Posts: 176 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Mars
ok still i do miss my old n900 i have a unicorn n9 aswell want it to have some good company.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Rota Land
I do agree its getting a bit harder to find. i can't find new ones in the stores either. I usually find some for sale online in the 300-400 range (in usd)
anyone want to swap with their iphone4 for an n900? :P

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I wouldn't get it. The USB port will fall out. Fell out on 2 of mine

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by blumma View Post
I'm also thinking about buying a N900

But i'm Not sure if the App store is enough for me. I'm not an appjunkie, but i Need a Good Twitter App, a Navigation App. would be nice. But not necessary.
I've got my old N900 for sale right now.

Normally the only voice guided GPS nav program for Maemo5, Sygic Mobile Maps, is a paid commercial app (with flaky availability).

But I've got that pre-installed on this N900. Just FYI.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82969

For anyone that is interested here is one on sale now. quite cheep too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nokia-N-Seri...item2a2819b8be

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netehrlands
I ordered 2 units from: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Nokia-N9...-/290783564186
- 1july'12 (USD 190) and 1 Sept'12 (USD 150, with lots of haggling, but being Dutch , No problems - the units state to be fabricated in Finland, my 1st unit, came from Turkey, which died in July12 after 33months of faithfull duty, because of the dreaded Micro-USB problem, was repaired in UK (I am in Holland) came back, worked a week and then died permanently of the USB problem.
Meanwhile the 2 units are updated to 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo6 and run on a daily basis with no other than brilliant performance with the Power Kernel, than experienced on my defunct no 1 original unit.

To bypass the Micro-usb problems I am using 3 sets of BL-5J -batteries, swopping them daily each time my battery indicator goes from green to red. Bought the simple loader for the BL-5J in China for some USD 10 all-in, sent by Post.
In this manner I hardly use the USB cable, only to access my docs, back-ups, etc.

I think these are not refurbished units, but probably units built from spareparts readily available from umpteen internet suppliers, in China.
Most probably from the very factories that supply Nokia as well.
Just my 2 cents of experience...

The supplier Cellphoneforever is most communicative and replies to mails send to them, unlike the great number of Ebay scum suppliers!
Also check their Ebay record, which they do everything for to maintain at the amazing high level.

Last edited by jlnh; 2013-01-25 at 10:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to jlnh For This Useful Post:
What about the repositories now?

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
What about the repositories now?
Temporary mirrors are present and the repos are down because of traffic and firewall issues... Its not down because they are disappearing

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Temporary mirrors are present and the repos are down because of traffic and firewall issues... Its not down because they are disappearing
Keyword: temporary

It'll never be "official" again in the future, or sanctioned and continually developed and updated by Nokia. That's a blessing and a curse in itself.

It tethers the new purchase to this forum, wherein there's no guarantee this place will be here in the near future since it's now privately funded. And it also means no further updates unless somebody takes the initiative and stuff like Skype, an integral part of the N900 experience, might have some problems in the very near future if Microsoft continues down the path they're going to replace their Live messaging with Skype and integrating the two logins. To my knowledge, that's not been implemented on the N900.

I bring these things up not for the savvy users, most of us should be fine. But with the prices dropping on the N900, I shudder to think that a nice N900 will fall into the hands of somebody that thinks it'll be the messaging Mecca of all smartphones and everything should "just work" and they'll have access to every app that their iPhone and Android owning peers have access to.

So informing buyers should be the first case. It's not all peaches and perfect right now around the N900 nor this forum/repositories. But it's not all bad either.

That's my take. Educating people should be the first prerogative of this place and the members.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I shudder to think that a nice N900 will fall into the hands of somebody that thinks it'll be the messaging Mecca of all smartphones and everything should "just work" and they'll have access to every app that their iPhone and Android owning peers have access to.
I shudder to think anyone would expect a 3+ year old device to do any of that, frankly. Even original iPhones can't do everything they did before, with the changes that have happened and the lack of updates for the original model(s). Anyone expecting ANY device to continue to work with and support dynamically changing systems years later is likely in for a rude shock.