Active Topics

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by RobertHall View Post
whatever the issue is with my phone is on the emmc. (which will not flash) I have my device in rd mode (but no info is showing) bright white screen and nokia logo usb icon top right.
the last time info showed up it stated hw revision 2101 and "no initfs \o/
(not showing any info now)
So I guess you currently have no kernel in-place. Normal fiasco ("combined") flashing should fix it, but apparently your image is corrupted. Even if it has worked before, I'd suggest you re-download the image and try it again.

everytime i try to flash the emmc the phone disconnects immediately, and even pulling the cable and restarting does nothing.
but it is clear i need the emmc flashed
Try to fix the above point first. Flashing (correctly) the kernel and the rootfs should give you a bootable system.

It may be that your eMMC is damaged. Even in that case Maemo should be able to boot!

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
I would really give other OS(32bit)/machine a chance.

If you did already im sorry for repeating myself, but trying all those amounts of failed flash in same environment aren't taking you anywhere...

If it was me i would:

1st use other os 32bit/machine

2nd Keep up with the battery. Try new battery? even other and shorter USB cable.

Maybe (just a maybe) your N900 board as contaminants in it that may prevent it to function normally, if not really damaged as many happen to be at some point.

3rd open it up (carefully, very easy, service manual and youtube tuts available wildly to do it) and clean it up with isopropyl alcohol or good pcb cleaner. After dry (10 minutes, not so long but...) assemble it back and try with the flash again.

But hey, this is just me ok? If some here (more experienced for sure than me on this handset) tells you not to follow my tips, don't follow my tips please.

The Following User Says Thank You to AbsolutoCaos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
It may be that your eMMC is damaged. Even in that case Maemo should be able to boot!
What if in the process of reprogramming the eMMC, it deletes the older FS and fails to create a new one, does it still boot (or should)?

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Barbados/London
will be using another machine and ive got the ubuntu live cd to give it whirl wish me luck...will post results

The Following User Says Thank You to RobertHall For This Useful Post:
will be using another machine and ive got the ubuntu live cd to give it whirl wish me luck...will post results
Good luck man! Seriously.

The Following User Says Thank You to AbsolutoCaos For This Useful Post:
hey RobertHall, any news?

didnt get the chance as yet, been swamped with work. should try linux today....

here is an update
1. phone only flashes in rd mode
2. phone flashes emmc but in pc suite mode (it is successful)
3. using xp virtual mode
4. using original fiasco and emmc (not latest)
5. trying to "cold flash" gives "must supply 2nd image" (how do i do that?)
6. at some points the phone does boot up but gets stuck at the "2nd circle"
7. phone still reboots at nokia logo white screen

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
2. phone flashes emmc but in pc suite mode (it is successful)
Care to explain that one?

Am I correct in assuming that you know how to flash the N900 and you know that this is done by the boot loader (NOLO), which runs, like, when you turn on the N900?

I cannot possibly imagine what relation this may have with PC Suite mode. This is something that you select (PC Suite or Mass Storage) when you connect via USB with the Maemo desktop up & running, which will never be the case when you flash.

And remember:
1. forget about cold flashing,
2. re-download and re-double-check that you have the latest images of both fiasco and vanilla.

There are reports that downgrading the firmware may lead to a non-functioning GSM firmware.

And please, post the exact output of your flashing session. I want to see when you see anything about PC Suite mode.

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
as in when i flash the fiasco (holding "u") it flashes when i try the same with emmc it never flashes, it autodisconnects. then reconnects after a few minutes and the connection is no longer update mode but pc suite mode. strange i know.
here are two youtube videos showing what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMghG...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_EAD...ature=youtu.be
(when i tap my finger on the screen its to show that there is no usb icon)

now help please!!

Last edited by RobertHall; 2012-09-21 at 20:44. Reason: added info

Tags
cold-flash, help please., no need 2 thnx