Active Topics

Hi all.
I was wondering if it's possible to run asterisk or any other PBX software on our N9 and have the possiblity to use our phone as a GSM channel, so that the PBX can place and receive calls via the mobile operator/sim card

Originally Posted by paoletto View Post
Hi all.
I was wondering if it's possible to run asterisk or any other PBX software on our N9 and have the possiblity to use our phone as a GSM channel, so that the PBX can place and receive calls via the mobile operator/sim card
I think it is.
was playing with openbts on Jolla but never got around finishing it......

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 385 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Madrid, Spain
Hi.
I'm not sure how easy it would be to run an instance of asterisk inside the N9 but if that is the case I would open an GPRS/UMTS ip connection and use it as the outgoing trunk. You would need a voip account to connect to, but configuration should certainly be easier.
I'm supposing that you would use the phone's Wifi as a hotspot for the VOIP clients, right?
Regards.

Originally Posted by pasko View Post
Hi.
I'm not sure how easy it would be to run an instance of asterisk inside the N9 but if that is the case I would open an GPRS/UMTS ip connection and use it as the outgoing trunk. You would need a voip account to connect to, but configuration should certainly be easier.
I'm supposing that you would use the phone's Wifi as a hotspot for the VOIP clients, right?
Regards.
Hi, yes, what i meant is to have the N9 connected to the internet via WIFi and use the GSM modem only for calls. The asterisk server could have SIP accounts and talk sip to its clients/peers, or just be used connected to another asterisk PBX via SIP/IAX trunking. Could be useful, for example, if one has to go abroad, and doesn't want to be charged for calls in own countries.
Then the N9 and related sim card could be left at home, connected to wifi, and from abroad calls could be routed to/from it via VoIP

Having the N9 (or Jolla) respond to GSM calls.
Yes, i think its possible. Doable, no, too many obsticles. And for sure not "easy".

To act like VoIP server - yes, that is doable, and not too much difficult.

For GSM calls, to put it short, you can do it. To make it sound simple, route the GSM traffic (calls) and let openBTS handle it. In real life, not really a simple job. Least to say, creating a working package that will just install.