Notices

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
Earlier today I uploaded the first version of my app "rejs-dk" to extras-devel. It's a (so far) simple application for getting public transport time tables from stations and busstops near you, using the GPS to find out where you are. The data comes from Rejseplanen (a local, Danish travel planner).

If you've enabled the extras-devel repository, you should be able to find it through App Manager or via apt-get install rejs-dk.

I'd love to get some feedback and ideas for future improvements from other users. Only upcoming feature is the ability to "favorite" stops, making it faster to find time tables for stops you use a lot.

Sometimes the GPS responds veeery slowly. If the initial screen is showed way too long, close the app and try again

Read a little more in Danish at: http://www.detfalskested.dk/2010/07/...il-nokia-n900/

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to decibyte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
I'm guessing a lot of people are gonna love this app... Great work...

TAK...

Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
Downloading as i type will give feedback when played with or used for traveling

Really nice to see Danes in the game of app making/dev

Også tak herfra

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Nice going!

I agree with Dousan, it's very nice to see some dev from Denmark.

I've installed the app, but it doesn't seem to startup though, even after a reboot. I don't know the cause of this, but if you can guide me to some kind of log that could locate the issue, I'll be happy to post it.

I have one suggestion already though: How about an option to refrain from using GPS and incorperate find-as-you-type? That would be sweet.

Ps. Nice Triple

Hi MOC

I was kind of expecting this. I'm sure I've missed to list some dependencies for the package. But you can help me out:

Start a terminal, type "/opt/rejs-dk/gui.py" and hit enter. Then tell me what the error messages say (just paste everything in here).

Find-as-you-type is a great idea. I'll make myself a ticket about that.

PS, everybody: It seems like the icon in the app menu is missing. I'll try to fix that too.

It comes out like this:

~ $ /opt/rejs-dk/gui.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/rejs-dk/gui.py", line 13, in <module>
import rejseplanen
File "/opt/rejs-dk/rejseplanen.py", line 4, in <module>
import location, time, pickle, math, webbrowser, sqlite3, urllib
ImportError: No module named location

Yeah, I'm missing the icon too.

A question about Rejseplanen API's: Does it allow you to receive a travel-plan after sending a query or anything like that?

The Following User Says Thank You to MOC For This Useful Post:
Errors:

Thanks. I'll look into it. And release an updated version soon (maybe later tonight).

API:

Rejseplanen doesn't really have an API. All you get is a downloadable list of all stops in Denmark with their names, Rejseplanen IDs and position. I parsed the data file, changed the crazy position format into lat,long and saved it into a database, which i access via a web service I made (in lack of an official web service from Rejseplanen).

The time tables my app gives you is just the web page at Rejseplanen launched in the browser. There are also pages for planning, which I also want to make accessible via the app (travel to/from a stop) in the next minor version, along with favorites (and maybe find-as-you-type).

It seems like they don't really want to provide an API, as they are scared of the fact that they can't control the quality of the stuff people create from it. Instead everybody doing something with their data has to download an updated version of their data file every month. It's a silly way to do it, I think. And they still don't have any control of the quality of these unofficial products.

It's quite sad with access to their data. A lot of great apps could be made, if one could send a query and get a return in a standardized format!

Cool with the error, I'm looking forward to trying it out

It's updated now to version 0.1.0-5.

MOC, please update via App Manager or by
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

Does it work then? It should start with a screen saying "Finder din position og nærmeste stop..."

It works now, nice job!

I came to think of two things in the meantime:

1. Rejseplanen.dk has a mobile site too. The departure boards-page is even more lightweight there.

2. They have a java-app too. Am no programmer, at all, but wouldn't it be possible to reverse-engineer the querys of that program?

I'll say it again, nice work!