Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
I don't think locked bootloaders would be a problem - Samsung's been pretty generous with regard to hacking their devices (huge rootfs space, kernel source, unlocked bootloaders, etc.)
Not so much regarding speed of updates and Touchwiz (which even version 4.0, tbh, looks cheap), but they do come eventually.

The problem I have with all smartphones (GNote and SGS2 included) is that the tiny battery simply cannot keep up with the powerful SoCs and bright screens they put in them. The recess on the back of the SGS2 shows that they're putting extreme thin-ness above all else. I'd gladly trade 2-5mm more thickness for a more battery capacity.
I thought that the GNote has better battery life than most phones?
Since it has space for a larger battery. I do agree that I would take battery size over thickness, that's why the RAZR Maxx sounds tempting.

That's true.
But watching those that have dissembled the NOTE, its clear the device is thicker than it needs to be. There's a couple desing tweeks that can be made to shave off 0.5 to 1.5mm without affecting the battery size (2500mAh).

And having it somewhat thin (8.8mm) would make it slip in and out of pockets even better!

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
I have the Galaxy player 5", and the Note it quite a bit wider and longer. I don't see how you can comfortably have a long phone conversation with the Note.

Can anyone help on the below or have you experienced the same issue on an upgrade. I dont want to do a factory reset to get back to the earlier version for obvious reasons.....

Originally Posted by ckeszei View Post
Has anyone else lost their next word prediction whilst typing messages using XT9 following a Gingerbread update to Gingerbread.XXLA6?

It worked beautifully before and now it suggests a word but rather than offering you the opportunity to select it, it simply enters it and adds your typing to the end of that new word.... Very frustrating

The kernel info is 2.6.35.7N7000XXLA6-CL907341dpi@DELL174#2

Can anyone help on the below or have you experienced the same issue on an upgrade. I dont want to do a factory reset to get back to the earlier version for obvious reasons.....
No mine worked normally but I never updated for fear of losing r00t.
I suggest going on xda or Rootzwiki forums, and finding out if there is anyone with the same phone as yours (kernel ##). See if they have a nandroid backup and flash that with CWM.

It would hopefully get you back to the start. Then you have to follow these steps:
-root + cwm (again)
-install Titanium Backup
-backup all your app + data & SYSTEM DATA
(the keyboard will be a system data)
-flash to any custom rom OR do official update
-(if lost) root device again
-install Titanium again
-restore your apps with data, and your SYSTEM DATA

I've got the latest ICStunner 1.4.19 on there, at last a good performing AOKP ROM ! I've also got MIUI running (Beta V6), not bad for a beta, but somewhat laggy and buggy. It will be sweet when MIUI gets their **** together and a proper (high quality) one is released.

I'm flattered

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Since Elop is going to Kamikaze Nokia into Android and Apple so that Microhard can buy it and its patents to continue to patent troll other companies I think I will get the Note if it comes to Tmobile.
There are lots of people in the world that are not short that need a bigger phone and I'm glad Samsung made the note. I'm only 6'1" which is above average male height for the US but I have a friend that is 6'3" and I recommended a phone with a big screen to him when he asked me about a year ago and he loves it.

The Following User Says Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Posts: 55 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Pompey, UK
I fixed it by doing the following:

settings - language and keyboard - samsung keypad - xt9 advanced settings - switch OFF next word prediction

Originally Posted by gordonshowers View Post
I fixed it by doing the following:

settings - language and keyboard - samsung keypad - xt9 advanced settings - switch OFF next word prediction

Thanks Gordon, however I was trying to keep the functionality that I lost in my eagerness to update. Lesson learnt

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Planet Earth, sometimes
I finally am joining you splitters and my trusty N900 will be replaced with a Samsung Note arriving tomorrow.

What is the best forum to frequent for the Samsung Note?

Also what do you think are the must have apps to install?

Thanks,
Menno

The Following User Says Thank You to menno For This Useful Post:
^XDA is your place to go.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlackWindEXE For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, galaxy note