarding hardware margins. You have to consider that Jolla collected millions from us, delivered around 200 tablets...so currently they got around $10000 dollar per device. Not even Apple or factory can compete with this ripoff business model.

And for the sw side. Yeah it cost millions but they also got/had millions for sw from investors.

Jollas words: http://bit.ly/1JgqOQU

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-12-19 at 08:24.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Yes, Dave. Not to mention that the time/effort/money spent on the SW was not for the tablet only. It was already reused in the phone too so any use of it in the tablet is just a free bonus.

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yes, Dave. Not to mention that the time/effort/money spent on the SW was not for the tablet only
Looking back on the whole thing, it would have been nice if Jolla had asked in early 2015:

Do you want the Tablet deliverd as fast as possible when the HW is ready, with suboptimal OS yet to be refined, or wait until it completely meets "Jolla standards".

Spilt into two groups and we would have one complaint less now.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Looking back on the whole thing, it would have been nice if Jolla had asked in early 2015:

Do you want the Tablet deliverd as fast as possible when the HW is ready, with suboptimal OS yet to be refined, or wait until it completely meets "Jolla standards".

Spilt into two groups and we would have one complaint less now.
Since the software was ready long before the hardware, this would not have worked.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Since the software was ready long before the hardware, this would not have worked.
if software was ready long ago...why isn't the stretch goal split screen ready? I consider that the finnishline for the sw after that Jolla can do as they please.

A full refund gives also Jolla the option to completely ignore the stretch goal.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund