Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
link me to the latest estel image or alike . did he release it or i am missing something
Waiting for it too!!!!

how do I use sulu's armhf? I get chroot /bin/sh exec format error. I put it in mydocs and ran easy debian. is it ext2 or another format? thanks in advance.

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
The compressed image contains an ext2 file system. So you have to unlzma the image (the destination or its file system doesn't matter) and tell Easy Debian to use that image.
To do that make sure the chroot is closed (via the corresponding Easy Debian icon), edit /home/user/.chroot and enter the destination path in the IMGFILE line.

If you extracted the image to MyDocs this line should look like this:
Code:
IMGFILE=/home/user/MyDocs/debian_wheezy3sulu_armhf.img
If you ned further assistance please post the contents of your /home/user/.chroot file and this output (including the full path):
Code:
md5sum /path/to/your/extracted/image/file
btw: Are you running kernel power (it's part of CSSU)?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by leetnoob View Post
ok , got it working. it's much better than my method above as

1. the pc keyboard is mapped properly, could even use the scroll rocker
2. there is no issue with post connection launched apps having huge fonts.

here's what i did in case anyone else wants it:

1. install tightvncserver via symantic
2. go to maemo terminal
3. type : debbie
4. type : tightvncserver -geometry 1400x1050 :1 (or whatever resolution your pc has)
5. type startlxde1

you will be asked to enter a password for users to use when connecting at step 4

when you connect from your pc specify ipaddress:1 e.g. 192.168.1.1:1

amazing stuff.
I followed these instructions (minus the typo in (4.), which should be:

tightvncserver :1 -geometry 1400x1050

However, when I try to run startlxde1 I get:

** ERROR **: Only one lxsession can be executed at a time. Aborting...

I've tried multiple times, even after a full reboot of the N900 to no avail. Any ideas?

I'm using the m5estel image, by the way.

Thanks to qole, estel, sulu, and many others in this thread. This is a fantastic program which adds even more value to the great N900.

Last edited by malfunctioning; 2014-10-13 at 17:21.

Originally Posted by seanmcken View Post
plzzzzz explain how to install avidemux????????
Estel is correct that normally it would only require to do
Code:
apt-get install avidemux
Assuming you have te right repositories enabled in /etc/apt/sources.list and that your packages list has been updated by running
Code:
apt-get update
This doesn't work for me though, because the deb-multimedia.org repository has no avidemux armel binary for squeeze (I'm using Estel's image). And I also have the squeeze backports enabled.

Anybody successfully installed avidemux in squeeze? How did you do it?

The Following User Says Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
tightvncserver :1 -geometry 1400x1050

However, when I try to run startlxde1 I get:

** ERROR **: Only one lxsession can be executed at a time. Aborting...

I've tried multiple times, even after a full reboot of the N900 to no avail. Any ideas?
I wasn't able to reproduce the same error message with my Wheezy image but my guess is that you have an Easy Debian desktop open in parallel to the vnc session you want to start. This ED desktop runs on DISPLAY :1 and vnc servers under Linux by default try to start a new X session on a new DISPLAY. Essentially you're trying to run two lxsessions on one DISPLAY which it apparently doesn't like.
If I try your command without having an ED window open it works. I can also start a new ED vnc session on a new DISPLAY when I already have an ED window open:
Code:
tightvncserver :2 -geometry 1400x1050
The catch is, that this is a new ED desktop and not the same you see on your N900, which is probably not what you want.

I'm not familiar with tightvncserver but it seems to me there is no way to connect it to an already running X session. For my HTPC I deliberately chose x11vnc because it's able to open a vnc session on an already running X session which means you can access the same desktop via vnc that you see on your machine.
To make it short, with this command I was able to run a vnc session on the ED desktop:
Code:
x11vnc -display :1 -shared
For some reason I don't fully understand I then have to instruct my viewer to connect to the correct port instead of the correct display, but it works and I see my ED desktop on my PC:
Code:
xtightvncviewer 192.168.1.3::5900

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
I wasn't able to reproduce the same error message with my Wheezy image but my guess is that you have an Easy Debian desktop open in parallel to the vnc session you want to start. This ED desktop runs on DISPLAY :1 and vnc servers under Linux by default try to start a new X session on a new DISPLAY. Essentially you're trying to run two lxsessions on one DISPLAY which it apparently doesn't like.
If I try your command without having an ED window open it works. I can also start a new ED vnc session on a new DISPLAY when I already have an ED window open:
Code:
tightvncserver :2 -geometry 1400x1050
The catch is, that this is a new ED desktop and not the same you see on your N900, which is probably not what you want.
Thank you, sulu. Actually, I am not starting an LXDE session. I just rebooted the system, opened a terminal, enterred the debbie environment, and was unable to start ldxe on display :1. I'm going to assume I've messed the configuration in LXDE somehow, so I'll look into it.

I was able to start on :2, so thanks for that.

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
I'm not familiar with tightvncserver but it seems to me there is no way to connect it to an already running X session. For my HTPC I deliberately chose x11vnc because it's able to open a vnc session on an already running X session which means you can access the same desktop via vnc that you see on your machine.
To make it short, with this command I was able to run a vnc session on the ED desktop:
Code:
x11vnc -display :1 -shared
For some reason I don't fully understand I then have to instruct my viewer to connect to the correct port instead of the correct display, but it works and I see my ED desktop on my PC:
Code:
xtightvncviewer 192.168.1.3::5900
While my intent was to start a completely new graphical session, I think it will be useful for me to attach to an already running X11, excellent tip for doing that!

I might install x11vnc just to test this.

The Following User Says Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
oance again why DO YOU PEOPLE WANT TO INSTALL DEBIAN ON N900,ONLY TO SHOW ....WHAT?

Last edited by qole; 2014-10-14 at 04:43.

Originally Posted by SHARP66 View Post
oance again why DO YOU PEOPLE WANT TO INSTALL DEBIAN ON N900,ONLY TO SHOW ....wHAT?

/
I Thanked your post by mistake, and then I removed my Thanks. Then I tried to remove them again but it didn't work (it seems the number of Thanks must be a Natural number, whereas I was shooting for an Integer).

If I thought you weren't just trolling MAYBE I WOULD RESPOND TO YOUR POST WITH A REAL ANSWER, BUT...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm still hosting the ED files, but I haven't seen any new files to host from anyone...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze