Active Topics

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Lets spend the money on re-registering amiga trademark,
Nobody is saying we should renew trademarks for everything on the planet. The only things being discussed are the existing TM rights transferred to us from Nokia, and if/how we should handle renewing them.

To be 100% clear, I'm not asking anyone to take out loans to do this. If you're choosing between paying your rent or chipping in for TM renewal, you need to stop and get your life in order. Nobody is going to die or go homeless if this doesn't get renewed. I clearly said, if we can get the renewals funded in time, it seems like a reasonable thing to do to help protect the community. If we can't, it's simply a risk that we'll have to take.

Your claim that people are "fear mongering" to take money from "broke" people here and "blow it on lawyers" is frankly insulting. As if we have nothing better to do with our time then beg for money so we can just "throw it away". How would than benefit anyone involved? What would the motivation be for anyone to do that?

I also love how you state you're not a lawyer, but then insist there's "no way we could lose a case", where one brought against us down the road.

Since you seem to have missed the point: I'm not talking about "losing" a case. I'm talking about the price tag involved in DEFENDING our rights to keep the domain and/or our existing look/branding IF we are sued later. Having a current registration turns that defense from being a case where we'd have to hire a lawyer, to a case most lawyers would take on for "free".

Have you ever been in a court case involving a large company? I have, and I can tell you they're not cheep. Even after "winning" in court, the appeals and collection process could drag on for years. I've seen profitable companies, with much deeper pockets than this community, go bankrupt from the cost of legal representation, even after "winning" their case in court.

There are several examples of people winning cases, and going bankrupt from legal expenses. Even small companies, dealing with TM. And even if you 'win", you may not always get the award granted by the court to pay your fees. And least one thinks this is just a US issue, even European countries have this issue.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Thanks, not sure how insulted you feel if this was from the start paraded as one of those infra funding efforts, while as you admit it is not a death or life matter, think about the users who posted 'am in shitty financial situation, but still chipped in' maybe some perspective is in order (and transparency of risks vs gains)

edit: btw, do you have a single TM case against a community or forum? commercial products: YES, resounding YES, this is what TM is for. But bringing those when our situation is totally different??? Why even bother? (as mentioned earlier, WORST case scenario is we go to talk.mer.org (unless mer TM is already in use, haven't checked), so no millions we need to spend later on lawyers, even in worst case scenario, unlike the guy who owes 800 bucks for taking police to the court)

Last edited by szopin; 2015-07-14 at 19:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
I'm not talking about "losing" a case. I'm talking about the price tag involved in DEFENDING our rights to keep the domain and/or our existing look/branding IF we are sued later. Having a current registration turns that defense from being a case where we'd have to hire a lawyer, to a case most lawyers would take on for "free.
THIS is what it's all about. It is not about stopping the Chinese duck company.
Since we can't afford and therefore want to avoid any lawyers or legal disputes, this is our best insurance. Proud comes gratis...

szopin, got your point, thanks.
Frankly, to me, you're a pita in the community topics... Move on if you don't like the idea, go donate to "the user who posted 'am in shitty financial situation'" instead and feel good about it. But if Woody thinks donating 200,- € for TM is the right thing - isn't that honorable too?

Here's something really worth complaining about...
Current Maemo Community Council member

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Win7Mac For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Win7Mac View Post
Frankly, to me, you're a pita...
A quote to live by

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Here's the donation state as of today:
Code:
mysql> 
mysql> select date, account, total_amount, currency from all_donations order by date;
+------------+---------------+--------------+----------+
| date       | account       | total_amount | currency |
| 2015-07-01 | PayPal        |         9.46 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-01 | PayPal        |           10 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-01 | PayPal        |           10 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-01 | PayPal        |           15 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-01 | Deutsche Bank |        26.82 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-02 | Deutsche Bank |          100 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-02 | PayPal        |        47.05 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-02 | PayPal        |        19.27 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-03 | PayPal        |           25 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-03 | Deutsche Bank |          100 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-03 | Deutsche Bank |           50 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-04 | PayPal        |           20 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-05 | PayPal        |           20 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-06 | PayPal        |          150 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-06 | Deutsche Bank |           50 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-07 | PayPal        |           25 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-07 | PayPal        |           20 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-08 | PayPal        |           20 | CAD      |
| 2015-07-08 | PayPal        |         95.9 | GBP      |
| 2015-07-08 | Deutsche Bank |           20 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-08 | Deutsche Bank |          200 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-10 | Deutsche Bank |           20 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-10 | Deutsche Bank |           20 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-10 | PayPal        |        40.49 | PLN      |
| 2015-07-10 | PayPal        |           40 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-13 | PayPal        |           30 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-13 | Deutsche Bank |           20 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-15 | Deutsche Bank |          100 | EUR      |
| 2015-07-16 | Deutsche Bank |           20 | EUR      |
29 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select sum(total_amount * exchange_rate) as calculated from all_donations;
+--------------------+
| calculated         |
+--------------------+
| 1321.0700000021802 |
+--------------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Still no point in wasting money on dead platform.
You know what? You are right. Don't. In fact, what are you doing here at all? On a dead platform's discussion forum, that is? The platform that you consider alive and that you care about has its own forum, does it not?

As far as I am concerned, Maemo is very much alive. More so than e.g. Sailfish, which may have looked promising two years ago but has so far failed to deliver on that promise.

I care about Maemo and this community. Which is why I put my money where my mouth is, within my meagre limits, and I will put more when I get paid in August. If you do not feel like it, fine. No one is forcing you. Howgh!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
Not a lawyer, just woody and endsormeans bring up examples from patent cases, we have tons of dead trademarks (amiga, atari, c64, zx spectrum... you name it) and communities that have grown around them and not a single case of problems coming to life because a community of enthusiasts is using a trademark that was re-registered/repurposed.
That isn't quite true. Atari for instance, is a currently owned trademark, and that company *did* go after several sites and other IP that they own and ask them to be shutdown or renamed.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...-has-left.aspx

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/18/824...-4-jeff-minter

So, it is not a far-fetched scenario that a presumably long-dead brand sold to a new owner decides to exert its trademarks.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Just a bump.
Current status is below 1400€.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
ähhh, have I missed something? I thought we nee 900€, which we already have.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
ähhh, have I missed something? I thought we nee 900€, which we already have.
Make that 2.120 €.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo, trademark