Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Hi, following the Maemo community activities has been always an intensive task but still was relatively feasible in the past. Not anymore, and we don't expect the volume of communication to diminish.

So what about agreeing on the channels that we officially follow? I think this is also useful for the own community members willing to know what is really going on.
  • Bugzilla: all software related problems to be reported there. The Bugsquad team helps triaging and prioritizing.
  • Brainstorm: feature proposals. Votes and popularity count. How you negotiate this with Bugzilla enhancements is up to you.
  • http://maemo.org/news highlights. Karma news count.
  • http://maemo.org/downloads. The most popular apps there are candidates to be promoted in Maemo Select.
  • maemo-developers list and Development forum at talk.maemo.org. Support channels for developers. We do our best answering developer questions there.
  • Community forum and maemo.org development sprints for any support to the web / community infrastructure.
  • The Maemo community council has a red telephone to be used as they wish.

This means that everybody willing to interface and influence the Maemo Devices team can
  • Vote, comment, test and file bugs. And also get involved in the Bugsquad team.
  • Rate ideas in the Brainstorm and propose their own.
  • Rate and post news aggregated to maemo.org/news.
  • Download software, rate it and share your feedback at http://maemo.org/downloads.
  • Ask your developer questions in the right places and help finding and documenting the right answers.
  • Get involved in the Community forum and the maemo.org sprints.
  • Vote your preferred Council candidates and run for election yourself. Make sure your voice is heard if you have something important to say not covered through the channels mentioned above.

Does this list make sense to you? Anything unclear or missing? I will refine this text based on your feedback and it will end up pretty soon in a documented wiki page.

The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
As said few times before, one thing that could be improved is the visibility of the right threads. There is many of them in forums not directly covered by the list above, but only finding them takes a lot of time. Specially when they happen to be sub-threads inside a long long generic discussion.

Please consider being a bit more strict producing or spinning off focused discussion on specific topics. We have a good example in the "Portrait mode" thread that started inside a generic thread and ended up having opinions of ragnar, konttori or myself (people directly involved in the development of Maemo). You can also help rising the attention on the right threads by pushing them through maemo.org/news (your blog, direct promotion could be considered as well).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Pistoia, Italy
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
  • Bugzilla: all software related problems to be reported there. The Bugsquad team helps triaging and prioritizing.
  • Brainstorm: feature proposals. Votes and popularity count. How you negotiate this with Bugzilla enhancements is up to you.
  • http://maemo.org/news highlights. Karma news count.
  • http://maemo.org/downloads. The most popular apps there are candidates to be promoted in Maemo Select.
  • maemo-developers list and Development forum at talk.maemo.org. Support channels for developers. We do our best answering developer questions there.
  • Community forum and maemo.org development sprints for any support to the web / community infrastructure.
  • The Maemo community council has a red telephone to be used as they wish.
this means that #maemo IRC channel on FreeNode is not official?
We use it not only to chat, but even to ask tech support, both users and developers. We do Sprint Meetings too on IRC
Maybe you forgot about it?

The Following User Says Thank You to andy80 For This Useful Post:
The contact details from Reporting security issues in Maemo should probably be in there somewhere.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by andy80 View Post
this means that #maemo IRC channel on FreeNode is not official?
We use it not only to chat, but even to ask tech support, both users and developers. We do Sprint Meetings too on IRC
Maybe you forgot about it?
By not including #maemo in the list we are simply saying: don't expect to have someone from Maemo Devices following the activity 24/7 there. Even if chances are that you can get a reliable answer there and faster than any other channel.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Organize formal lines of communication, what a great idea, I only wish I had thought of it myself

Glad to see some steps in the right direction, perhaps we can use a n900 to follow them all in one location
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
ragnar, konttori or myself (people directly involved in the development of Maemo)
Can we have a list of all the people from Maemo Devices that post here. Or maybe a better way to recognise that someone is a Nokian. Like different colour of username or something.

The Following User Says Thank You to ColdFusion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
Can we have a list of all the people from Maemo Devices that post here. Or maybe a better way to recognise that someone is a Nokian. Like different colour of username or something.
A "Who's Who" list was something that was considered last year, but due to a number a number of people wishing to remain off of the list and the availability of the tag in the maemo.org profile as a reasonable alternative it was never created.

I think the one big issue with identifying Nokians is that the vast majority of the Nokians participating in this community are not doing so as Nokia employees but merely as community members like the rest of us.* Unfortunately as certain people here are utterly incapable of separating these roles, it's likely to be counterproductive and potentially harmful to identify, and thus set apart, the Nokians in this community (of which there are many).

So while the people acting in an official capacity should definitely be identifiable (if not necessarily "branded"), I don't think it would be productive to mark all of the Nokians here.

*In fact, the only two people who are likely to be acting in an official capacity with anything approaching regularity are Peter and Quim.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2009-11-15 at 21:32. Reason: Forgot the footnote asterisk

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I had asked for something similar last year sometime on Bugzilla but we pretty much came to that same conclusion anyways. I think that the fact they aren't branded as Nokia employees gives some people the impression that Nokia doesn't really take part in the community when it's really far from being the case.

The reality is that we have some Nokia employees that believe in Maemo and the community so much that they come here to be a part of it... just like us.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I think the one big issue with identifying Nokians is that the vast majority of the Nokians participating in this community are not doing as Nokia employees but merely as community members like the rest of us.

*In fact, the only two people who are likely to be acting in an official capacity with anything approaching regularity are Peter and Quim.
Well I only would want to get those members marked that are actually posting officially from Nokia. So that when someone says "there'll probably be portrait mode by the end of the year" I know it comes from someone that knows what he's talking about.

I have no problem with Nokians that are just regular community members like us. But with the influx of new members that is sure to come, there should be an easy way to distinguish regular and official users. I have already seen a new member that confused a regular poster for a Nokia employee.

Community councils should also be easier to identify.

The Following User Says Thank You to ColdFusion For This Useful Post: