Active Topics

Does any one know if it is posible to get a navigation software for the 770?

/$vend

Koen Kooi is porting something called GPS Drive. There have been no updates though. Check it out here:

http://dominion.kabel.utwente.nl/koe...ive-maemo.html

Great, will try to take contact to him, and maybe push him to post some more.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Hants, UK
I'd love to see a GPS Drive release - I am currently automating the slicing up some UK maps into 1280x1024 and creation of the config files.

I also read that the TomTom Go devices are ARM based and run Linux, so if it becomes worthwhile I expect they will release a 770 compatible version.

Gareth

It just keeps getting better and better! I'l have to try it soon! If I have any problems getting it to work, I will ask!
I am not used to using Linux.

If any one has more information, please post. How about the GPS module, what du you use? Does the Nokia GPS work, does someone know?

/$vend

Originally Posted by $vend
It just keeps getting better and better! I'l have to try it soon! If I have any problems getting it to work, I will ask!
I am not used to using Linux.

If any one has more information, please post. How about the GPS module, what du you use? Does the Nokia GPS work, does someone know?

/$vend
I haven't got one yet, but ss far as I am aware, all Bluetooth GPS receivers present themselves as a serial port and send NMEA data and hence will work with any software that accepts NMEA data (pretty much all of them).

The brand-name receivers appear to be very expensive for no particular reason, I am planning to get one from the Hong Kong sellers on ebay - the "Rikaline" model looks good, very good acquisition times.

Gareth

Okay, I'll try with the Nokia GPS and the GPS Drive. I'll for sure also ask stupid questions.

/$vend

I haven't got my 770 yet.

So I haven't tried it yet. Did any one else try in the mean time?

/$vend

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Virginia Beach, VA USA
Any hope of this working with a wired GPS? Mine has serial only, but a serial->USB adapter then connecting it to the 770 would be worthwhile if it'd work.

Originally Posted by Lord Bodak
Any hope of this working with a wired GPS? Mine has serial only, but a serial->USB adapter then connecting it to the 770 would be worthwhile if it'd work.
You can get serial > bluetooth adapters and they might work ok. I have no idea about serial > USB, I'm not sure if the 770 even supports USB in host mode.

I haven't got a BT GPS receiver yet, I will order one tomorrow because I am nearly finished figuring out how to automagically extract my maps into a series of tiles that GPS Drive can use.

Gareth