Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
I think it is what it is and could still be quite useful. At this point if someone wants a tablet running SF with better specs they will have to buy an Android tablet and port SF. Not a bad thing in itself but may be difficult. Note sure if SF has been ported on Android device running MM and beyond which is a couple of years old now.
And don't forget we are talking an x86 machine, not ARM. With Intel apparently exiting the mobile arena this might be one of the last chances of having an x86 tablet running a fully supported real Linux distro. This together with the recent XWayland success on Sailfish OS might open some interesting possibilities.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
As an owner of a Jolla tablet, I'm happy to hear Jolla will now spend some time on further optimizing Sailfish for tablets. Not that I'm having major issues with it BTW. Main problem I think are with Android apps running out of RAM. Also, the Web browser is a bit slow on some sites, but they're the same sites my Jolla phone is slow on.

FWIW I think Mark Dillon's original ideas on doing a tablet version of Sailfish were good: people are more likely to try out a new OS on a tablet than on a phone they use daily, need a SIM card in to make calls etc. Worst case you end up with a gadget that you can use as a second or third home consumer device for browsing or to control your Spotify, whereas a disappointing phone will end up in a drawer collecting dust.

And BTW this new initiative may be an option for me to buy a spare tablet just in case ..

Also, anyone who has seen my tablet likes it. I think SailfishOS 2 may be even more intuitive as a tablet OS than as a phone OS.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
Also, anyone who has seen my tablet likes it. I think SailfishOS 2 may be even more intuitive as a tablet OS than as a phone OS.
This may be because SFOS2 was designed with the tablet in mind, as part of the tablet project. While it kind of works on the phone, it dropped some features that made an outstanding phone experience on SFOS1.

BTW, regarding the main content of your post:

As an owner of 2 Jolla tablets I don't need a spare one. BUT knowing that there were so few tablets actually delivered and (probably) even less are in daily use, I always kept wondering how long Jolla (let alone app developers) will support this hardware.

Now that there's a chance of the userbase growing again, I expect to profit from the new production run in terms of software support. I couldn't be more happy about this.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
This may be because SFOS2 was designed with the tablet in mind, as part of the tablet project. While it kind of works on the phone, it dropped some features that made an outstanding phone experience on SFOS1.
OK, but on the other extreme, the Sailfish smart watch prototype that also uses (some variant of) SFOS2 uses the same UI and also looks natural. I think few companies managed to come up with a design that scales so nicely across different screen sizes. Perhaps it's an advantage of Jolla being such a small company. The same handful of people are probably doing the design for all devices.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Some quick heads-up:

The New "Keyboard Case" has started model design, concept is shown attached or in this link for a clearer picture.

Features:

- Detachable BT keyboard, and can be used on other devices if you really want.

- Magnet that adhere the keyboard to the cover.

- You can wrap the cover with the keyboard, or without.

Regarding production, from next week will product 100 pioneer sample, to test if there is any problem during assembly and to test product. Will send a portion to Jolla to improve software.

PCB production has to involve a certain amount of days because of its process, if all goes well the 100 samples are set to complete in about 3-4 weeks.

If all goes well after we verified quality of these samples - if they are good enough we will start fundraising and reserve components in bigger quantity. Will keep updated.
Attached Images

The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Some quick heads-up:
The New "Keyboard Case" has started model design, concept is shown attached or in this link for a clearer picture.
Wow, you weren't kidding, it's a much clearer picture. And it looks really nice! Which one is more likely to be the final design? The flat one or mister bumpybottom?
Also, since it's gonna be asked sooner or later it might as well be me: Is there a plan for multiple keyboard layouts (or stickers)?

If this works nicely with the jolla tablet (you mentioned minimal case modifications for keyboard attachment?), sign me up – even in case I won't be able to get one of your tablets! I've had some BT keyboards that wouldn't work (not even discoverable) with SFOS but worked perfectly with android. Make sure to test the planned chips really early to save yourself some stress and money.
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
Since we are in an revival festival. Your friend dont made the Lauta Prototypes to?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by chilango View Post
Since we are in an revival festival. Your friend dont made the Lauta Prototypes to?
Let me build up some credibility end experience with the Moto Mod and the Tablet, then why not?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Pretty darn nice indeed. Thanks for the updates.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Ok, but when you do the certificates and legal stuff, what shall I put for the name and model? (It has to be registered)

If you have an already registered but not in use name, please share with me.
Call it anything you like. Just don't put the name on the hardware, especially not on the front. Also would rather not have the sailfish and Intel logos.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os