Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Fighting is normal, being upset is normal. Closing threads just reignites the fire and without question, a new more ignorant thread will open.

I must admit that I liked it better when only Reggie would close threads that would get out of hand. It only ever took a PM to Reggie to say hey this is getting out of hand. However it seems now that threads seem to get closed constantly, or maybe its just the ones I am reading and wanting to respond to.

Additionally I VERY much disagree with making final statements, then saying closed.

I have been a screamer at Nokia in the past and I went on to be a council member.

Some people around here need to separate themselves from there feelings and let others have their rants. Why has this changed? Is it because Nokia has a perceived ownership, is it moderator madness? WTF??

There has to be a better way to deal with asshats who open complaining threads.

I personally would rather create a new section, called asshats and move all the potentially trolling threads to it. Then have them not show up under active topics, or on internettablettalk.com homepage (Am I the only one who still uses it as this entrance?)

Anyway, I personally think that very few things should cause a thread to close or a person to be booted. Slurs against race/religion/sex/sexual preference.

I hate Nokia or I love the Iphone IS NOT A VALID REASON. Saying Nokia screwed me and **** on me and ate my first born, just doesn't cut it for me.

This is all just my opinion, however I believe some of what goes on here is perpetuated by the people who are vigilantly trying to stop it.

There has to be a better way......
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
I do think there should be another forum called asshats. And penguinbait, critcizing Nokia is not what's the problem, hell I do it. It's the manner in which people do it (both the fanboys and the trolls).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Sorry there is no other way. Look other popular forums with highly devoted users like hydrogenaudio and doom9. Those places kick people even talking offtopic. AND those places keep on going. This place has been recently gone down.

AND i very very much agree on making final statement and closing. Also i would like to see in final statements where users get banned for some time period so that they can cool off.

Of course we can have our little offtopic/ /b/, but before that i think little clean up doesn't make bad.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I do think there should be another forum called asshats. And penguinbait, critcizing Nokia is not what's the problem, hell I do it. It's the manner in which people do it (both the fanboys and the trolls).
This is all just my opinion, however I believe some of what goes on here is perpetuated by the people who are vigilantly trying to stop it.

There has to be a better way......
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
You aren't the only one who still uses the internettablettalk.com homepage to enter here.

Unfortunately I think that some things happening here are the result of the Nokia affiliation. As we know, when you start hanging out with the wrong sort, bad things are bound to ensue.

It would be much easier to deal with trolls except that Nokia affiliation is like a lightning rod. And I wonder how many people here are really loyal to Nokia anyway? I only have five Nokia products because they happen to be the best for my purposes right now. The minute I find better products, good riddance to Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Sorry there is no other way. Look other popular forums with highly devoted users like hydrogenaudio and doom9. Those places kick people even talking offtopic. AND those places keep on going. This place has been recently gone down.

AND i very very much agree on making final statement and closing. Also i would like to see in final statements where users get banned for some time period so that they can cool off.

Of course we can have our little offtopic/ /b/, but before that i think little clean up doesn't make bad.
I see it says you joined in Dec 2009. I have been HERE since Jan 2006, and this place went down hill as soon as Nokia became involved.

EDIT

IMO

Last edited by penguinbait; 2010-06-12 at 17:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Sure. The threads that are working towards developing an app or to collect info for a dev. should be kept clean. to be able to find useful info.

But if a thread is created for the sole purpose of "trollin". let it go. people need to vent. If it clutters an important category. just move the thread a new category.

But closing while saying a statement that agrees with any of the arguing parties is nazi work.

Last edited by Corso85; 2010-06-12 at 17:19.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corso85 For This Useful Post:
Pretty much, people see that Nokia sponsors this forum and the servers and they think Nokia pays attention to it. And as a result they kick and scream thinking that Nokia pays attention to this forums when all they are doing is annoying the people who actually want to be here.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by slender View Post

Not necessarily. I've been here a long time and recently noticed that mods are taking action based on content of remarks and not conduct or breaking forum rules.

The following thread was closed because a few people thought the discussion should occur on another forum, not because any forum rules were broken:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=48929

I sent a PM to the moderator and he didn't respond. A shame IMHO.

EDIT: and it was a stickied thread.

Last edited by SD69; 2010-06-12 at 17:24.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm going to close threads that are solely designed to attack the community.

Of all people penguinbait, you should be aligned with that.

Originally Posted by Corso85 View Post
But closing while saying a statement that agrees with any of the arguing parties is nazi work.
Ah, the inevitable hyperbolic invocation of Godwin's Law [1]

Feel free to find a forum dedicated to hatred, anger and anarchy if this one doesn't suit you.

I'm tired of spending my rare personal time plowing through PMs and reported post emails to deal with the occasional nastiness here only to encounter rank exaggerations like yours. Be very careful in your wishes-- I'm actually a light moderator and if I get disgusted enough to quit you might not like either alternative afterward.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Not necessarily. I've been here a long time and recently noticed that mods are taking action based on content of remarks and not conduct or breaking forum rules.
Not THIS moderator. I'm very tolerant but lately I've had enough of the community attack threads. They serve NO purpose, SD69.

But anyone who doesn't like my approach is free to complain about it to Reggie. I almost quit this thankless gig once and I've been on the edge of it lately. I'm trying to strike a balance and help the overall community and I'm not going to cater to a shrill minority. Anyone who thinks this role is easy is deluding themselves.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-06-12 at 17:34.

The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
community, we the people