Notices

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by Astron View Post
Key Fn too does not work for me on keyboard N810 and xkbd works incorrectly. No combinations of keys for a character set help: / ect. How to force hardware keyboard N810 or xkbd to work normally? A device: Nokia N810, Diablo 5.2008.43-7 PS. Sorry for my English. I write through the translator.
The user Addison put in a lot of time in getting xkbd to work well--post #248 in this thread is a key one (also look at Addison's prior posts in the preceding pages).

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Better versions can be found here:
Keyboard Collections

Just unzip the keyboard folder to your memory card.

Edit this file to your preferred keyboard layout:
/usr/bin/dosboxkbd

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Hi there, just finished getting DOSBox up, and
going through this thread and the "Games that work well..." and want to say thanks to everyone who's contributed to this project thus far.

I think it definately could use a wiki. Any chance getting one setup on the DOSBox port site?

I've figured out the mouse tweaks, and graphics tweaks so far, but any idea about sound tweaks?

I'll try to contribute some entries into RubyBox
http://nakkiboso.com/rbox.php

Thanks again, everyone.

Q: Is Rubybox opening /usr/bin/dosboxkbd ?

It would be a great feature for Rubybox if we could custom call a kbd, so we could create specialized keyboards for certain games.

The Following User Says Thank You to yukky For This Useful Post:
Rubybox does not let you change the actual XKBD keyboard you can use as far as I know. However you can change in RubyBox how your keyboard is mapped. I pick my favorite Addison XKBD keyboard file to always use, and then use a custom key mapper file based on the game (you can change which mapper file to use in the Advanced Settings section of RubyBox). For example, I created a custom mapper file called mappercsa.txt that works well with many old DOS games since it provides easy access to Alt, Ctrl, and Space keys on my N800, and uses certain function keys on the Addison keyboard for DosBox functions (such as full screen toggle, cycle up and down, and exit out of game). Seems to work great for me.

Last edited by Pushwall; 2009-01-09 at 13:30.

Originally Posted by yukky View Post
Q: Is Rubybox opening /usr/bin/dosboxkbd ?

It would be a great feature for Rubybox if we could custom call a kbd, so we could create specialized keyboards for certain games.
This would be an easy feature to add. Ruby should hit extras soon, so I could put RubyBox there too (if Arnims does the same for his dosbox). How would you guys like this implemented? RubyBox could search for keyboard layouts from a certain directory and let you choose one for each game for example.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ukki View Post
This would be an easy feature to add. Ruby should hit extras soon, so I could put RubyBox there too (if Arnims does the same for his dosbox). How would you guys like this implemented? RubyBox could search for keyboard layouts from a certain directory and let you choose one for each game for example.
Wow ukki that would be great! Thanks too yukky for suggesting it. I like that idea of putting all the keyboard layouts in a directory and picking which one to use. Of course, also having a default keyboard layout to use without having to choose each time would be nice too. Thanks ukki!!

Originally Posted by Pushwall View Post
Wow ukki that would be great! Thanks too yukky for suggesting it. I like that idea of putting all the keyboard layouts in a directory and picking which one to use. Of course, also having a default keyboard layout to use without having to choose each time would be nice too. Thanks ukki!!
Yes, we should bundle the best by default and default to that. Should we do the same for the mapper -files? It would then just alter the dosbox parameter, but would save you the trouble of editing it by hand. Maybe bundle the best suited for each tablet?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ukki View Post
Yes, we should bundle the best by default and default to that. Should we do the same for the mapper -files? It would then just alter the dosbox parameter, but would save you the trouble of editing it by hand. Maybe bundle the best suited for each tablet?
Excellent thought. Right now I'm always editing the mapper file parameter to my favorite one (which isn't the DosBox default) everytime I add a new game. That would make adding new games so much easier.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Heya fellas!

Well, the only game I really found that needed a different keyboard besides the default version was the one made for Monopoly.

So maybe have a feature where you can select two possible keyboard layouts instead of just one? Meaning, one for each side of the screen if needed.

I don't know, just a thought I wanted to throw in.

But yeah, I really like this idea.

Oh, and if anyone needs a special layout for a game or application, just post a request.

I might have some time before things start getting busy for me to quickly make good on any special requests that are made.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post: