Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 164 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Chateauroux, FRANCE
nokia is going to call me in a few hours to discuss on how they will give me a working n900
(Nokia Care France)

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
so this is what happend to me:!
bought on 17 dec 2009 got problem en send it for repair on apr and got a replacement on 6 may 2010
that one got again this problem for about 3 times and send it for repair and they nicely repaired all the times without replacement again.
the fourth time when i got charging problems and send it again for repair they actually refused to repair it and said that it is water damage?
i brought the phone everytime to the shop where i bought it and they send it to nokia for repair only this time nokia came with this story about waterdamage while it was clearly usb connector issue again and they what i think why they decide not to repair the 4th time is that the phone wasn't repairable anymore so it should be replaced instead of that they try to convinse me that they researched the damage of the first phone i bought which was replaced after i send it because of falling out usbconnector,
they came to the discovering of waterdamage on the first phone and therefore i wasn't suppose to get the replaced one but cause i already got that and have same issue they said because of the waterdamage on the first phone my warranty voided and therefore i can not get the second one repaired under warranty.
we all know thats just ********!!!
thats a typical way of getting rid of complaining clients.
i explained them that this is a global issue and also told them about the somekind aknowledgement nokia made about this issue that it should get repaired under warranty i even showed them the site even then they try to get rid of me by giving me the fault of waterdamage?
so i got really mad at the shop and i told them thats just ******** way of threating customers and i will sue them for not giving me a new or a full repaired phone!!!
what i did to win this fight i first send them a letter to give them a chance to recover the problems of the device or give a replacements and i want a reply within a week but they didn't replyd on that letter!!!
than i send them a very threatfull letter wihich saying that i will sue them if they not give me my rights and i also told them that i disagree with that hole waterdamage story cause they knew that it was the same problem as before!!
and i demand a reply in a week!

then suddenly the shop called me within the week,
asking me if i can come to the shop,
i got there and came to know from them that nokia still refused to repair my phone under warranty and so the shop decided to give me a replacement from their own!!!?weird!?
but i know now that people should not accept every anser they get for this issue insead of that better threat them with suing and u might get one after i hard fight!

get up stand up ,
standup for ur rights!!!!

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Missouri
UPDATE: I got a call from Nokia today about the N95 they promised me for the extended time of waiting for my N900 to be repaired. They now are offering a free C6 for the wait. Must say, better then the N95. You can sell the C6 for more =]

So you if you are waiting on your repair, try calling them about getting a free phone.

So you got to keep the C6

13 days later and nokia have replaced the faulty n900 with a new one. Pretty pleased!!

@everyone

Does the newer products have the same problem ????? Ive googled and saw reports saying nokia has rectified it on newer products...

If so, whats a safe purchase for now?? The date that i should check for i mean................................

Mine broke and they didn't manage to fix it so I got a new unit. Hopefully this is a newer model that doesn't suffer from the same problem

PS: is there any way to know whether this is newer hardware revision or just refurbished old one?

Recently, I had the micro USB port on my N900 fail me. It's completely snapped off the main board - rendering the device semi-useless, I cannot charge or connect it to my PC anymore and that's a bit of a problem. After taking it to Nokia Care to get an official diagnosis they advised that this wasn't to be covered by warranty and thus would do nothing about it.

So the device itself still works, it can boot into maemo and all that good stuff, I just need to charge the battery externally, which isn't too much of a problem either.

I'm wondering whether anyone else has faced a situation like this? and whether there could be a way to solder a new micro USB port or even re-fit the old one? (see pic)

Any ideas concerning this would be greatly appreciated!

Update:
Larger version of the below image:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j4...se/Image-2.png
Attached Images

Last edited by joshgillies; 2010-10-17 at 13:49.

it is covered by the nokia care warranty, unless you've dismantled everything, in which case, im not sure if the warranty is voided.

But, they'll say that it's not covered by warranty, and you ask them what the expected lifetime of the usb device is.. all you have to do is push them, and tell them that this isn't what you expected. This is a manufacturer's defect, and that you know many devices that this has happened to (like mine) and were fixed under the warranty, and that this ought to be covered under manufacturer's 2 year warranty as per the country's (or region's) law, failing which legal action could be taken against them

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
There is a huge thread on this subject.

It is covered and a known problem.

I cant believe that Nokia care is still pulling this ****.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty