Notices

Posts: 597 | Thanked: 490 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by hschmitt View Post
Hi,

I build a obexd 0.29 version with a commit reverted, which might bring pc-suite support back: http://git.kernel.org/?p=bluetooth/o...a545cc41dd382t . Since I'm based on linux, I cannot test it.
Attached is the obexd and the patch. Maybe someone gives it a try and posts the resulting /var/log/syslog
Thanks again for the updated obex (already updated the summary ;-) ) and also for adding the link to the wiki page (Jarmo2 had also suggested to use the wiki as project documentation, but it was painfully slow recently so we skipped it so far. But I think it would be a good idea to move the summary soon - donīt want to update this Post #1 forever ) .

About your new obexd:
In order to test this properly I wanted an environment with working PC Suite connection to begin with.
Thus I downgraded my N900 to original state and reconnected it to my newly installed Win7 laptop - just to realize Win7 is missing some Bluetooth drivers for N900 :
Device Manager lists 2 "Peripheral Bluetooth" devices as unknown and in Bluetooth Devices -> N900 -> Properties -> Services both "Filetransfer (obex)" and "Objectpush (obex)" are unchecked.
So far I was not able to find those missing drivers/solve this problem or get PC Suite to work via Bluetooth even with original obex
Therefore I guess I am not able to help testing PC Suite connection via Bluetooth at the moment

However, USB Cable connection was working after downgrade, but
when reconnecting with your new obexd PC Suite says "Windows now installs PC Connectivity Cable Drivers, please wait.." and stays like that forever

How can I give you some debugging information?
/var/log/syslog does not exist on my N900...

Edit: Stupid me, of course I dont have syslog - forgot to install sysklogd
Ok, installed syslogd and restarted obex with this command (as posted by mirakles):
Code:
/usr/lib/obex/obexd --debug --opp --ftp --pcsuite --pbap --symlinks --root .obex-root --root-setup /usr/bin/obex-root-setup --capability !/usr/bin/gen-obex-capability.sh
Guess what??? IT WORKS!!!

Last edited by Reflektorfalke; 2010-07-28 at 20:09.

Ok, I did some more testing on hschmitt`s new obex...

PC Suite USB connection works with this start command:
Code:
/usr/lib/obex/obexd --debug --opp --ftp --pcsuite --pbap --symlinks --root .obex-root --root-setup /usr/bin/obex-root-setup --capability !/usr/bin/gen-obex-capability.sh
but not anymore after reboot with start command from /usr/share/dbus-1/services/obexd.service:
Code:
/usr/lib/obex/obexd --nodaemon --opp --ftp --pcsuite --pbap --symlinks --root .obex-root --root-setup /usr/bin/obex-root-setup
Also tested it with my car:

With the first command the transfer starts, but seems to go on forever and nothing happens.

With the second command it looks like the problem of missing CLRF as described here is back.

Let me know what you think is the best way to proceed and for which test case you need logs or dumps...

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 101 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
I think the most important aspect is to make sure pcsuite connection works fine with the obexd from hschmitt.

As he wrote, it is just a plain obexd from the upstream repository with a specific upstream patched reverted.

If pcsuite works fine with this, the other branches that aim for proper PBAP and IrMC support can then incorparete thes reverted patch, making a 'complete' obexd for the n900 users.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mirakels For This Useful Post:
ho do you try to start this obexd service? If i give this command
Code:
/usr/lib/obex/obexd --nodaemon --opp --ftp --pcsuite --pbap --symlinks --root .obex-root --root-setup /usr/bin/obex-root-setup
it says to me "Cant register with session bus". i am under root.
Also from where gets this original obexd started? i mean after reboot it stills runs for me without pbap, maybe i should change it from somewhere else.

Originally Posted by mirakels View Post
I think the most important aspect is to make sure pcsuite connection works fine with the obexd from hschmitt.
Ok, attached 2 syslog excerpts, the first shows a PC Suite connect attempt with hschmitts obexd started with default command and the second one with debug start command.
As before, first attempt resulted in the endless "installing driver" message, second one was successful!
Attached Files
File Type: zip syslog.zip (5.9 KB, 121 views)

the problem is not the --debug or --nodeamon switches.
The second versions also ommits the --capability switch (and its argument).
Apperantly the capabilitties are needed by pc-suite. I guess it tells pc-suit all the relevant info about your n900 (serial number, software version etc. )

Just try to run the /usr/bin/gen-obex-capability.sh script from an x-terminal and see for yourself what info will be passed

The Following User Says Thank You to mirakels For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by liiver View Post
ho do you try to start this obexd service? If i give this command
Code:
it says to me "Cant register with session bus". i am under root.
Also from where gets this original obexd started? i mean after reboot it stills runs for me without pbap, maybe i should change it from somewhere else.
you probably still have another obexd process running. Check it out with the 'ps' command and if so use 'killall obexd' to stop it before starting a new one.

The Following User Says Thank You to mirakels For This Useful Post:
the problem is not the --debug or --nodeamon switches.
The second versions also ommits the --capability switch (and its argument).
Apperantly the capabilitties are needed by pc-suite. I guess it tells pc-suit all the relevant info about your n900 (serial number, software version etc. )

Just try to run the /usr/bin/gen-obex-capability.sh script from an x-terminal and see for yourself what info will be passed
See attached file for the /usr/bin/gen-obex-capability.sh output.

I also tried this:
Just added this "--capability switch" to the default startup command in /usr/share/dbus-1/services/obexd.service like this

Code:
/usr/lib/obex/obexd --nodaemon --opp --ftp --pcsuite --pbap --symlinks --root .obex-root --root-setup /usr/bin/obex-root-setup --capability !/usr/bin/gen-obex-capability.sh
and executed as root in xTerm.

This way I got connected to PC Suite successfully!

I assume, if the CLRF issue is fixed in hschmitts obexd we would have a working PBAP implementation AND PC Suite support!?
Attached Files
File Type: txt gen-obex-capability.sh.txt (2.8 KB, 161 views)

you probably still have another obexd process running. Check it out with the 'ps' command and if so use 'killall obexd' to stop it before starting a new one.
but i have no obexd running. with killall obexd it is gone from ps list. but still i get this Cant' register with session bus error.

Also I dont get it from where this obexd is run without --pbap option if i have it clearly stated in /usr/share/dbus-1/services/obexd.service file?

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oulu, Finland
I've problem that I can start the obexd with debug mode only if I start it using root shell accessible with root command (which I think means wiht super user rights "sudo gainroot --use-su"). It doesn't start if I have only given "sudo gainroot" command first.

Tags
bada rox, bluetooth, carkit, contacts, irmc sync, pbap profile