An interesting article following today's results announcement, does this mean perhaps a bigger push for meego than we anticpated and Nokia are going to announce more than one new meego device this month?

Alternatively are the rumours about WM7 on Nokia's phones true and so are going to see an OS using WM7, if a big push into the US market is looming?

http://mobilized.allthingsd.com/2011...ed-next-month/

Last edited by droitwichgas; 2011-02-11 at 08:37.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
An interesting article following today's results announcement, does this mean perhaps a bigger push for meego than we anticpated and Nokia are going to announce more than one new meego device this month?
Just have to wait and see. There's no reason the N9's old hardware couldn't run MeeGo (since the N900 is the baseline) and just be a lower-tier device...

Alternatively are the rumours about WM7 on Nokia's phones true and so are going to see an OS using WM7, if a big push into the US market is looming?
Well, it'd do wonders for Microsoft's drive to undermine open source, and it'd simplify who I won't buy mobile devices from in the future. Certainly, an announcement like that would cripple the entire MeeGo project.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Wall Street site seem to think they will make Android devices for the markets where they are weak.
There was Rumour months back before the WP7 one started that Elop was talking to the Google CEO, so who knows maybe Wall Street journal are right not long before we know

Last edited by NvyUs; 2011-01-27 at 19:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
Wall Street site seem to think they will make Android devices for the markets where they are weak.
Wall Street also gave us the housing bubble, for what their knowledge is worth

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
does this mean perhaps a bigger push for meego than we anticpated and Nokia are going to announce more than one new meego device this month?
“We made a decision to not proceed as people thought we would proceed,” Elop said.
To me that sounds more like going for another OS all together.

Although Elop didn’t name any names, he did talk about the need for the company to “build or join a competitive ecosystem,” suggesting that it might be open to shifting to a competing platform.
That kind of sums it all up. No?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mohannad For This Useful Post:
Although I'm no fan of WM7, I think that having some smartphones with a more popular OS for the average, would definately help them out of the misery. Just look at HTC, Samsung, LG etc.... they all build nice phones around existing OS', shoot them out like there would be no tomorrow and are big players in the high-end market.

Nokia on the other hand sits on Symbian, which mentioning in one sentence with 'high-end' leaves a bit of a bitter taste. Maemo is a really cool OS but in the end for Nokia as a company probably wasn't really all that worth it guessing from the support (or lack thereof) they provide and in which critical situation they see themselves.

Meego may change the situation a bit, but I'll doubt that its usage will come even close to that of Android or i-not-OS, so I guess that even then Nokia won't be able to sell as many phones as HTC etc. do in this high-end sector. Having a strong, second plattform for the high-end may push this whole thing a lot though.

Edit: To be clear here: I don't hope for any WM7 phone nor for any other Android device with this crappy OS, but for Nokia as a profit-oriented company it would definately be up-lifting and I don't see any danger for the Meego Project in here either.

Last edited by MONVMENTVM; 2011-01-27 at 20:03.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MONVMENTVM For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM View Post
Although I'm no fan of WM7, I think that having some smartphones with a more popular OS for the average, would definately help them out of the misery. Just look at HTC, Samsung, LG etc.... they all build nice phones around existing OS', shoot them out like there would be no tomorrow and are big players in the high-end market.

Nokia on the other hand sits on Symbian, which mentioning in one sentence with 'high-end' leaves a bit of a bitter taste. Maemo is a really cool OS but in the end for Nokia as a company probably wasn't really all that worth it guessing from the support (or lack thereof) they provide and in which critical situation they see themselves.

Meego may change the situation a bit, but I'll doubt that its usage will come even close to that of Android or i-not-OS, so I guess that even then Nokia won't be able to sell as many phones as HTC etc. do in this high-end sector. Having a strong, second plattform for the high-end may push this whole thing a lot though.

Edit: To be clear here: I don't hope for any WM7 phone nor for any other Android device with this crappy OS, but for Nokia as a profit-oriented company it would definately be up-lifting and I don't see any danger for the Meego Project in here either.
But how could Meego compete against WP7 and the backing of MS, I can see average Nokia users looking for a smartphone going for Nokia WP7's and the new N9 meego could then just become a N900 maemo where no developers are really interested in it as it will have such a small market share, unless Nokia push the meego to real high end phones/mobile tabs? Perhaps the instinctv developers were told something similar a couple of months ago?

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Here's the conference call recording to those who want to avoid third party interpretations and hear what exactly was said with context in place. Relevant stuff would be the beginning of Elop's speech and the Q&A.

The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
But how could Meego compete against WP7 and the backing of MS, I can see average Nokia users looking for a smartphone going for Nokia WP7's and the new N9 meego could then just become a N900 maemo where no developers are really interested in it as it will have such a small market share, unless Nokia push the meego to real high end phones/mobile tabs? Perhaps the instinctv developers were told something similar a couple of months ago?
Yeah that's the hard thing to guess. But imho just very, very few people pay lots of money for a smartphone just because it's from Nokia. Most people buying a smartphone, buy one because they are interested/attracted in/to 1 of the OS'es available.

Let's say Joe decides he wants a WM7 phone and even though he likes Nokia a lot, they only have Symbian and MeeGo available. So what's he do? Buy a WM7 phone in a blink from the competition, because he doesn't want MeeGo. He buys from the company that currently offers the best price/performance/feature ratio for the mobile OS he wants. See Milestone, Desire, Galaxy S etc. for examples in the Android world. And it also seems that everybody knows and wants these phones, but on the contrary it seems that hardly anybody knows the n900... Every day someone is asking me what kind of phone I own and they're stunned by the built-in fm transmitter ^^.

The Following User Says Thank You to MONVMENTVM For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Windows Phone 7 out of the question b/c he talks about needing to be able to differentiate. there's no opportunity on WP7

The Following User Says Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org