as in-maemo already mentioned a couple of posts above, the n900 can be configured to support bluetooth pan tethering which android supports out of the box. as soon as you enable the n900's bluetooth pan ability (see Bluetooth Profiles--you basically need to enable the "network" plugin and restart the bluetooth daemon) and pair/repair that Galaxy tab to it, you should see a tethering option for the paired n900.

Clicking on the tethering option will connect the devices, but until you configure the bluetooth network properly, you won't actually get data passed through properly--that's where the scripts come in.

edit: stupid grammer mistakes

Last edited by jschan; 2011-04-18 at 03:16.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I used the integrated Archos Bluetooth/USB tether, but you can try this one instead, it is supposed to work:
http://www.chinadigitalcomm.com/andr...ork-t1325.html

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I can use USB "tethering" on my Galaxy S ... which is a Galaxy Tab sans the extra pixels/size.
Interesting... care to share how you do it ? (DUN, PAN etc.)

Originally Posted by in-maemo View Post
I recently got an Android wifi only Xoom working tethered to my N900. My first ideas (Wifi, DUN) didn't pan out, but I was able to get PAN to, err, pan out.
Ah yes, PAN... knew of it but never actually tried it, as it obviously takes some doing, whereas DUN "just worked"...until now.

Well, this could be the excuse I needed to finally try, so thanks for the pointer !

Originally Posted by jschan View Post
as in-maemo already mentioned a couple of posts above, the n900 can be configured to support bluetooth pan tethering which android supports out of the box. as soon as you enable the n900's bluetooth pan ability (see Bluetooth Profiles--you basically need to enable the "network" plugin and restart the bluetooth daemon) and pair/repair that Galaxy tab to it, you should see a tethering option for the paired n900.
Thanks for answering my question before I even asked it ! You guys are amazing :-)
I'd just read the entire thread where you discuss the scripts, and was thinking "Okay, I get the N900 side, but how is that going to work on the Tab ?"...
Well, now I know :-)

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
I used the integrated Archos Bluetooth/USB tether, but you can try this one instead, it is supposed to work:
What, so there actually may be a DUN option after all ?

So much for the "impossible" part then, what a relief :-)

I'm beginning to regret starting this in off Topic as a rant... now it's turned into an interesting and useful thread, and I can't even thanks all of you properly !...

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
What, so there actually may be a DUN option after all ?

So much for the "impossible" part then, what a relief :-)

I'm beginning to regret starting this in off Topic as a rant... now it's turned into an interesting and useful thread, and I can't even thanks all of you properly !...
Indeed! Thanks for posting your rant. And even greater thanks to everyone that provided these latest posts with solutions--great stuff! Thanks all-around from this side!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
OK, tried that and reporting... a total lack of success :-)

The app does install and the GUI runs just fine, but nothing works. Thanks to the screen captures I can more or less guess why :

1) the first step (get BD address) uses hcitool. Unfortunately hcitool is not present on the Galaxy Tab version of Froyo :-)

2) Of course I know my N900's BT address, so on to step #2 (get channel). This one uses sdptool, which *is* present, but the GUI still doesn't detect anything. If I run the command line in a root shell, all it says is "couldn't connect ... no route to host". The BT icons never turn blue or even flicker on tablet or phone.

3) Of course, the above commands, run on the N900, work just fine, flip both BT icons and give me a channel #

4) Even with all parameters correct (address, channel, APN etc.) the BT DUN app doesn't even seem to try to connect, and ends up with something about a "ppp error".

Sounds like all that talk about "Android fragmentation" is justified after all :-)

And now I'm really going to have to dig into that PAN stuff, no more excuse for being lazy...

Bwahahaahhaa! Further evidence of how lame 'droid is. Symbian has provided DUN for about a decade now.

Just a thought, you have 'paired' them right?

Tags
hacking, scamdroid, tethering