Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Curitiba-PR . Brasil

1 GB RAM is a big design flaw. Think of multitasking both Qt- and Android-applications at the same time. swap-memory won't save them from a bad user experience.

edit:
And I don't think there could be "an other half" of extra 1 or 2 GB RAM, which would be of course nice and fix the problem.

Last edited by zimon; 2013-09-19 at 18:22.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Disagree. No amount of RAM wil save them from badly written application (and putting 2134732646324723432 GB of RAM into mobiles just encourage even more badly written "apps").

For all intent and purposes, 1GB of RAM in such device type should suffice, while 2GB would be "future-proof bleeding-edge" (I'm not talking about current state of the market, but about common sense).

Not that I have any "great love" for Jolla - it just funny to read statements like that, when sitting at device with 256 RAM we have *almost* enough for everything a sane man may want from ultra-portable computer/phone combo.
---

Of course I understand what you mean by cross-multitasking with Android, but it's rather special case. Frankly, that "android support" is kind of hoax, IMO - if they want to target geeks, android is obsolete. If they want to target android users, why not make android device?

From my perspective, it's like porting symbian to Maemo (or Debian, or whatever).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
edit:
And I don't think there could be "an other half" of extra 1 or 2 GB RAM, which would be of course nice and fix the problem.
That might actually be crazy enough to work.

Can anyone with good understanding of the I2C bus used for the other half confirm/deny if it would usable to host an external RAM chip or fast NAND for swapping ?

IIRC there was some talk in the Neo900 project about hooking a RAM chip outside of the SOC to I2C and using it for swap.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, I2C seems to top out at about 3.4 Mbit/s, so about 500 KB per second. So swapping to MicroSD will probably be a better option.

Last edited by MartinK; 2013-09-19 at 18:39.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Frankly, that "android support" is kind of hoax, IMO - if they want to target geeks, android is obsolete. If they want to target android users, why not make android device?
Or for example run android app with wireshark in order to reverse engineer the protocol used to build sailfish native app? There's a lot of geeky usages for this hoax, I'm actually looking forward to it

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
for a normal user 1gb ram is enough. what disappoints me is screen resolution. it should have been atleast 720P. but overall good specs.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
This phone will collect dust, I will land it just under my n9 still cant wait for cheapment. We need another pre-order/shipping thread. Who want to do the honer?

1 GB is ok, unless you use it for more than a phone, if you want to play top notch games, the processor and 1GB is simply not enough. For a phone and some mails and a bit of web browsing it's OK. But I don't think any real advanced games will be available anyway. I don't play so 1 GB is fine by me. But don't come here any say that its good with ONLY 1 GB in 399 Euro phone 2014, its not.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-09-19 at 19:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
That might actually be crazy enough to work.

Can anyone with good understanding of the I2C bus used for the other half confirm/deny if it would usable to host an external RAM chip or fast NAND for swapping ?

IIRC there was some talk in the Neo900 project about hooking a RAM chip outside of the SOC to I2C and using it for swap.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, I2C seems to top out at about 3.4 Mbit/s, so about 500 KB per second. So swapping to MicroSD will probably be a better option.
Boy do I just imagine the mod communities going crazy about this

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
This phone will collect dust, I will land it just under my n9 still cant wait for cheapment. We need another pre-order/shipping thread. Who want to do the honer?

1 GB is ok, unless you use it for more than a phone, if you want to play top notch games, the processor and 1GB is simply not enough. For a phone and some mails and a bit of web browsing it's OK. But I don't think any real advanced games will be available anyway. I don't play so 1 GB is fine by me. But don't come here any say that its good with ONLY 1 GB in 399 Euro phone 2014, its not.
I am afraid I have to agree. Then again, low end android phones have WAY less ram and still run O-Key(ish)....

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
qHD? Really?
So the most talked thing about sailfish was android compatibility and now this.
I'm glad I didn't preorder anything. Maybe they'll do it right next time.
I didn't expect galaxy 5, not even a galaxy 3 but this............
For 400€ I can get 2 or 3 similary speced chinese phones. And after all, it is all about android compatibility.

Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
qHD? Really?
So the most talked thing about sailfish was android compatibility and now this.
I'm glad I didn't preorder anything. Maybe they'll do it right next time.
I didn't expect galaxy 5, not even a galaxy 3 but this............
For 400€ I can get 2 or 3 similary speced chinese phones. And after all, it is all about android compatibility.
To me at least its about the UI more than anything. I'm also quite interested to see how that I2C will be used, though real products there will likely take a long time.
Granted any of these devices (N900, N9, Jolla phone) have never been my main phone. They have been toys to play, thinker around and something different.

Personally have nothing against android compatibility. I probably would not jump to this phone if the situation was the same as it was on N900 and N9 launch.

Last edited by tissot; 2013-09-19 at 20:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post: