Posts: 292 | Thanked: 294 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Milan, Italy
Mmm... the odd thing is that planning the aforementioned route (from Via Mac Mahon, 20155 Milano, Italia to Piazzale Gabrio Piola, 20131 Milano, Italia on Nokia Maps website gives the correct results...

EDIT:
Ahahahahah! This is funny too... guess who's providing map data to Milan Public Transport company for the route planning app on their website!

Last edited by Watchmaker; 2012-05-08 at 12:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to Watchmaker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 292 | Thanked: 294 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Milan, Italy
Today I had the chance to try the same routes I was talking about in mt previous posts on my mother's symbian phone, and they worked just like on Nokia Maps website. So this is an Harmattan-exclusive problem.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Watchmaker View Post
This is what i get when trying to plan a route from Via Marco Bruto, Milan to Piazza del Duomo,
I can reproduce this with N9. Nokia Maps website gets it right: http://nok.it/4wJ9L

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by lenaye View Post
Houston is a supported city. Can you try again? Which routes did you try the first time?
My point was that Houston SHOULD NOT be on this app. Of all US cities with public transportation, Houston has the least. Washington DC is not supported, oh my!!

I had to stop using this app for Philadelphia. The timetables were wrong and it was giving me connections that simply did not exist. I don't know if this is Nokia's fault or SEPTA's. Thankfully GApp is more stable now so I can just use Google transit directions, but still..

On a side note, I really don't see why Nokia can't just parse the GTFS data of these transit agencies.

Originally Posted by Sazpaimon View Post
I had to stop using this app for Philadelphia. The timetables were wrong and it was giving me connections that simply did not exist. I don't know if this is Nokia's fault or SEPTA's. Thankfully GApp is more stable now so I can just use Google transit directions, but still..
Can you give some examples of the routes you tried which gave you wrong information? The source data for this city has just been updated today, so please give it one more try on the app and let me know if you're still seeing problems.

Cheers

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lenaye For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lenaye View Post
Can you give some examples of the routes you tried which gave you wrong information? The source data for this city has just been updated today, so please give it one more try on the app and let me know if you're still seeing problems.

Cheers
I did some test routes from my house to my work (Bustleton Ave to Gwynedd Valley, SEPTA R5 station), and compared the timetables to nextsepta.com (which regularly updates GTFS data) as well as Google Maps, and it looks like it's up to date, now. And you also seem to have the night trains added (a problem I've noticed with SEPTA's APIs). I'll be out late tonight so I'll give it a shot and see if it works and get back to you.

P.S. Any hope of getting SEPTA routes colorized like Google Maps has?

The Following User Says Thank You to Sazpaimon For This Useful Post:
So I tried it again tonight, and while it had the correct times, the routing was all wrong. It wanted me to take a route that would add 30 minutes to my journey. I don't think it realizes that that you can walk from the Fern Rock train station to the bus terminal with ease (its like maybe 500 feet) so it instead opts to have you stay on the train for a longer transfer.

If you wanna try it yourself, the route I took was Ambler train station to Bustleton and, let's say Haldeman. The time was 9:00 PM. If you try it in google Maps you'll see it transfer from Fern Rock TC to route 70. Nokia public transit doesn't see that.

EDIT: Just checked Nokia's desktop maps site, and it confirmed my suspicion: http://nok.it/PqMTv ... FYI, you can NOT go East from the Fern Rock train station, you can ONLY go west onto Nedro Ave. I don't know if this is a public transit issue or a general mapping issue (and thus probably not related to the NPT team), but I figured I'd pass it along.

Last edited by Sazpaimon; 2012-05-15 at 04:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sazpaimon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sazpaimon View Post
So I tried it again tonight, and while it had the correct times, the routing was all wrong. It wanted me to take a route that would add 30 minutes to my journey. I don't think it realizes that that you can walk from the Fern Rock train station to the bus terminal with ease (its like maybe 500 feet) so it instead opts to have you stay on the train for a longer transfer.

If you wanna try it yourself, the route I took was Ambler train station to Bustleton and, let's say Haldeman. The time was 9:00 PM. If you try it in google Maps you'll see it transfer from Fern Rock TC to route 70. Nokia public transit doesn't see that.

EDIT: Just checked Nokia's desktop maps site, and it confirmed my suspicion: http://nok.it/PqMTv ... FYI, you can NOT go East from the Fern Rock train station, you can ONLY go west onto Nedro Ave. I don't know if this is a public transit issue or a general mapping issue (and thus probably not related to the NPT team), but I figured I'd pass it along.
Thanks for the detailed report. We'll look into this and get back to you. If it turns out to be an error in our routing data then expect to have the data refresh in a couple of weeks time. Cheers

The N9's GPS is UNBELIEVABLY frustrating, sometimes it takes around 10 minutes for a lock, others, 1 minute, you never know how long. This is killing the N9 and any geo apps. So disappointing.

Tags
nokia lies