Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Hi, I've not been back here in a LONG while. I used to have an n800, and I still love it, but was disappointed when the n900 came out (too small screen mainly) so have been using android for a while.

I really like the idea of the N9, but wondered what people's thoughts and experiences are of it.

Is the developer community as active as with the older n8x0 devices?
Is it as easy to add custom repositories to install extra software. Do 3rd party repos exist?
Presumably there is still the same support for getting to the console and gainroot equivalent? I really liked using my n800 as an SSH client (with an external keyboard).
Python support? Still good?
I've seen some references to USB OTG being worked on, how far has that got? I really want to be able to use my yubikey with it.
Just how good is the Android app support? Do apps like Google Sky Map work?

Sorry to bombard with questions. Thanks in advance.

Pixel

Really? No comments, positive or negative on the N9?

everything that you've asked has already been discussed in this very forum, simple search would've given you ask the answers.

The Following User Says Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post:
Umm, it's pretty good for me, but there are some annoying bugs in PR 1.2. Also, the lack of applications is maybe a disadvantage.

Btw, what color do you want?

No.
You are more happier with for example Samsung Galaxy S2 with double Mugen battery.

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Switzerland
Nobody can tell you what phone you should get - every person has different preferences and that's good like that.

I would say yes, because having owned and access to pretty much all OS', MeeGo is IMO the nicest one to use - I'm not a Nokia/Maemo fanboy at all, my last Nokia before N9 was...hmm to long ago to remember - I know it had a display with colors

Now I'm using N9 as my main device and I've never liked a phone that much. With PR 1.2 it got even better - certainly still has tiny bugs, but you have to look for them and they're not disturbing at all. But what OS (iOS or especially Android etc) doesn't have bugs..?

So in design, usability and integration of services the N9 is absolutely amazing.

The weak points are:

-Games: There are good games around, but not that many - especially titles from big companies. If you're not a gamer that won't bother you, otherwise yes

-Corporate Apps: The N9 got many applications over the past months - and lot of them are really good. Very useful stuff I had never found for my past device (iOS). But some corporate apps are missing - if you're very dependent on some of them, make sure you have a look whats (or what replacement) is available for N9. I found or could replace about 95% of my previous apps... but that might not be the case for everyone.

-Specs: The N9 has very good hardware - but of course not the multi-core-super-highspeed ones of some other phones. As a normal phone user that will not bother you at all - if you are a tech geek then maybe yes.

The best advice always is: Go to a phone store or ask friends to try theirs out. Just don't let yourself influence by them or any phone seller.

When I saw and tested the N9 for the first time in a store (and I knew barely anything about it and Nokia) I just couldn't let it go anymore - and with all the risks I took back then for switching to a completely different phone and platform, I'm still more convinced than ever to have picked out the right one

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to almamo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
I miss my N900's keyboard, my heart is torn. I love everything about the N9, even the keyboard except I still miss the N900's keyboard. . . It's like I'm in a new relationship but wouldn't mind going back to the previous one.

Originally Posted by somedude View Post
everything that you've asked has already been discussed in this very forum, simple search would've given you ask the answers.
Except that the search function won't recognise N9 because it is too short. Please show me the thread with information on python support for N9, or the thread that tells me whether the dalvik (?) port happened and how well it works?

I'm not trying to be funny or obnoxious, but I did search and didn't find any or conclusive answers to the questions I posted. Aside from anything else sometimes it is hard to tell the wood from the trees.

The main factor for me at the moment would be the rumoured support for Android apps; did this happen and does it work? I have purchased a number of apps such as a HAM radio repeater finder and couple of sky apps (a bit like Google Sky Map) that I would like to retain.

Things like the music player and podcast app I'm not precious about; I know they worked back in the day and am sure there are still viable alternatives.

If I'd not spent 2 years on Android and refined the apps I use I don't think I'd even hesitate. But as it is, well...

As for corporate apps, as long as it can sync with ActiveSync and get email, calendar and contacts then I'm a happy bunny

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
As an N900 user who HAD to have a hardware keyboard I must say with Swype it is a feature I no longer miss at all.

I too have found the n9 to be easily the best phone I have had, it has it's niggles but I have not seen any other fone that comes close for me. Apps are limited but the useful ones are there and the browser is good enough that I do not need apps for many things anyway.

It is just a very pleasant ownership experience that has the added bonus in the uk of being very rare.

As above, give it a try, to me it is more similar to WebOS than it is to the Maemo of the N900 (in front and GUI and usage terms)