Active Topics

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Just use ad-hoc wireless network - unlike androids, Maemo doesn't have any problems with them (except for ad-hoc being power-hog, but that's not problem of Maemo, but specification of ad-hoc itself).

Unless you're using any recent android version for that 2nd device - in such case, you're screwed, as google in its eternal wisdom decided, that users won't be able to do ad-hoc in android, "because". Then, using such poorly designed and written OS, you're doomed to utilize it only over infrastructure wifi - no matter, if you want to access N900, wireless HD, or whatever.

/Estel
not totally accurate - there is a mod that can be installed that allows for ad hoc connection, and there is also a workaround - overwriting "wpa_supplicant" module.

The Following User Says Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
I was wondering could I use Tinysmb or some commandline magick to share the contents of a folder in N900 to my Ipad (disclaimer: got it as a gift) throug bluetooth interface. I have currently set up the system, so that when I enable bluetooth connection from Ipad to my N900 it automatically opens gprs connection and shares the internet access to the Ipad. As default the Tinysmb uses wifi interface, but could it be hacked to use BT or is there any other ways to "easily and reliably" to do this?

The Following User Says Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post:
Actually it was quite easy. I found that somebody had compiled the real smb to the repos, so I downloaded and installed it with apt-get, and enabled the smb.conf.min profile and started it. Immediately after I got the bluetooth connection from Ipad, I could read and write to the contents of MyDocs. Mission accomplished. The speed was acceptable for small sized powerpoints and excel sheet.

I think the smb is by default enabled for all interfaces (I didn't specify it to the pan-interface), so effectively I knocked down the whole wall, when I actually needed only a door, so I just now have to build the wall back around the required door and specify the smb to serve only the bluetooth-pan interface and in special circumstances (in my home and office network) to the Wlan.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post: