Posts: 185 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Veitshöchheim, Germany
So, i have been in thailand for 2 weeks and it was awesome. I visited the island Koh Phi Phi east of Phuket. Unfortunately, it were the last days of my N900. When i decided to take a canoe on a 20km trip over the open sea, I should have left my phone in my bungalow. Instead, i gave it my brother who then kicked it off the boat with his paddle. This happend half the way and i was not in contact with him as he was about 300 meters behind me and i couldnt hear him. So i was sitting there in my canoe, the sun was shining and i was sweating at 33°C (felt like 50°C). I am a little nerd and so the only thing that gave me power was the thought that i will be soon back at my bungalow with my N900 so i can listen some music and upload pictures to facebook. After 7 hours or something, i finally approached the island and was so happy with my beer in my hand, waiting for my brother. When he looked into my face, telling me that my N900 fell into the water, my face went from to :O and ... i lost holiday-pictures of one week but more importantly, the best mobile device i have ever had. Its now 2 weeks ago and i already returned home but i have to say that i still carry my N900 with me, even if it doesnt work...

ps: its possible that only the display doesnt work because the led boots up normal and it vibrates shortly but i cant see anything.. ordered the N9 but i guess when i have money again, i will send my N900 to some repair shop. Maybe there ist still a chance..

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
If your N900 still works except for the display (which I seriously doubt) you should be able to ssh into it if you have an SSH server installed and be able to at least save your data.
Another idea to check if it works would be to call it. It should at least ring.

ssh requires that my n900 is connected to any network. as i usually disable my wlan and autoconnection is off, there wont be any. as the display doesnt work, i cannot type in my pin and so i cannot call it. i tried with H/W keyboard but nothing happend. i also tried the hdmi or what it is but nothing. i am also sure that the display is not all that is broken but it looks like its not 100% death..

ps: lightsensor works as well and i dont know but isnt the software that runs this a part of maemo?

Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
did you connet it to a computer through USB?
You could reach all your data from there!
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

no i couldnt it always says "there was a problem with a usb device"