Notices

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Thanks for answer, Nicolai. If I understand it correctly, raw imagedata is the same, no matter who pick it up (fCam or camera-ui). So, fCam creates .dng file (from mentioned raw imagedata) differently? It is even possible?
Working with cameras all day, yes.. it's quite possible. There are about 80 different knobs and tuning parameters on CCD chips these days, and the controllers that operate them can have literally hundreds, depending on how complex they are. Given the N900 has integrated optics, amplification, and compression bits... I'd be very surprised if the raws from two different apps without identical shared camera/chip setup code got the same raw from a single CCD. Not to mention things like drift and noise, which will change from shot to shot in the same app.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Thanks for answer, Nicolai. If I understand it correctly, raw imagedata is the same, no matter who pick it up (fCam or camera-ui). So, fCam creates .dng file (from mentioned raw imagedata) differently? It is even possible?
The source of the raw image is the same (camera memory). But of course,
the image data itself depends on the capture settings (iso and
exposure time).
My camera-ui uses the stock camera driver settings, whereas fCam uses a wider/finer range of exposure settings.

Furthermore, CornerFix is FOSS, so there is a chance that it's going to be ported to N900 (which, in tandem with ufRAW, supply us with whole 'photolab' on device).
Looks like a no-go.
From the CornerFix README:
"In order to compile this, you need to download the Adobe DNG SDK 1.3, and recompile it"

And Adobe DNG Software Development Kit (SDK)
is only available for windows and mac.

The Following User Says Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
The source of the raw image is the same (camera memory). But of course,
the image data itself depends on the capture settings (iso and
exposure time).
My camera-ui uses the stock camera driver settings, whereas fCam uses a wider/finer range of exposure settings.
CornerFix is very sensitive to overexposed highlights and fCam's ability to control shutter speed / ISO make a big difference.

The Following User Says Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
Hi Nicolai. Do you think there is any way to address what looks to be compression on the dark side of the tone curve. Thx.

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
Hi Nicolai. Do you think there is any way to address what looks to be compression on the dark side of the tone curve. Thx.
What tone curve?

Using 720p-recording enabled camera-ui, every time I try any ISO other than ''automatic'' (in photo mode, of course), viewfinder goes totally black, and resulting photos are also 100% black - no matter of lighting conditions. Could anyone confirm this? Also, could anyone check if this happen on CSSU-t camera-ui (*without* 720p video recording control)?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
What tone curve?
He probably mean things mentioned in other thread:

Originally Posted by geohsia
What I'm convinced of is that what we have really isn't RAW. By that I mean something is goofy because when you take photos of a properly lit scene let's say a tree in the shadow, the shadow cutoff is so much more extreme on RAW. No matter how you kick up exposure, Brightrness and it is hard to recover data from the shadows.

If you look at the JPG you see detail there and it looks fine. Significantly more data. So what does that mean? As far as i'm concerned RAW on the N900 is really not that much better than JPG and in most cases JPG will give you a better file.

As for why your guess is as good as mine.
So, basically, there are some details - especially in shadows - that are "lost" while using RAW (not possible to recover even with extreme settings during RAW development on appropriate software), but are present in jpegs. So, geohsia assumes, that - beside Nokia's RAW-to-JPEG development closed source algorithms - there is something else ''wrong'' with our RAWs.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Plovdiv, Bulgaria
I was going to check Estel's ISO problem when I found out my device didn't support 720p anymore (and I am pretty positive it did)...
I reinstalled everything 720p related + freemangordon's latest camera-ui2. His version is 1.1.29.2+0cssu7 and I had 1.1.29.2+0cssu8 (CSSU update replaced his version?). Reboot and it works again!

Back to Estel's problem: in both versions (0cssu7 and 0cssu8) manual ISO on both video and pictures does not black out the viewfinder and captured output is fine also.

The Following User Says Thank You to tecs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tecs View Post
I was going to check Estel's ISO problem when I found out my device didn't support 720p anymore (and I am pretty positive it did)...
I reinstalled everything 720p related + freemangordon's latest camera-ui2. His version is 1.1.29.2+0cssu7 and I had 1.1.29.2+0cssu8 (CSSU update replaced his version?). Reboot and it works again!

Back to Estel's problem: in both versions (0cssu7 and 0cssu8) manual ISO on both video and pictures does not black out the viewfinder and captured output is fine also.
CSSU replaced version with cssu8 - You can replace it with cssu7, but You'll got "broken dependencies" errors, after trying to install anything. One way to get around it is pinning package in apt-get (can't do that in fapman). Other method is to unpack cssu7 version, change cssu7 to cssu8 in control file, and dpkg pack it again. I'm using this exact method. I was explained in this thread, if I remember correctly.
---

Thanks for checking my issue. Still, I have no idea, what may be causing it (I doubt tweaking control file does?).

// Edit

OK, I'm pretty sure there is some voodoo'ing involved, but I've checked it moment ago, and now it's working flawlessly (including viewfinder changing brightness in higher ISO). For few days - including yesterday - it wasn't working, and I was scratching my head about possible issue, until reporting here. I wasn't installing anything related (just Cleven-experimental) or messing with any settings in-between.

So, sorry for false alarm, but I have no idea what was causing that. I'm glad it works, anyway...

// Edit 2

Ok, it wasn't voodoo after all. This bug still exist - it manifest itself only, if one choose (+) exposure (via tool button) and manual ISO. On all (-) exposure everything is fine, but on any (+) exposure and manual ISO selection, screen goes 100% black and resulting photos are also 100% black.

// Edit 3

The resulting photos and viewfinder isn't 100% black - if I direct device into strong light source, I can actually barely see it (both in viewfinder and resulting photos). Then strange thing is that, it's same for every ISO settings - even 1600 one! And, as I've said, it's happening only on (+) exposure settings (for example, + 0.5, +1.0 etc)
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2012-01-08 at 01:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
CSSU replaced version with cssu8 - You can replace it with cssu7, but You'll got "broken dependencies" errors, after trying to install anything. One way to get around it is pinning package in apt-get (can't do that in fapman). Other method is to unpack cssu7 version, change cssu7 to cssu8 in control file, and dpkg pack it again. I'm using this exact method. I was explained in this thread, if I remember correctly.
---

Thanks for checking my issue. Still, I have no idea, what may be causing it (I doubt tweaking control file does?).

// Edit

OK, I'm pretty sure there is some voodoo'ing involved, but I've checked it moment ago, and now it's working flawlessly (including viewfinder changing brightness in higher ISO). For few days - including yesterday - it wasn't working, and I was scratching my head about possible issue, until reporting here. I wasn't installing anything related (just Cleven-experimental) or messing with any settings in-between.

So, sorry for false alarm, but I have no idea what was causing that. I'm glad it works, anyway...

// Edit 2

Ok, it wasn't voodoo after all. This bug still exist - it manifest itself only, if one choose (+) exposure (via tool button) and manual ISO. On all (-) exposure everything is fine, but on any (+) exposure and manual ISO selection, screen goes 100% black and resulting photos are also 100% black.

// Edit 3

The resulting photos and viewfinder isn't 100% black - if I direct device into strong light source, I can actually barely see it (both in viewfinder and resulting photos). Then strange thing is that, it's same for every ISO settings - even 1600 one! And, as I've said, it's happening only on (+) exposure settings (for example, + 0.5, +1.0 etc)
I can confirm this, I'm using CCU8 package, I hadn't had time to document it, and I have also been trying a lot of things at the same time (BFS, 720p, NITDroid, etc), so I hadn't found time to check it correctly.
But actually your description is accurate. I would add I have to change back to Automatic ISO to have a change to get again EV compensation working (and not black screen)...

I've also found it's really hard to "autofocus" when there is too low light... BlessN900 and Fcamera both focus faster on the same conditions...
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

Last edited by strange1712; 2012-01-08 at 04:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strange1712 For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera-ui, fremantle