Wonder if any one else is having problems with the paint on the keyboard coming off already?
The blue arrow on mine's starting to wear thru now, and is pretty anoying for a few month old hadnset!

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
Mine's perfect, even with quite heavy usage for months.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Nope, don't use the keyboard extremely much though. Some of my keys are clicking when you press on the edge of them, though I should probably get it fixed...

same problem here.
started with space key.
now also part of the paint is gone on e r t u i delete a h l n m and .
have to hand it in soon to get it fixed.
i got a replacement phone in beginning of march. after my usb connector broke after 3 weeks use. and i had to fight with nokia for 7 weeks until they fixed it with a replacement phone.
so a little worried to give that crap nokia company my mobile again, 7 weeks to repair is a little long...
i use my keyboard quite a lot. but i also did for years on my previous phone sonyericsson p1i and keys are still fine...

i guess its beyond dispute that most part of the n900 is crap, e.g. the frame become loose after a few months, hence physical clicks when y ou tap screen. bottom half frame clicks when you press in, feels dead cheap. slider holds up for about 3months then it begins to break itself down. oh yea forgot to mention the world famous fragile usb plug, on a 500pounds device , we thank nokia for these surprising extra features.

blue arrow also wearing off... at least it replaceable I guess

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by das_schlumpfie View Post
i guess its beyond dispute that most part of the n900 is crap, e.g. the frame become loose after a few months, hence physical clicks when y ou tap screen. bottom half frame clicks when you press in, feels dead cheap. slider holds up for about 3months then it begins to break itself down. oh yea forgot to mention the world famous fragile usb plug, on a 500pounds device , we thank nokia for these surprising extra features.
I call BS, I have had my N900 since December and have no problems with its state! I'm not saying there aren't faulty ones, but claiming the N900 is crap because "some of them" are faulty is idiotic.

About the only problem I may have is I do get the clicking of the frame sometimes but that is not at all unusual for a resistive touchscreen suspended over the LCD rather than sat flush on it, a resistive screen will always flex when positioned like that with a high chance it will audibly click. Does it actually cause any malfunction of the device? Not that I am aware of.

My USB port is fine (though I do worry about it), my slider is a lot more loose than it was but still fine IMO and no paint is coming off the keys. I would argue that if paint is coming off yours it might be that you aren't washing your hands enough. Oils and whatever else you might have on your fingers could be damaging the paint, although again perhaps a few N900s are defective.

Heck, my iPod Touch is far worse, the glue holding the glass panel on became unstuck in the bottom right corner making it no longer flush with the frame, after I only had it a week. If you catch it wrong it can be quite sharp and there are several reports of the same thing on the Internet. It doesn't mean they are ALL defective though.

Oh wait, my N900 screen is scratched too that MUST be Nokias fault, not that I accidentally put it in the same pocket as my asthma inhaler which scratched it!

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
No problems. Heavy usage here - NEVER used the onscreen kb in my life. Wouldn't even know where to find it. All physical keys are in perfect condition. You guys got long nails?

The Following User Says Thank You to jaysire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
wearing off here, but i have bit weird habit of writing with my nails :|

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
no problems here, but a friend had.
He got a new keyboard for free.

edit: thats so strange! I was one of the firsts that had the N900. And I didn't have had any problems. no reboot loops, no dead pixel, no loose usb port, no weared off keyboard.

what I'm doing wrong??

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post: