Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Today was a great day to have my Nokia Lumia 900.

I've lost a week for a project that's due in days and not once did I have to break my concentration and touch my phone to respond to text messages from people while coding like a demon. Could reply, ignore or even call folks all day without touching my phone.

Worked flawlessly too. Loving the voice commands of WP7. If that were present on my N9, I would have stayed.

Battery life seems to be up and down though... today was a long-battery day. Via diagnostics, I'm averaging on good days 110mah per whereas on a bad battery day, it's around 300-400mah. That's not good.

IE9 on the phone is slow, but usable. Looking for true alternatives.

Despite saying otherwise, I'm not angry about going to the Lumia 900. Not at all...

Just wish I thought about my Internet sharing via making my phone into a wifi hotspot. TOTALLY forgot about that. I do miss that.

Skype is out of beta now, works great while in LTE. Otherwise, use wifi.

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Dublin, Ireland
I have few questions to you Gerbick, since you own a Nokia Lumia 900 sooo here it is:
I'm looking into buying the Nokia Lumia 900, but I read very mixed reviews. I have been the proud owner of a Nokia N900 for the past 2 years, but at this point its slowing down and I just want something different.
I have heard that either WP or the Lumia doesn't have flash support? I'ts not very clear to me so could you please clarify that, and also how does not having flash influence the web browsing?
How smooth is the OS? After watching some reviews the OS seems to be pretty smooth and no lag, but I'd like to know what you say
Does it lag/freeze or does it ever restart by itself?

From reading some forums it seems there are some software fixes that people want, how is the support from Nokia? I hope Lumia 900 wont be the next Nokia N900, I mean the way Nokia just left it without any updates and support.

That's all the question and observation I have for the moment, thanks for sharing your experience about this new device, it helps a lot!

Csaba

Last edited by csaba93; 2012-05-01 at 12:18.

Originally Posted by csaba93 View Post
I have few questions to you Gerbick, since you own a Nokia Lumia 900 sooo here it is:
I'm looking into buying the Nokia Lumia 900, but I read very mixed reviews. I have been the proud owner of a Nokia N900 for the past 2 years, but at this point its slowing down and I just want something different.
I have heard that either WP or the Lumia doesn't have flash support? I'ts not very clear to me so could you please clarify that, and also how does not having flash influence the web browsing?
How smooth is the OS? After watching some reviews the OS seems to be pretty smooth and no lag, but I'd like to know what you say

From reading some forums it seems there are some software fixes that people want, how is the support from Nokia? I hope Lumia 900 wont be the next Nokia N900, I mean the way Nokia just left it without any updates and support.

That's all the question and observation I have for the moment, thanks for sharing your experience about this new device, it helps a lot!

Csaba
Having Lumia 800, I can tell you that it is smoother than iphone, no lags, no freezing and email is the best ever I have seen on the phone. Many more apps than N900. No flash support. Software updates are coming left and right, I owned Lumia 800 for few months and had 2 updates that really improved battery life.

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
Wow...I'm surprised you like it. I just got the cyan lumia 900 a week ago and it feels like an abortion. The size is nice, but even the screen withthat weird bezel thing around it makes me go back to my n9. I Use the lumia for xbox live mostly. And the camera seems inferior too.

Originally Posted by csaba93 View Post
I have few questions to you Gerbick, since you own a Nokia Lumia 900
Sorry for just now seeing this...

Allow me to say this... if you're happy with the N900, don't get a Lumia 900. Seriously, way different class of machines, and the complexity and what you can/cannot do on a N900 is leagues above the Lumia 900.

Only thing that came close was the N9, and it fell short.

I have heard that either WP or the Lumia doesn't have flash support?
This is true. There is no Adobe Flash support on WP7. None whatsoever, and as a Flash/Flex dev, this annoys me. It doesn't really affect my surfing on the web as much as it affects me in my profession. I now have two gadgets that cannot show my work - my phone and my new iPad.

The OS is smooth, but if anybody says there's no lag, I can definitely say they're exaggerating. I've hit lag when I switch from my browser to my regular apps - say go from IE9 to my contacts, it hangs just for a second. I can do other app switches where slight lag creeps in.

Lag, slightly. Restart? Not yet.

From reading some forums it seems there are some software fixes that people want, how is the support from Nokia?
So far, I hadn't needed them. The fix for data came the same day I bought the phone - or close enough. And so far, no probs.

I hope Lumia 900 wont be the next Nokia N900, I mean the way Nokia just left it without any updates and support.
I doubt it, but at the same time, it is a Nokia phone. Let's see if they've learned after dropping the N900 and N9 so damn quickly.

Hope my answers help. I'm a bit honest, can't say that my experience has been perfect on WP7.

Originally Posted by optimistprime View Post
Wow...I'm surprised you like it. I just got the cyan lumia 900 a week ago and it feels like an abortion. The size is nice, but even the screen withthat weird bezel thing around it makes me go back to my n9. I Use the lumia for xbox live mostly. And the camera seems inferior too.
I like it as a phone. That bezel thing... yeah man. I miss the N9's rounded screen. Love that feel on the screen.

Camera seems better in low-light to me than the N9. Less noise man... much less noise.

I finally put a Lumia 900 in my hand the other day (they have them at Target), and I can't understand why they would change the size from the Lumia 800. Until Microsoft okays an HD screen (WP8?), there's no reason the phone should be this big.

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I finally put a Lumia 900 in my hand the other day (they have them at Target), and I can't understand why they would change the size from the Lumia 800. Until Microsoft okays an HD screen (WP8?), there's no reason the phone should be this big.
I like the size, hate the resolution. I just don't like smaller screens - the N9 was the lower limit of what I'd consider a comfortable sized screen for me.

Big hands sorta dictate that preference.

For some dumb reason, I just think a marketing weenie decided the N9/Lumia 800 was too small for America. I too have big hands, but when was the last time you saw a smartphone company increase the size of a screen without increasing the resolution. I think the Lumia 800 is a cool device (just installed the Nokia City Lens beta), but this 800x480 screen thing is just the kind of fail that Microsoft brings to the table. In their own words: "Really!"

I don't know, maybe the Nokia/Microsoft U.S. alliance decided to go after Android instead of Apple. Maybe a large Lumia 800 looks better next to the large high-end Android phones, because it sure doesn't look like a competitor to an iPhone.

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
For some dumb reason, I just think a marketing weenie decided the N9/Lumia 800 was too small for America. I too have big hands, but when was the last time you saw a smartphone company increase the size of a screen without increasing the resolution. I think the Lumia 800 is a cool device (just installed the Nokia City Lens beta), but this 800x480 screen thing is just the kind of fail that Microsoft brings to the table. In their own words: "Really!"
I probably am on Microsoft's intergalactic **** list, but I've written to them countless times about how I dislike their 800x480 on damn near 5 inch screens enough times to the point where I'm very sure they delete my e-mails automatically.

Makes zero sense to me... gimme a 4.3 inch with 720p resolution. I'd shut up.

I don't know, maybe the Nokia/Microsoft U.S. alliance decided to go after Android instead of Apple. Maybe a large Lumia 800 looks better next to the large high-end Android phones, because it sure doesn't look like a competitor to an iPhone.
Couldn't tell you the reasoning. I just know that the resolution is a major issue for me. Like the screen size, don't like the resolution. But... I can live with it.

Tags
promises, windows phone