Posts: 73 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Canada
hello all. i want to ask a question that we all know that smartphones has ram processors in it bt there are many other phones which are just simple phones or some java based e.g samsung e 1080t or nokia c1 or x2. how do these mobiles work without ram and processors and if they have y it is not mentioned in specs? i mean how these mobile works

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
of course they have a processor and RAM. there's really no difference other than the operating system used.

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Canada
then y its not mentioned anywhere

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Simple phones are not designed to be running user apps so they don't need to specify specs since they know all the current software will run perfectly. This is not the case with "smartphones" that can run user applications that may consum alot of power.

The Following User Says Thank You to antezz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
A low-end phone may use a SOC or "System on a chip". This is a custom dsigned chip containing the processor, the ram, the IO controls, everything. Expensive to design but cheap to produce in large quantities.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
The N900 has an omap3 SOC too.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by n70shan View Post
then y its not mentioned anywhere
Even for "smartphones" there should be no need to specify the CPU, RAM or any other architectural details. As long as you can install "apps" and they run, then it's OK.

But of course with the added flexibility of installing lots of applications and, especially, multi-tasking, CPU/RAM becomes a useful factor for comparing phones, and that's why you see it in the specs.