Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
So we have a 5 (or 6, depending on which date you look at) years old patent.
Where are the devices?
I'm sure you know, but let's just lay it out anyway - patents like this are often filed to prevent the competition doing something, rather than being used for their intended purpose (protecting an innovative product from being copied).

My brother has some experience with this - his employer will (or used to, at least) pay employees for patent submissions if they are successful. The company funds the legal costs of the patent application etc. He applied for a couple, one of which was basically a glass screen that changes contrast / colour depending on what's behind it so that the text remains visible (think bus stop advert). To my mind that's not novel, and it doesn't pass the "not obvious to someone who does this kind of thing every day" test either, but they thought it was viable.

Note that this wasn't even some kind of clever mechanism / low level implementation of how to do it, just the idea that it could be done.

Patent law is, ah, patently ridiculous.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@Feathers, yes I know. It was a rhetorical question.

I have some experience with that too. My former employer ran a similar scheme. £x for a patent application, another £x if the patent gets granted. I had a patent application that for some reason was accepted as "provisional". I did not even know such a thing existed and apparently neither did the company's top management, so they did not know what to do. Eventually they paid me £x/2, with the rest to be paid when the application gets promoted to a full status. I was supposed to provide some more details for that to happen. But I had a moment of epiphany and decided not to go along with that. So I did my little bit in preventing my former employer from becoming a patent troll

@OVK, it does not need to be expensive. The Optimum keyboard is expensive because it uses a lot of small displays. A phone could use a single, cheap display covering the entire keyboard background. Ideally a resistive one so it would be activated by mere pressure.

But what am I taking about. There is a patent now exactly to prevent that happening.

Not to mention that it is all off-topic. Sorry, Chen.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Speaking of Optimus Maximus and reconfigurable keyboards,

Art Lebedev actually produced 2 different keyboard.

- The Maximus, which is a rather big keyboard - with slightly over sized keys - where each single key is a an individual OLED mini screen.

- The Popularis which is a much more compact / laptop like and which is basically a keyboard overlaid over a flat pannel display (thus much cheaper to produce than the Maximus). This also makes possible to use reasonably sized keys, and to have the whole space bar reconfigurable.

@chenliangchen :
Thank you for the news update.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yes, exactly.

So we have a 5 (or 6, depending on which date you look at) years old patent.
Where are the devices?
The device is here :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_SCH-U750 (aka "Samsung Alias 2" and "Samsung Zeal")

And it predates the patent filling by two years (released March 2009)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
@chenliangchen I already have a Jolla tablet, and I'd like to help your project by pointing out two things that I think you should consider fixing in your own product:

1. The Jolla tablet is made of a very bad quality plastic. I keep my Jolla tablet in a sleeve and hardly use it these days, but the plastic is still deteriorating. The build quality is poor: the device is squeaking.

2. The battery life is sub-par. My 4-year-old Core i7 laptop lasts longer on battery than the Jolla tablet. Not sure if this is a software or hardware issue, but it needs to be looked into.
Thank you! Actually this is what I am hesitating at the moment. And I agree with both points.

Regarding point 1, what we can do is using a better material or component when assembling. For example, solder the USB port with a better and more solid way, and using better plastic. I'm more worried about being a structural issue - which can't be fixed...

For 2, since hardware is not easy to change at this stage, we can only for on software side. Like user Explit mentioned, we can change the BIOS to a power saving option, and ask Jolla to further optimising the OS. But again, the HW limitation puts the cap too low.

P.S: As for this week, we are (finally) moving forward for the red edition, we are preparing for the marketing materials, and found out there is no way taking screenshot on SFOS 2.1, even with 3rd party app...

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2017-06-22 at 14:27.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
P.S: As for this week, we are (finally) moving forward for the red edition, we are preparing for the marketing materials, and found out there is no way taking screenshot on SFOS 2.1, even with 3rd party app...
Hold volume up + volume down, works for me on ONDA, which is based on Jolla Tablet firmware.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TheKit View Post
Hold volume up + volume down, works for me on ONDA, which is based on Jolla Tablet firmware.
It gives blank picture on stock SFOS2.1 ...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
As pointed out 2.0.5.6 (Haapajoki) is the last version upon which screenshot function worked:

Last edited by aspergerguy; 2017-06-20 at 12:02. Reason: Addition

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Now the situation is doubtful - HW has issues and can't improve, SW isn't stable for basic functions. It puts too many risks in terms of aftersale and warranty. Any hints?
I can only comment on a small subset of the whole issue. As far as warranty issues (or the general aftersales process) are concerned, according to the legislation in my country you wouldn't be responsible for features you don't promise. While "taking a screenshot" might seem the most basic thing for those who are used to it, it will not be a warranty issue as long as there's no text on the box or in the manual that states "easily take screenshots by using...". (IIRC, the earlier versions of SFOS didn't have a built-in way of taking screenshots either.) Same for battery life. Some people might expect more, but if it's given in the specs, then it's not an issue.

I can't comment on things like stability of the USB port, simply because I don't have any such structural problems on my 2 Jolla tablets. Maybe it isn't as bad at all.

As for risk management: I would guess that many potential customers know SailfishOS, its strengths and weaknesses, very well. They will be forgiving when it comes to software issues.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I can only comment on a small subset of the whole issue. As far as warranty issues (or the general aftersales process) are concerned, according to the legislation in my country you wouldn't be responsible for features you don't promise. While "taking a screenshot" might seem the most basic thing for those who are used to it, it will not be a warranty issue as long as there's no text on the box or in the manual that states "easily take screenshots by using...". (IIRC, the earlier versions of SFOS didn't have a built-in way of taking screenshots either.) Same for battery life. Some people might expect more, but if it's given in the specs, then it's not an issue.

I can't comment on things like stability of the USB port, simply because I don't have any such structural problems on my 2 Jolla tablets. Maybe it isn't as bad at all.

As for risk management: I would guess that many potential customers know SailfishOS, its strengths and weaknesses, very well. They will be forgiving when it comes to software issues.
What we will do for hardware, as mentioned, we will improve some common problems that was reported by the Jolla Tab users, as well as the assembling quality.

Regarding SW, as this will be solely on Jolla's side, I believe they can improve it into another level.

BTW as for today, we have adjusted and validated the toolings for this tablet (find attached pic). IT WILL HAPPEN and 128GB is coming!!

It was a tough one pushing it moving forward.
Attached Images

The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os