Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by burwat292596 View Post
My symtoms are somewhat the same, so i set off fsck over two hours ago, and it is now renaming files in it's third thousand. I do not know how long it should take given 26gb of music, golf and snooker. The only thing that worries me is that the memory view in file manager showed 1.3gb free and that looked like a third of the available memory on the little blue bar when should show approx 1.3 against 26.8 total. Am I in more trouble than I think?
Renaming files?.. I an cautiously glad for you.

For me, it was truncating files to 0, aka deleting anything that screamed 'broken' at it. Hence, I lost all the files, which looked remotely corrupted - so that the filesystem would be not-corrupted.

But then, there can be different types of damage, I reckon.

There are three 'partitions' as far as I remember: Rootfs, Home, and MyDocs.

I had trouble only with MyDocs. Only because I was careless enough to copy over some corrupted files from a corrupted SD card.

Best wishes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Saga continues...

I got notification of CSSU update last night which I installed. It did not help the problem.

It does seem that after initial bootup and after N900 has been connected to PC in mass storage mode there is some certain script that runs executing fsck.vfat and then mounts the MyDocs. When doing that it does not seem to use the settings in fstab file, but something else. For me to troubleshoot this further I really need to find out what is the script that runs after bootup and after removing the N900 from PC. Anyone knows what is the script and where it is located?

I'm thinking it is some issue with fsck.vfat returning "error-state" and the script then mounting the system as read-only, but the strange thing is that in /etc/mtab file it shows as "vfat rw 0 0", so shouldn't be read-only?

I have tried running fsck.vfat many times with different options (including the ones wikiwide suggested couple posts back) but fsck can not find anything wrong with the mmcblk0p1. Also chkdsk scans from PC does not find any issues.

I'm thinking of backing up the MyDocs and formatting it when connected to a PC as removable drive, and copying the files back to MyDocs, unless someone can tell it is a bad idea?

EDIT: I found /usr/sbin/mmc-mount script that seems to be responsible for mounting the file system?

Last edited by Mara; 2015-01-03 at 17:44.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Same problem here, after the update all files on SDCard have root:root owner and are only writable by the owner (i.e. root). I can write there as root without problem. But non-elavated apps cannot write there (e.g. camera) which results in very weird behaviour (e.g. camera app freezing). Fsck shows no problem. It's VFAT so there are no permissions in the FS. It seems /media/mmc1 is automounted by some daemon (I wasn't able to find it yet) on first access and it mounts it as wrong owner.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yarda For This Useful Post:
Both my MMCs (internal and external SDCard) are mounted with wrong owner:

# ls -al /home/user/MyDocs/
drwxr-xr-x 26 root root 65536 Jan 3 19:29 .
drwxr-xr-x 84 user users 4096 Jan 3 19:26 ..
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 65536 Dec 7 11:36 .documents

# ls -al /media/mmc1
drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 8192 Jan 1 1970 .
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 147456 Dec 22 16:41 dcim

So really bad things are happening (apps are freezing). IIRC all should be user:root owned. It does seem that mmc-mount is now missing uid=29999 parameter:

# tail -2 /proc/mounts
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /home/user/MyDocs vfat rw,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset= iso8859-1,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/mmcblk1p1 /media/mmc1 vfat rw,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset= iso8859-1,errors=remount-ro 0 0

So:
# umount /media/mmc1
# mmc-mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 /media/mmc1 uid=29999
# ls -al /media/mmc1
drwxr-xr-x 11 user root 8192 Jan 1 1970 .
drwxr-xr-x 2 user root 147456 Dec 22 16:41 dcim

# tail -1 /proc/mounts
/dev/mmcblk1p1 /media/mmc1 vfat rw,uid=29999,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437, iocharset=iso8859-1,errors=remount-ro 0 0

And then it seems to work correctly. Currently I don't know where the uid=29999 parameter got lost, but it seems that the ke-recv needs fixing.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yarda For This Useful Post:
It seems it got lost here:
https://gitorious.org/community-ssu/...3125ee72f123de

My /etc/default/mount-opts:
# Options for mounting user's filesystems

home_opts="rw,noatime,errors=continue,commit=1,dat a=writeback"
fat_opts="noauto,nodev,noexec,nosuid,noatime,nodir atime,utf8,uid=29999,shortname=mixed,dmask=000,fma sk=0133,rodir"

So I am missing common_opts and the fat_opts doesn't match the vfat filesystem, possible fix:

--- mount-opts.orig 2013-08-20 22:25:37.000000000 +0200
+++ mount-opts 2015-01-03 22:18:20.000000000 +0100
@@ -2,3 +2,4 @@

fat_opts="noauto,nodev,noexec,nosuid,noatime,nodir atime,utf8,uid=29999,shortname=mixed,dmask=000,fma sk=0133,rodir"
+vfat_opts="$fat_opts"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yarda For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by yarda View Post
It seems it got lost here:
https://gitorious.org/community-ssu/...3125ee72f123de

My /etc/default/mount-opts:
# Options for mounting user's filesystems

So I am missing common_opts and the fat_opts doesn't match the vfat filesystem, possible fix:

--- mount-opts.orig 2013-08-20 22:25:37.000000000 +0200
+++ mount-opts 2015-01-03 22:18:20.000000000 +0100
@@ -2,3 +2,4 @@

+vfat_opts="$fat_opts"
If you look this post it does seem the user:users should have write access for MyDocs on properly mounted system:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1725

I was able to get write access working by either mounting manually MyDocs using dmask=000 and fmask=000 options. I also tried using only option uid=29999 that seems to work as well.

It does look like the mmc-mount script is not able to utilize any of the vfat-opts from mount-opts? (If you try "mount | grep MyDocs" this should show all options that were used when MyDocs was mounted?)

I was able to get write access working by either mounting manually MyDocs using dmask=000 and fmask=000 options.
This is not correct solution.

I also tried using only option uid=29999 that seems to work as well.
This is correct one.

It does look like the mmc-mount script is not able to utilize any of the vfat-opts from mount-opts?
I think there are probably two bugs:

1. The uid=29999 was previously explicitly added by mmc-mount (the ke-recv component), it is not added any more. I think it could be re-added, because it may save many people from trouble.

2. It seems that /etc/default/mount-opts has options for "fat", not "vfat", so the options are never added to "vfat" (i.e. fat32) filesytem. And this is problem, because the options are no more explicitly added by mmc-mount. To fix it just add the following to /etc/default/mount-opts:
Code:
vfat_opts="$fat_opts"
Or just change "fat" to "vfat", if you are never going to use fat16.

(If you try "mount | grep MyDocs" this should show all options that were used when MyDocs was mounted?)
This doesn't show all options, rather try:
Code:
grep MyDocs /proc/mounts

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yarda For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by yarda View Post
This is not correct solution.

This is correct one.

I think there are probably two bugs:

1. The uid=29999 was previously explicitly added by mmc-mount (the ke-recv component), it is not added any more. I think it could be re-added, because it may save many people from trouble.

2. It seems that /etc/default/mount-opts has options for "fat", not "vfat", so the options are never added to "vfat" (i.e. fat32) filesytem. And this is problem, because the options are no more explicitly added by mmc-mount. To fix it just add the following to /etc/default/mount-opts:
Code:
vfat_opts="$fat_opts"
Or just change "fat" to "vfat", if you are never going to use fat16.

This doesn't show all options, rather try:
Code:
grep MyDocs /proc/mounts
I can confirm adding the line for vfat_opts in mount-opts file does fix the problem!

It is strange that why the problem just now popped up? And it does not seem to impact everybody? The last two CSSU update changelogs mention nothing about changes in this area. Was it possibly changed but forgotten to put in the changelog?

EDIT: Reading again the changelog there is note in ke-recv about "Use new options from /etc/default/mount-opts ", among other little notes about changing mmc mounting methods.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 268 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
OT warning.
My N900 works as usual. Have not run into problems with CSSU updates. Although I'll have to admit that I am not constantly using it for anything else than phone calls and SMSes nowadays. Oh, and it is my default USB-"key".

Currently running 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo10-1, Flavor Testing
No kernel tweaks. Works great. Thank you for CSSU.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tsippaduida For This Useful Post:
Here are defaults files:
https://gitorious.org/community-ssu/...:src/mmc-mount
https://gitorious.org/community-ssu/...ian/mount-opts

As you can see both fat and vfat mount options were moved to file /etc/default/mount-opts

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:

Tags
cssu testing