Poll: Do your N900 have Dead or Stuck pixel?
Poll Options
Do your N900 have Dead or Stuck pixel?

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ United Kingdom
I contacted Nokia UK by email but after no response, I rang them. The lady on the phone sent me an email with a free post label on it. I am to send this phone back and a replacement will be sent to me once received.

A few hours after phoning them, I received an email saying I was to take the phone to a repair centre and they can decide if the phone needs repairing. It's a good job I rang them, I prefer the response the lady gave me than the response from email.

okay so on my previous device i had a few dead pixels.

i got a replacement last saturday and now i finally noticed again like 5 dead pixels divided on the display.

since each N900 seems to differ in how many or no dead pixels, gap at the keyboard, gps working fast or slow, unexpected reboots or not and wifi problem or not etc. should i take a chance with this one because all seems to work fine.

fairly good gps, way faster than previous device, only few scratches on back and already made 2 tiny ones on the screen.
there is a gap with light shining between keyboard and bottom of the device so i really dont know what to do anymore. to be honest im getting a little aggrovated by this whole thing.

how big a chance i would get an absolute flawless device next time? my guestimation is chances are nihil.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Devil View Post
okay so on my previous device i had a few dead pixels.

i got a replacement last saturday and now i finally noticed again like 5 dead pixels divided on the display.

since each N900 seems to differ in how many or no dead pixels, gap at the keyboard, gps working fast or slow, unexpected reboots or not and wifi problem or not etc. should i take a chance with this one because all seems to work fine.

fairly good gps, way faster than previous device, only few scratches on back and already made 2 tiny ones on the screen.
there is a gap with light shining between keyboard and bottom of the device so i really dont know what to do anymore. to be honest im getting a little aggrovated by this whole thing.

how big a chance i would get an absolute flawless device next time? my guestimation is chances are nihil.
Why settle for anything less than perfect? Are Nokia paying for the return postage? If so keep sending them back until they get it right. I understand that this is probably an inconvenience for you but the more that go back for these issues the quicker these faults will be rectified.

The Following User Says Thank You to Magel282 For This Useful Post:
well its user preference but yeah shame on nokia

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Hafnia
Just an small update, today I send my N900 in for repairs, about the dead pixel problem, dust under display, and slider that seemed loose when closed. Unfortunately Nokia only has a 7 days DOA policy, so not possible to get a new device, even though I tried hard .

But if it gets fixed, than it is ok, a new device is always to prefer, but the chance is quite big to get another one with same or even worse problems.

Anyway will keep you updated, and see if this pixels problem can get fixed by turning the device in to a service shop .

The Following User Says Thank You to whc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Russia
I had checked more than 15 NOKIA N900 in 2 NOKIA's shops few days ago... Situation is really bad...
Before that checking I bought one. I was mistaking when didn't switch brightness of LCD to max. I didn't know about that because thought that N900 has fully auto brightness.
Later when using it I had found screen options and turned brightness to max. After that I saw black screen in the file manager and there was a lot of shiny dots. White and purple colours dominated. Many of usual size and a lot of small dots. Some of them are annoying.
There was no good N900 for replacement in the retail NOKIA store: more than 7 of N900 had shiny dots, besides that 3 of them had additional defects on the screen - one had small dark area not bigger than 5 millimetres, one had black dot or something that seems black on the white screen, one had tiny damaging on the plastic of the screen.
The second NOKIA retail store hadn't any good N900 too. More than several dots on each one. There was much more of N900 comparing to the first Nokia's store. If I knew Ctrl+Shift+N makes the screen black, I would be saved a lot of time...
One N900 I had checked in anoter - I mean not nokia - store was "shiny" too.
I don't suppose that it is bad pixels (dead or stuck); light leakage may be...
The one I have doesn't contain dust or something that I can see with the flashlight. That shiny one I have placed to repair, because there was no good replacement.
P.S.: shiny dots are visible not always, but from certain angles. Aren't visible on the screen with min brightness, even in dark room.
Once I tried to sum them all: the score is more than 30 light dots.
P.S..: http://deadpixel.googletoad.com/ more than 14 hours.
http://www.topflashers.com/etc/screenfix/ not too long - a few hours.
Didn't help.
P.S...: Made by N900 screenshots(of black) and photos(black and white) are good - no dots on images... But I have forget to do the screenshots of white screen and other colours.
P.S....: my N900 is good with green, red, blue (on blue one white dot that was hardly to find - not too serious), tested with help of http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php

Last edited by talkMAEMOnik; 2010-01-07 at 20:54.

Originally Posted by whc View Post
Just an small update, today I send my N900 in for repairs, about the dead pixel problem, dust under display, and slider that seemed loose when closed. Unfortunately Nokia only has a 7 days DOA policy, so not possible to get a new device, even though I tried hard .

But if it gets fixed, than it is ok, a new device is always to prefer, but the chance is quite big to get another one with same or even worse problems.

Anyway will keep you updated, and see if this pixels problem can get fixed by turning the device in to a service shop .
Will see which one will be repaired sooner, yours or mine.

Last edited by talkMAEMOnik; 2010-01-08 at 06:03.

I have what seems to be two, maybe three, stuck pixels. Stuck on white, making a sort of tiny diagonal dot, lower left to upper right direction. It's just down and left of center screen - a pretty obtrusive area, if you ask me. Anything with a dark screen and these pixels jump right out at you.

What should I do, then? Bother with a repair/replacement? I'm just asking about other's experiences and opinions.

Originally Posted by oldpmaguy View Post
I have what seems to be two, maybe three, stuck pixels. Stuck on white, making a sort of tiny diagonal dot, lower left to upper right direction. It's just down and left of center screen - a pretty obtrusive area, if you ask me. Anything with a dark screen and these pixels jump right out at you.

What should I do, then? Bother with a repair/replacement? I'm just asking about other's experiences and opinions.
If you know where is located one of the good N900 and you can get it from there - ask for returning the money and then buy the good one.
If you have the chance to check the N900s, one of which could be the possible replacement - so, find the fine N900 for replacement.
If you aren't sure about what the quality will be of the possible replacement - may be you should ask for repairing.
Or make the replacements all the time until you get the good N900.

Last edited by talkMAEMOnik; 2010-01-08 at 06:27.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Hafnia
Yes you money back, or swap it for a new one as DOA (within 7 days), and last and maybe the most secure model, it to get it fixed by a service shop.

When I search my repair, I get "spare part ordered", so maybe this is a new screen .

The Following User Says Thank You to whc For This Useful Post:

Tags
stop the pixel genocide!!, who is murdering pixels??