Active Topics

Actually, Tiger Direct in Canada has it on sale for $220 and 'In Stock'. Having said that, I'm sure it is near end-of-life. I would think they will try and get people to the N810 and of course WiMax so they don't have a lot of devices that look 'almost' the same. No proof but speculation...

C

Edit: my price doesn't include shipping - misread a previous post...

Last edited by cybernut; 2008-04-27 at 19:24.

Originally Posted by BoredOOMM View Post
I wondered if the $199.99 blowout with free shipping at Dell was a clearance to discontinue.....Dell is not in stock and some links are gone.

Per GeraldKo's link- $228.99 at Buy.com

TigerDirect.com has them in Stock for $228.46 after shipping.

How long does it take Buy.com to ship?
I forgot Amazon has links back to Tiger Direct.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
anyways, it's still to early to get alarmed: if the user response is so negative after cutting n800 PRODUCTION (after 1.5years), they would most probably restart producing it.

otherwise :
1) Diablo (maemo 4.1/5 - yet undetermined) WILL be available for the n800 - the support is still there AT LEAST until july (n810W release date), and even more (Diablo will have lasting support)
2) they may already have a successor in development - we just don't know it yet.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by BoredOOMM View Post

How long does it take Buy.com to ship?
Even with Free Shipping I find that they usually ship within two or three days. But for not too much of an extra charge they expedite. I've had nothing but positive experiences with buy.com.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by iliaden View Post
2) they may already have a successor in development - we just don't know it yet.
I imagine they can make a significantly lighter device with the same capabilities as the N800 now, and probably that translates into "cheaper to manufacture."

So I hope they do have a successor in the pipeline. Having variant models makes sense to me.

Originally Posted by iliaden View Post
anyways, it's still to early to get alarmed: if the user response is so negative after cutting n800 PRODUCTION (after 1.5years), they would most probably restart producing it.

otherwise :
1) Diablo (maemo 4.1/5 - yet undetermined) WILL be available for the n800 - the support is still there AT LEAST until july (n810W release date), and even more (Diablo will have lasting support)

I hope it means 810's will drop next!
I would opt for an 810 for $249 range!

With the N810 Wimax on the way, I expect the N800 to be discontinued.

The n810w is not a replacement for the n800. At all.

If anything, it would suggest that the n800 will be around even longer, since now they have a brand new tablet that they need to support for at least another year or two. Since the 800, 810, and 810w are all virtually identical with the exception of GPS/wimax, there is no reason for them to discontinue the 800. If they had another device in the works with OMAP 3 or something, they would not have released the 810w and waited to make a n900 WiMax Edition instead.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by drizek View Post
If they had another device in the works with OMAP 3 or something, they would not have released the 810w and waited to make a n900 WiMax Edition instead.
There's a presentation showing that work on a new device starts one year before it is announced. If they don't have another device in the works now, it means we will not see a new model until mid-2009. Given the N810 was announced 2007 und the WiMAX Edition is not really a new device, I assume we will see something new sooner - which in turn means they work on it right now.

Last edited by benny1967; 2008-04-28 at 07:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
i'm sure nextgen tablet (omap3) is in the works, even if it will not be shipped anytime soon.

however, i'm a little bit surprised, dropping of n800, unless they want to cut price of n810. i found it good to have 2 options, depending on user preferences. and the price of n800 was sweet.

but they may have decided, that (slide-out) keyboard is the future, just like palm (visor) decided for treo years ago (they had multiple versions, but later they kept only one model with keyboard).