Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
if you consider the networks have no problem with laptops running 3g data modems why would it be a problem to run it all in one small box?

afterall, we were told right at the start this device is a computer first and a phone second.

I got myself a usb broadband adapter yesterday which included a pay and go data sim.
I have inserted it into my device and o2 seem perfectly happy to give me service.

hth, ymmv etc

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
if you consider the networks have no problem with laptops running 3g data modems why would it be a problem to run it all in one small box?
those often require more expensive tethering plans (at least in crazy places like usa), vs the more limited data plans for phones...

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by tso View Post
those often require more expensive tethering plans (at least in crazy places like usa), vs the more limited data plans for phones...
pay and go was £15 for 3gb. good enough to start and test the waters with.
i hope to find a better plan, but i have no job, so cannot get a contract.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou

afterall, we were told right at the start this device is a computer first and a phone second.

I got myself a usb broadband adapter yesterday which included a pay and go data sim.
I have inserted it into my device and o2 seem perfectly happy to give me service.

hth, ymmv etc
Is your laptop always on in your pocket?

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston

hth, ymmv etc
By device do you mean the n900?

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by mistermix View Post
One possibility is that T-Mobile will introduce the N900 without much subsidy. They've done that with the HTC Touch Pro 2, which has a suggested retail of $550 but sells for $350 with a two-year commitment at T-Mob. That means a $450 N900. Only the fans will buy it at that price.
550 euros maybe. Expansys is selling the HTC for $699 and thats a good deal, in the UK its £524.99 now and was £600+ on release. The N900 is £499.99 and $649 pre-release and will go down quickly.

Remember the retail price isnt a true guide to the wholesale price, seems like the N900 if picked up should be $299 and the usual £0- 100 in the UK.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/d.aspx?i=179174
http://www.expansys-usa.com/d.aspx?i=187417

Last edited by dansus; 2009-09-06 at 18:16.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Back from the cottage:

What is correct in the MobileNews article is that operators may choose not to sell the N900 with subsidies. We decided for now to ship the first Maemo device with cellular features as is i.e. without operator customization. One of the many benefits is that we can manage only one main branch of the software and any feedback from consumers can quickly be addressed across the whole global installed base. Not having operator services installed onboard means less service revenues and, therefore, the N900 might be less interesting to subsidize.
What maybe was misunderstood somewhere along the line are the general customization capabilities in the UI. The UI is one of the most flexible out there with a degree of freedom in the desktop superior to most smartphones. The fact that we make this "customization/personalization" only available to consumers has many reasons one of them mentioned above.

At the end of day, like somebody already said in this thread, it's the consumers that decide what they buy from whom. N900 will be available through unsubsized retail and operators with different data bundles in selected countries. Where exactly and from which operators? Well, we just need to wait and see.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by impreza_sti View Post
This is my first post here.
I am from Greece and a lot of people here have the same question.Will it be available in Greece,full Greek with the hardware keyboard including Greek letters;
I do not know if i can get an answer from here,and i am realy sorry if this is not the place for this question.
Its not the right place but I'll answer anyway.

Only thing I found was http://www.nokia.gr/products/phones/nokia-n900 now ask yourself. Why would that all be translated to Greek if the device isn't coming to Greece? I'd say the answer is: N900 is coming to Greece. If and how the keyboard is localized I don't know. The Flash video on that website is generic, in English.

There doesn't seem to be Greek online shop for Nokia products. If I were you I'd go to a Nokia store to ask, phone Nokia, or e-mail Nokia. However chances are they don't know themselves either because else the information would be online on their website.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
AFAIK such subscriptions are always more expensive than a phone-based subscription whereas they're often more liberal (VoIP allowed, tethering allowed).

That is a reason why a subscription with N900 might be more expensive. Operators count it at 'computer' instead of 'phone'.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
right now i would say the N900 looks like a expensive dev platform, not a customer device.

sad really, as the most creative developers is found among the customers going "hmm, it would be nice if this thing in my pocket could do X"...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:

Tags
carrier, n900, networks, nokia v. cell carrier war, operator, telco