Posts: 103 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Istanbul, Turkey

This device is big indeed, but comparing to a slipper? Ahahaha, surely the funniest size comparison I have yet seen in my life...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gecebekcisi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't use my keyboard on the N810 that much, except when I have to for certain programs. It's a surprisingly bad keyboard, I think, even compared to the keys on my Centro.

I recently made an embarrassing discovery -- I think that the "thumbboard" or whatever it's called on my N810 is really nice for many purposes. I just had never tried it much till lately, so it's a new feature for me

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
I don't like it because it takes up the whole screen, and I sometimes forget the context in which I was typing.
Well, we don't all have a 5-second attention span, Jay...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
Oh, my mistake.

I thought everyone was constantly trying to will things to happen.

Must just be me.
/me wills Jay to have a 10-second attention span.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
My thought commands, not my thoughts.
Assuming the phone accesses your thought commands in user mode.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Reasons I'm glad the N900 isn't like this:

1) doesn't have a keyboard

2) too big to be a phone (4.3", maybe 4.5" is about as big as I'd go), and yet too small to be a mid-range (netbook, umpc size tablet, etc.)

3) no dpad (nor arrow keys)

An Android or Maemo tablet at 9" or 10" -- yes, good. Even without a keyboard (as long as it'll take a USB keyboard, and hook up to a KVM). A 4.1"-4.5" Android or Maemo phone (with physical keyboard) -- yes, good.

5" non-phone no-keyboard tablet? No thanks. Not even with Android or Maemo.

Why is screen-size always measured in inches here. This 'huge' 5" Dell has the exact same resolution as the N900, so you should be able fit the same amount of web page on the screen anyway. Stuff will ofcourse be a fair bit smaller on the N900, and for some people that will mean more zooming on the N900, but even then this Dell won't get that much more content onto the larger screen.
It does make the battery run out faster though (more backlight) but it will probably also make the device a bit cheaper.

Anyway, you should all buy whatever you like, not what I like (unless your planning to send it to me )

The Following User Says Thank You to AVee For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Psh. In a perfect world all phones would read my thought commands.
Yes, all devices are insufficient until they come with DWIM technology.

(DWIM == "Do What I Mean" ... we used to joke about adding that instruction to our assembly level designs in classes, as an optional "to be implemented in a future release" instruction)

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Allow me to qualify my remark then: it doesn't need an integrated keyboard IMO.

If I'm doing work that requires "huge amounts of text", then odds are I won't use a tablet or "mobile computer" for that anyway. But different strokes, etc.
I might use a tablet or mobile computer for it. Hooked up to an external keyboard at a meeting. Or on a KVM at my desk. But definitely not using a thumb keyboard, nor an onscreen keyboard.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
I might use a tablet or mobile computer for it. Hooked up to an external keyboard at a meeting. Or on a KVM at my desk. But definitely not using a thumb keyboard, nor an onscreen keyboard.
True, and I've done so. The reality is that use cases don't have to suffer "black and white" handoffs from one platform to another. There are various modes and appendages one could employ to make transitions more gradual. For example, the next step up from your scenario is using video out to an external monitor.

Tags
competition, dell, fresh-air, i has it ;), just shoot me, no keyboard, no linux, notnokia, wotnokia?