Notices

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
This version should no longer be used, newer versions are available, please PM me for links to the latest build.

244MB - 750MB+ uncompressed, + you will need room for OS. Not tested with NEW OS updated yesterday.

Install Instructions:

You will need
http://penguinbait.com/tar
http://penguinbait.com/bzip2

Must be in root.
cd /
tar jxvf /path/to/kde/file.tar.bz2

Suggested change
vi /etc/init.d/af-services

Change this line.
echo 4 > /proc/sys/kernel/pty/max
to
echo 14 > /proc/sys/kernel/pty/max
or
echo 24 > /proc/sys/kernel/pty/max

This allows you to open more sessions to the n800 either xterm or ssh. it controls how many pty's can be allocated. If you do not make this change, and you have problems with xterm not openening new terminals, or ssh not fully logging in, failing with unable to allocate pty, this is your problem. I was going to include the changed file in the OS but the new version of the OS was posted, and I was not sure if the file was the same.
This has not been tested by me in the new OS, let me know if you have it working
-----------------------

NOTE, the first time you boot it, using fresh flash, your menus icons inside Hildon will be all screwed up, rebooting will fix this, its because of an environment variable used for Menus. It may cause other problems inside hildon, it has not been extensivly tested. If you click where the menu icon is you can launch KDE without rebooting. You can not switch back to hildon from KDE, you must reboot. Have fun, if you get anything working let me know how to do it also (THIS IS AN ORDER:-) I know of no pre-req software on the N800, fresh flash is all thats needed. You should be able to go over openbox, but I have not tested, so if it screws something up, sorry?

I Suggest making KDE its own partition and playing with it. It is very useable, I never got kdepim to compile, so ther is no email application. webmail works great though.

Thanks to Nalim
http://www.kwik.cz/n800/KDE356FINAL1.tar.bz2

Thanks to YOU
Your link here

You can still PM me or email me contrib@penguinbait.com to get a link from me, but I am queuing 1 at a time, queue is currently empty

Note if you want to setup KDE from scratch (desktop settings), you can remove or rename /home/user/.kde This is where the panel gets the keyboard icon, you can re-add it yourself /usr/local/bin/keyboard.sh The best way to setup is to use VNC server and you can right click. The ".directory" file on the desktop, I changed a setting somewhere to show system or hidden files and now I can not figure out how to turn in off. You can delete it but it will come back on startup. anyway, let me know if you figure out how to turn it back off.

Please post screenshots (ksnapshot under graphics menu), videos, howto's, here is your opportunity to post things nobody has ever seen before. I have not even used KDE since like when 2.0 was new, but I always liked it over gnome, personally. Anyway there are tons of things you can do with all the applications in here. I am very interested in finding out what you can get working. Have fun!

I seriously look forward to the time when we allocate 2GB for our OS and we truly have a suite of application to use. I think this is a great proof of concept and I pray enough of you screem for this that maemo.org/nokia may jump on board and do some development. With the very cheap price of 8GB cards and 2 slots, 2GB for OS is very reasonable, a price I would gladly pay.

PM me if you can provide a link

Last edited by penguinbait; 2007-12-05 at 19:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Here are a couple of screenshots from Ksnapshot...

post a .torrent of it and we can all help with your outbound bandwidth limitation.

Originally Posted by mzandrew View Post
post a .torrent of it and we can all help with your outbound bandwidth limitation.

You may download it and make one yourself if you like. I do not use bittorrent.

Sorry, I am relying on the community to get it out there, I already have a copy

You can use the above link or PM me or email me for a link.

FYI, I have tested this on the latest OS, and it all seems good. I also loaded new OS on flash/kernel/initfs, bootmenu, and I was able to boot up my older versions of the OS with the newer versions kernel initfs, KDE also worked under this condition.

I had an issue when booting KDE the first time my n800 rebooted, not really sure what happened. It started up after that and worked fine after that?

I tried running new flash rootfs on old kernel and initfs and it does not work.

So there is no reason not to upgrade if you want to...

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
FYI, I have tested this on the latest OS, and it all seems good. I also loaded new OS on flash/kernel/initfs, bootmenu, and I was able to boot up my older versions of the OS with the newer versions kernel initfs, KDE also worked under this condition.

I had an issue when booting KDE the first time my n800 rebooted, not really sure what happened. It started up after that and worked fine after that?

I tried running new flash rootfs on old kernel and initfs and it does not work.

So there is no reason not to upgrade if you want to...
I tried it and everything seems to be loading until I get a crash during the KDE panel init. It gives me a desktop but no 'K' panel with desktop chooser/etc. Any ideas? I tried rebooting and so forth but no dice.

Larry

Originally Posted by lbattraw View Post
I tried it and everything seems to be loading until I get a crash during the KDE panel init. It gives me a desktop but no 'K' panel with desktop chooser/etc. Any ideas? I tried rebooting and so forth but no dice.

Larry
This is in NEW OS? Do you have anything installed? I only installed xterm and ssh, also python, but that was for ROX, ROX was installed also though?

You know what, try this, maybe its what fixed mine? After crash and reboot, I ssh to n800, as user "user" run stopmaemo

If you want to capture all the output in case it crashes again, run

stopmaemo >out 2> eout

When I ran it that way I am wondering if that fixed something, though I can not imagine what? Mine definetly crashed once, I want to say maybe even twice, but after I started it the third time like this it worked consistently after that, I thought it was a fluke, I guess I should do some more testing.

Let me know what happens? If all that fails you could try moving /home/user/.kde /home/user/.kde-backup

This will remove the small amount of customization I added. Most importantly the onscreen keyboard shortcut. You can create you own, by pointing to /usr/local/bin/keyboard.sh

Last edited by penguinbait; 2007-03-26 at 16:03.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
This is in NEW OS? Do you have anything installed? I only installed xterm and ssh, also python, but that was for ROX, ROX was installed also though?

You know what, try this, maybe its what fixed mine? After crash and reboot, I ssh to n800, as user "user" run stopmaemo

If you want to capture all the output in case it crashes again, run

stopmaemo >out 2> eout

When I ran it that way I am wondering if that fixed something, though I can not imagine what? Mine definetly crashed once, I want to say maybe even twice, but after I started it the third time like this it worked consistently after that, I thought it was a fluke, I guess I should do some more testing.

Let me know what happens? If all that fails you could try moving /home/user/.kde /home/user/.kde-backup

This will remove the small amount of customization I added. Most importantly the onscreen keyboard shortcut. You can create you own, by pointing to /usr/local/bin/keyboard.sh
I'm using this with the new version of the OS and I have a fair number of things installed; if you're interested I'll send you the dpkg -l output. I never had ROX installed as I reflashed for the new OS, reinstalled a few things, then copied to SD and set up bootmenu.
I found out what's causing it to fail-- the af-services script never stops and so matchbox wm is still running. Noticed when I tried dragging something the window went transparent instead of moving :-( I'll post the error log although I didn't see anything specifically wrong. Once I ran /etc/init.d/af-services stop; kwin & ; kicker & it all started up. I apologize for the obnoxiously large log although I had to truncate it before it would let me post it.

Larry

xset: bad font path element (#60), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax
xset: bad font path element (#60), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax
startkde: Starting up...
ksplash: Inactive pixmap: /usr/local/kde/share/apps/ksplash/Themes/Default/splash_inactive_bar.png
ksplash: Active pixmap: /usr/local/kde/share/apps/ksplash/Themes/Default/splash_active_bar.png
kdeinit: Launched DCOPServer, pid = 1377 result = 0
DCOP: register 'anonymous-1372' -> number of clients is now 1
DCOP: register 'anonymous-1377' -> number of clients is now 2
DCOP: 'anonymous-1372' now known as 'ksplash'
DCOP: unregister 'anonymous-1377'
kdeinit: Launched KLauncher, pid = 1382 result = 0
DCOP: register 'klauncher' -> number of clients is now 2
kdeinit: opened connection to :0.0
DCOP: new daemon klauncher
kdeinit: Launched KDED, pid = 1383 result = 0
DCOP: register 'kded' -> number of clients is now 2
DCOP: unregister 'kded'
DCOP: register 'kded' -> number of clients is now 2
DCOP: register 'anonymous-1383' -> number of clients is now 3
kio (KDirWatch): Available methods: Stat, Inotify
kio (KLauncher): KLauncher: Got kdeinit_exec_wait('kbuildsycoca', ...)
kdeinit: Got EXT_EXEC 'kbuildsycoca' from launcher.
kio (KLauncher): kbuildsycoca (pid 1385) up and running.
DCOP: register 'kbuildsycoca' -> number of clients is now 4
kbuildsycoca running...
DCOP: register 'anonymous-1385' -> number of clients is now 5
kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from /var/tmp/kdecache-user/ksycoca
kio (KSycoca): Could not open ksycoca
kbuildsycoca: Recreating ksycoca file (/var/tmp/kdecache-user/ksycoca, version 93)
kbuildsycoca: VFolderMenu::mergeFile: /usr/local/kde/etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/kde-essential.menu
kbuildsycoca: VFolderMenu::mergeFile: /usr/local/kde/etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/kde-multimedia-music.menu
kbuildsycoca: VFolderMenu::mergeFile: /usr/local/kde/etc/xdg/menus/kde-settings.menu
kbuildsycoca: VFolderMenu::mergeFile: /usr/local/kde/etc/xdg/menus/kde-information.menu
kbuildsycoca: Directory and kde-information.directory requires combining!
kbuildsycoca: VFolderMenu::mergeFile: /usr/local/kde/etc/xdg/menus/kde-screensavers.menu
kbuildsycoca: Directory and kde-system-screensavers.directory requires combining!
kbuildsycoca: Menu applications-kmenuedit.menu not found.
kbuildsycoca: Processing KDE Legacy dirs for <KDE>
kbuildsycoca: processKDELegacyDirs()
kbuildsycoca: Looking up applications under /usr/local/kde/share/applications/
kbuildsycoca: Looking up applications under /usr/local/kde/share/applications/kde/
kbuildsycoca: Moving Settings/Information to Information
kio (KSycoca): ERROR: No database available!
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/kde/share/applications/kde/ark.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-tbz2'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'ark_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-tbz2'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/kde/share/applications/kde/kvoctrain.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-kvoctrain'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/kde/share/applications/kde/kvoctrain.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-kvtml'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kcertpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/binary-certificate'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/kde/share/applications/kde/kmid.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/midi'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-fortran'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'knotify.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KNotify'
DCOP: unregister 'anonymous-1385'
DCOP: unregister 'kbuildsycoca'
kdeinit: PID 1385 terminated.
kio (KDirWatch): Added Dir /home/user/.kde/share/servicetypes [KDirWatch-1]
kio (KDirWatch): Added Dir /usr/local/kde/share/servicetypes [KDirWatch-1]
kio (KDirWatch): Added Dir /usr/local/kde/share/servicetypes/kmilo [KDirWatch-1]
kio (KDirWatch): Added Dir /home/user/.kde/share/mimelnk [KDirWatch-1]
kio (KDirWatch): Added Dir /usr/local/kde/share/mimelnk [KDirWatch-1]
kio (KDirWatch): Added Dir /usr/local/kde/share/mimelnk/application [KDirWatch-1]
kio (KDirWatch): Added Dir /usr/local/kde/share/mimelnk/text [KDirWatch-1]
kio (KDirWatch): Added Dir /usr/local/kde/share/mimelnk/audio [KDirWatch-1]
kio (KDirWatch): Added Dir /usr/local/kde/share/mimelnk/video [KDirWatch-1]
kio (KDirWatch): Added Dir /usr/local/kde/share/mimelnk/image [KDirWatch-1]
kio (KDirWatch): Added Dir /usr/local/kde/share/mimelnk/inode [KDirWatch-1]
kio (KDirWatch): Added Dir /usr/local/kde/share/mimelnk/message [KDirWatch-1]
kio (KDirWatch): Added Dir /usr/local/kde/share/mimelnk/multipart

I wonder if it is a pty problem, update you pty numbers from 4 in /etc/init.d/af-services, as I menutioned in the earlier post, see if that fixes it.

Perhaps no pty's are available, try this and let me know, if this fixes it.

Suggested change
vi /etc/init.d/af-services

Change this line.
echo 4 > /proc/sys/kernel/pty/max
to
echo 14 > /proc/sys/kernel/pty/max
or
echo 24 > /proc/sys/kernel/pty/max

Although I dislike KDE, and have therefore never become thoroughly familiar with it (as I'd preferred GNOME when I'd wanted and needed a full-service distro), I've gone ahead and loaded this KDE hack on my N800. I have not upgraded the operating system, and I've installed KDE on a 2gb card in the external slot. (I have OPEN-ROX on the internal slot.) I find the 2gb card is so far allowing me plenty of memory space. However, I also encountered the same crash during the KDE panel init, even upon repeated rebootings and running the stopmaemo. I had also previously modified the af-services file. Other than that, my KDE installation seems to still have some limited functionality, and I will be watching this thread closely to see what you more experienced Linux hands are able to resolve. I regret that my expertise does not go far enough for me to be able to lend a helping hand. I will wait expectantly though on the sidelines. Many thanks again for your efforts.