Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by eikido View Post
9?? I use only 1.
Well that's why I said, in a sense, in the OP, "To the people who wants up to 9 home screens..."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Do not install modified-hildon-desktop from extras-devel, it is an old version, and it does not include a lot of features (including more than 4 desktops feature). Since the autobuilder can't build this package, it can't be updated. I already asked for its removal.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Yeah...I really don't see why we need that many screens. Seems like it will be faster to just hit the menu screen instead of swiping frustratingly to find that one screen.

I think it's more for the widgets, especially how some widgets can't be resized and take up alot of room.

Though I would've prefered if they made the desktops in a 2x2 configuration. So you can access any desktop with one swipe rather than 2.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
Originally Posted by rolan900d View Post
i am unable to set other wallpapers in these extra screens!
Have you installed modified hildon desktop as per the first post?

Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
Originally Posted by buxz777 View Post
would we change

gconftool-s / t apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views/5/bg-image-string / path / to / background.jpg

to

gconftool-s / t apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views/9/bg-image-string / path / to / background.jpg

to get the nine home screens?? saying that seven would probs be enough :-)
You'd need a line for each extra screen, so: -

...views/5/bg-image... for the 5th screen
...views/6/bg-image... for the 6th screen
...views/7/bg-image... for the 7th screen
...views/8/bg-image... for the 8th screen
...views/9/bg-image... for the 9th screen

Thanks John....

So I need to do that fist line several times or use commands with /

Maybe you can help me out?

Background (and the activate desktops dialogue) are controlled by hildon-home, rather than hildon-desktop, where there is also a compile time limit of 4 desktops. You also need to replace hildon-home with one compiled for 9 desktops for those features to work.

Such a compiled package is here:
http://my.arava.co.il/~matan/770/n90...+0m5_armel.deb

Originally Posted by Laughing Man
Though I would've prefered if they made the desktops in a 2x2 configuration. So you can access any desktop with one swipe rather than 2.
I can arrange the desktops in some 2D configuration for using with the keyboard arrows, but since I do not like to use the touch screen, using it to move up/down is a feature I won't work on.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I think it's more for the widgets, especially how some widgets can't be resized and take up alot of room.

I see what your saying. I lov the idea! I hope some one can implement that.... That would be awesome(like all 4 in a box formation)enables die-angle swiping

im interested in having a few extra home screens, but some info in this thread is conflicting.

am i to follow these instructions or not?

http://maemobriefs.blogspot.com/2010...e-screens.html